What's new

My Letter

brinababy87

後輩
11 Jun 2003
Hello Japanese fans. :) I'm really excited because I'm going to Japan to play the piano in a concert! Only three weeks left. I just found out the Japanese family that is going to take care of me today. I really want to send them a letter through fax thanking them for their hospitality, but I don't speak enough Japanese to be sincere as I want to be...

If it's not too much trouble, could someone translate a few sentences for me? It won't be too long. I know some of you guys get these kinds of requests often, but it would be truly helpful to me and I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Hello, Mimura family! My name is Lisa Kenney and I am going to come to Japan soon to play in the piano concert. I am sixteen years old and am in my third year of high school. I don't play any sports, but I like to shop! I am a very dedicated student and piano student. I can speak only a little Japanese. I am very excited about coming to Japan!

Thank you very much for your hospitality! You are very generous!

Lisa

MIURASAN NO GOKAZOKUSAMA KONNICHIWA.
WATASINO NAMAEWA KENNEY LISA DESU. MAMONAKU PIANO ENSOUKAIDE NIHON NI YUKU YOTEIDESU. WATASIWA 16SAI DE KOUKOU 3NEN SEIDESU. SPORT HA SIMASENGA KAIMONOGA SUKIDESU. PIANO NI UTIKONDEIRU GAKUSEIDESU. NIHONGOWA SUKOSHISHIKA HANASEMASEN. NIHON NI YUKUKOTOWO TAIHEN TANOSHIMINI SHITEIMASU. WATASIWO UKEIRETE ITADAKI TAIHEN URESHIIDESU. ANATAGATANO OMOIYARINI TOTTEMO KANSHA SITEIMASU.
LISA
😊

Ah, that reminds me of when I played in concerts... good old days... over 10 years...
At times I think about doing that again. Ah well. Maybe keep it as a nice memory together with some photos.

Allright, I have a Japanese wordpad to type it up. How should I write my letter? Should I go from right to left, up and down, etc? Should I put spaces in between words? Please help!

Don't put spaces because that's not how they'd it and I would put it from right to left because it's on the computer.

Write it just like Jim gave it to you. You can even leave it in romaji, they should be able to read it.

If you really want to write in Japanese characters, do it left-to-right same as in English.

Also, instead of I am very grateful for your concern for me, "I cannot find suitable words to express my gratitude" (Kansha no kimochi wo arawasu tekitouna kotoba wo shirimasen) may sound a little more elevated. I'm not sure. Anyway, a good thing to remember upon leaving or when you literally are speechless :). Along with "I will never forget your kindness to me during my stay in Japan" (Nihontaizai chuu no goshinsetsu wo wasuremasen) and many others you'll doubtless pick up along the way....

Thanks Elizabeth! I'll write those down and I'll be sure to use them. :)

Here it is. Did I do it right? I hope I didn't mess up while typing it...

You need a "す"on よていで was the only thing I saw at first blush, but the particle "わ"'s are also more easily read as "ha"(は). And any kanji that you know (or can pull up with whatever font program you're using) and want to sprinkle in would be fine as well.

😄 I have my letter! I wonder, do you think 三村 is used in place for "mimura" (name of the family)? That's what my wordpad says...

三村 is most probably it, but Mimura is also 美村 (and others?) so I'd simply leave it as Hiragana, or even Katakana. Just make certain any other kanji are spot on ;).

Back
Top Bottom