What's new

My mother made me laugh.

misa.j

先輩
6 May 2004
I was talking to my mother on the phone a few days ago, and she said something funny and very Japanese.

My mother has always been a kind of mother who liked to tell me how to dress or how not to dress, and I went against what she told me to most of the time. She wanted me to look feminine, but I grew up as a tomboy and wore clothes that she didn't like.

I sent her some pictures of me hiking which she liked, but she started to tell me how I should wear a make up on. She sounded shocked when I told her that I didn't even wear one when I went to work and was a Japanese way of thinking that you had to wear a make up at work.

She goes "Americans are bautiful already, so they don't have to wear a make up."

I thought it was pretty funny, and maybe I do need a make-over... Hahaha...

Thanks Frank! I just needed to hear that! :p

But seriously, there should be more people like you.

That's a very funny story Misa. :giggle: I wonder if it's harder growing up a tomboy in Japan? I like your polar bear avatar.

I got in trouble with my girlfriend when she said "sorry, i'm not wearing any makeup today" and I replied "oh, i didn't notice" >_<
(I honestly meant "oh, you look beautiful anyway, please don't smother me to death in my sleep")

Ewok85 said:
I got in trouble with my girlfriend when she said "sorry, i'm not wearing any makeup today" and I replied

1) "oh, i didn't notice" >_<

I honestly meant

2a) ("oh, you look beautiful anyway")

2b) ("please don't smother me to death in my sleep")
I think you said the right thing as long as you weren't lying. But do you know why she scolded you, ewok ?
A complement like that is too much to handle; and she needs to get super-super mad, lash out her whip, and let it crackle over your head just to be able to remain composed. What ?
But I can easily see her handling it very well if you told her line 2a)-2b) because it softens your infatuation with a dash of humour. Now that's managable without having to quench your sagave passion for her !

Last edited:
Limonette said:
That's a very funny story Misa. I wonder if it's harder growing up a tomboy in Japan? I like your polar bear avatar.
Thanks. I'm glad you liked both my story and my avater.🙂
It all depends, but you definitely get different reactions from people if you are a tomboy in Japan. I got picked on by boys many times just because I didn't hesitate to say what I wanted to, or I could run faster than they could.

lexico said:
A complement like that is too much to handle
Very true.

misa.j said:
She goes "Americans are bautiful already, so they don't have to wear a make up."

:D:D:D:D:D
Tell that to Hollywood! It's true though what Uncle Frank said, the best beauty is on the inside and that's what counts.:)

Doc 🙂

Yeah, why do they try so hard to change themselves in every artificial way in Hollywood if they're so beautiful already - perhaps just insecure.

Japanese people seem more beautiful to me because they look thinner and healthier over all. Your mother should come to America then she what she thinks. :D Although there are beautiful people from everywhere and I agree that true beauty is on the inside.

HOpefully it just made you tougher being a tomboy in Japan Misa - like the 'boy named Sue' sort of in an opposite kind of way. LOL I think it's interesting that I had two Japanese-American women teachers in school who were very non-stereotypical, very strong and opinionated. So that's the first impresssion that Japanese women had on me, later on I learned of the demure feminine stereotype.

Back
Top Bottom