What's new

MY GOD!...399$ one way to Japan from Canada.

djl_ottawa

Student of Japanese Stuff
6 May 2003
And of course. I cannot take it since I am only going to japan next year and I have to use it before sept/03 if I get it...dammit...dammit...sigh..

Even wife freaked out, she wanted to get them now (but of course, new job cannot take vacation yet). She so wants to go back, even if its for just a visit.

Oh...compared to when we will go it will cost us both 1400$+ each for return flights.

Originally posted by djl_ottawa
Oh...compared to when we will go it will cost us both 1400$+ each for return flights.

Where did you see this and where is the departure?

its from Air canada. trips have to be taken before sept 28th. not sure when sell ends.

its from Air canada. trips have to be taken before sept 28th. not sure when sell ends.

I dunno... give me your travel agents email address! I checked with mine for Air Canada and they wanted over $850... still a good deal for september, but a far cry from what you said!

Last edited:
Originally posted by eimik
Yah, thats totally bogus.

I went to Air Canada - The Official Website
And i couldnt find anything that cheap, unless im just dumb as a doorknob.

So buddy i still hope you can prove me wrong.

They had a special on their website to goto Tokyo for $998, regular price $1298 from Vancouver to Tokyo... can't get any cheaper than that in canada pretty much...

$998 Tokyo Narita (JP) $1298
http://www.aircanada.ca/specials/summer-int_e/YVRe.html

And from ottawa to Tokyo...

$1198 Tokyo Narita (JP) [$1498 normally]

Maybe what you saw was a standby ticket?

Those suck... I couldn't do that!

I chekced Yahoo Travel Japan and found this for Vancouver.

The cheapest return flights are between Kansai and Vancouver for as little as 35.000yen (300US$) . But flight from Tokyo to Vancouver and back start from 45.000yen (400US$).

Originally posted by Maciamo
I chekced Yahoo Travel Japan and found this for Vancouver.

The cheapest return flights are between Kansai and Vancouver for as little as 35.000yen (300US$) . But flight from Tokyo to Vancouver and back start from 45.000yen (400US$).

$300 = 416.55 CAD. Did it say what carrier that was? (I can't read japanese very good)

Let me check to see if I still have the ad at home and I will scan it. it was from our local newspaper. But beleive me it was there :> for something like that I would not make up.

I would call air canada also to see if they still have it.

Originally posted by Erik
$300 = 416.55 CAD. Did it say what carrier that was? (I can't read japanese very good)

The point with discounted internet ticket is that you never know which airline it's going to be till just a few days before the departure date. That's also why it's cheaper.

The point with discounted internet ticket is that you never know which airline it's going to be till just a few days before the departure date. That's also why it's cheaper.

If it's Air Canada, It'll be a good flight! But, yes, your right... every now and again their is a good deal.

From Japan, it's highly seasonal. Prices go up 3, 4 or 5-fold during the golden week (early May), obon (mid-August) and the New Year. Prices are higher much higher in August than any other month. That's usually in winter that it's the cheaper, but there are good deals almost all the time (especially know with SARS, the wars, terrorism, etc.). But nothing can beat prices of flights inside Europe (as cheap as 50 euro from/to almost any major or touristical city). In comparison, the cheapest flight inside Japan is at least 100 euro for a much shorter distance.

From Japan, it's highly seasonal. Prices go up 3, 4 or 5-fold during the golden week (early May), obon (mid-August) and the New Year. Prices are higher much higher in August than any other month. That's usually in winter that it's the cheaper, but there are good deals almost all the time (especially know with SARS, the wars, terrorism, etc.). But nothing can beat prices of flights inside Europe (as cheap as 50 euro from/to almost any major or touristical city). In comparison, the cheapest flight inside Japan is at least 100 euro for a much shorter distance.

Flights in canada can be quite cheap, until the tax kicks in...practically doubles the cost of the ticket then. =( Ah well... C'est la vie. What is in your opinion the cheapest time to fly to japan? I like coming to japan in the spring time... but I have no idea if this is cheap. Seems everytime I went, it's always been around the same price for me.

morning folks....well. I have looked at the full page ad that Air Canada did in our local paper. Its not from Canada. its From Ottawa, Ontario leaving only. Price is 399$ one way, but you must purchase a return flight. Flights MUST be booked before May 16th. and used up before september 23. (all dates are 2003) All prices do not include surcharges and taxes.

morning folks....well. I have looked at the full page ad that Air Canada did in our local paper. Its not from Canada. its From Ottawa, Ontario leaving only. Price is 399$ one way, but you must purchase a return flight. Flights MUST be booked before May 16th. and used up before september 23. (all dates are 2003) All prices do not include surcharges and taxes.

Still seems like a good deal for Ottawa. Gunna buy the ticket? =)
How much would a return cost?

well I would love to buy one. wife is like "Oh come on!...when will we get a price like that." Problem is. We are getting married next year and our honeymoon is in japan (thank god for her having lived there and knowing so many ppl. hotels are NOT even required).

Return would be 399$ X 2. plus surchange and taxes. so 917.7$ with taxes included plus surcharge (whatever amount that is)...

Still cheap if you ask me...we are hoping to buy our tickets 6 months early to get a good deal.

How comes it's so expensive to fly from Canada to Japan. It's much more expensive than from Europe, which is more far at least comparedd to Western Canada). How comes there is a 100% tax in Canada, while in Japan or Europe, it's either included in the price or very low.

How comes it's so expensive to fly from Canada to Japan. It's much more expensive than from Europe, which is more far at least comparedd to Western Canada). How comes there is a 100% tax in Canada, while in Japan or Europe, it's either included in the price or very low.

I think the prices are generally the same as the united states (flying from san fransisco to osaka for example), But as for the taxes, I really don't know what I'm talking about I guess. Looks like international flights, there isn't much tax. I guess I was thinking of domestic flights... this is what I got from aircanada's website for tax from flying from vancouver to tokyo;

Canadian Dollars

Lowest Economy (With Restrictions)

Passenger Type Adult

Base Fare
(QLXMAY) 999.92

Navcan and Surcharges 4.08

Canada Airport Improvement Fee 0.00

Taxes
Canada Security Charge 24.00
Japan Passenger Facilities Charge 24.40

Number of Passengers 1

Total 1,052.40

It's late... maybe the airliners pay lots of tax and it's thrown in our base price.... I dunno...

Prices are higher much higher in August than any other month. That's usually in winter that it's the cheaper, but there are good deals almost all the time (especially know with SARS, the wars, terrorism, etc.).
Is this for tickets just paid for in August or actual travel time?
I'm debating between gambling on a $760.00 Chicago-Tokyo round trip fare purchased before Sep 3 for late Oct-early Nov or waiting until early Oct (supposedly start of off-season rates). I've only contacted the agent used last time, when it was over 1,000 -- but didn't find much price difference at all then. If anyone else has had some experience with these time periods from the US please let me know.

Thanks!

Elizabeth

=> Elizabeth

Of course, that's for travel time. Seasonal prices are different in each country. So prices are high in August or in the golden week if you start from Japan only. From Europe or the States, it doesn't make much difference.

OK--thanks, Maciamo! My so far extremely limited experience with US-Japan rates is that they also tend to be much more reasonable (~600-800) if purchased from Jul-Nov, with sometimes quite low Jul & Aug specials (600-650) for travel before the end of September. And this is through Japanese agents out of Chicago or Detroit, although that shouldn't be a factor with US carriers. ?

Back
Top Bottom