What's new

Multiple conditions

The7thSamurai

Master of the Universe
4 Feb 2005
Can anyone explain how to state multiple conditions in Japanese? Something like, "if I had the time, and if I had the money, I would do it". Or a condition with both a positive and negative in it, "If I had the time, and if I didn't need to do anything special, I would do it".

Cheers!

Can anyone explain how to state multiple conditions in Japanese? Something like, "if I had the time, and if I had the money, I would do it". Or a condition with both a positive and negative in it, "If I had the time, and if I didn't need to do anything special, I would do it".
Cheers!

Just like ordinary sentence, you can list up more than two by using te-form.

e.g.
もし時間があってお金があったら、~したのに。
もし時間があって特にすることがなかったら、~したのに。

:)

Hmm...I just asked my Japanese teacher. She said to use the tari tari suru to ~ form:

果物を食べたりソーダーを飲んだりするとおなかが痛くなります。
If I do things like eat fruit or drink soda then I'll get a stomach ache.

Although this infers that other things will give me a stomach ache too. I guess the te form is used to stop that.

I think the question here is which is more common in usage. I have also heard to use both ~tari when in class but outside of class friends say use ~te.

Well, perhaps it's a stylistic question, but I don't think it's something that is decided by what's more common. I still think it depends on what your focus is, but since you brought it up, I've started to think it may depend on what style you want to use.

Hmm...I just asked my Japanese teacher. She said to use the tari tari suru to ~ form:
If I do things like eat fruit or drink soda then I'll get a stomach ache.
Although this infers that other things will give me a stomach ache too. I guess the te form is used to stop that.
Did she say to use the tari form for the money and time example too ? Somehow that sounds not quite right to me. :geek:

If I eat fruits or drink soda, I'll get a stomach ache.

果物を食べソーダーを飲むとおなかが痛くなります。
If I eat fruits and drink soda, I'll get a stomach ache.

ああ、具体的な例の方がいいですねえ。undrentideさん、具体的な例を挙げてくれてどうもありがとうございました。 :)

So, like I said, it depends on your focus as to how you phrase it.

Although this inferrs that other things will give me a stomach ache too. I guess the te form is used to stop that.
Neither of these forms is exhaustive. Obviously you aren't listing everything possible that could give you a stomachache. 😌

Back
Top Bottom