What's new

Moving to Japan to work: Beginner's help requested

curwenx

後輩
4 Feb 2005
Hi,

I'm a Norwegian 27-year old guy currently based in Shanghai (where I study). I want to go to Japan to work long-term, but I'm not quite sure where to start and how difficult it will be for me to get a job, so I'm looking for advice...

My major is computer science, so I'm mainly looking for a job in that area (I'm a programmer, with specialization in database design and programming). I have a master degree, which I completed entirely in Norway. I have two years full-time working experience and 3 years part-time experience, all in the computer science field. I understand that most foreigners working in Japan teach English, but I'm not so interested in doing that.

My Japanese level is beginners only (I could do level 4 of the proficiency exam relatively effortlessly, but I'd need a good deal of study for level 3, I think.) I definately need a job where the working language is English.

I want to work in the Kansai area, Osaka, Kyoto or Kobe would be best, but anywhere in the Kansai area would be OK. I will also consider Tokyo, but only as a backup option (I understand most jobs for foreigners are found in the Tokyo area).

Oh, and I want to start working around August this year. The absolutely best would be to have a job before then, but I can probably get free lodging if I don't have a job, and I have enough funds to survive a month or two whilst looking for a job.

My main questions are:

- Any good webpages for searching for jobs / posting your resume.

- I'll stay in Japan for about a month (in Kobe) in April, any tips on how to best spend my time there? I'm there primarily to visit my girlfriend, but also for language training and job-searching.

- Visa: I'm Norwegian, so I can stay in Japan for 90 days without a visa. Can I go there, start looking for a job, and then get a proper work permit and visa after I get a job? I assume my employer can help me with that. Also, is there any way to extend the 90-day period without leaving the country? (assuming I don't find a proper job)

---

You may be wondering why I want to go to Japan to work. The short answer is that my Japanese fiancee with whom I am living together in Shanghai is
going back to Japan to finish her university degree. She's from Osaka, so that's the main reason I want to work in the Kansai area.

Thanks, seems there are lots of suitable jobs, but I'm still having a very hard time finding anything in other areas than Tokyo.

As for my other questions, if someone can answer the one about Visas I'd be thankful. I can stay (as a tourist) for 90 days. Assuming I have no job before going to Japan, can I go there, search for a job and then change my Visa when I get a job.

Alternatively, is there an alternative form of Visa that allows me to work from day one which I can get without having work arranged beforehand.

Outside of Tokyo, it will be virtually impossible to find any programming jobs that don't require fluent Japanese.

Also, I realise you may not want to rush this sort of thing, but I would recommend getting married before you start looking for work (in the legal sense at least, you can save the official ceremony for later). It will be MUCH easier finding a job if you have permission to work.

Well, if Tokyo turns out to be my only option, then so be it.

As for getting married first, we'd rather not. It's not just a question of rushing things, but also a question of keeping parents happy. My fiancee is still studying, and her getting married before graduating and before having any job or money is not something her parents would be very happy about. I don't think "getting the paperwork done first but having the ceremony later" will make any difference in this respect...

How does a spouse visa work? Can I settle permanently in Japan with one, and work without any further permits? Also, are there any other requirements other than having the proper marriage certificate?

FYI -- you technically can't look for work on a tourist visa. If you mention the word "work" when you go through customs, the WILL NOT let you in. Don't test them. You're there to visit your woman and that's it. When you get through... start looking. :)

One thing... very few jobs besides English teaching will start the visa process for you. Quite a few will renew though.

Once you get a spouse Visa you can do any job. Before that you'll need to get a Work Visa in the field you're going to work in. This can often be done without leaving the country, although not always, you may have to hop over to S Korea or something and come back.

Finding a job as a programmer will probably be very tricky unless you speak Japanese, especially in a month or two.

curwenx said:
How does a spouse visa work? Can I settle permanently in Japan with one, and work without any further permits? Also, are there any other requirements other than having the proper marriage certificate?

Spouse visa lets you do basically anything. Without one you're going to struggle to find a way to stay in the country in order to work. I'm sure you could get a study visa - but do you have funds saved to support yourself? Or more importantly is that what you want to do?

mr.sumo.snr said:
Spouse visa lets you do basically anything. Without one you're going to struggle to find a way to stay in the country in order to work. I'm sure you could get a study visa - but do you have funds saved to support yourself? Or more importantly is that what you want to do?

Hmm... I primarily want to work, but part time work and part time study is something I'm considering as well. I'm really motivated to learn Japanese properly. I speak Chinese, which has turned out to be really helpful for learning Japanese. It makes what's usually the hardest bit for westerners, namely kanji, the easiest part.

Can you get a student visa with only part-time study, say 50 %. Would such a course be incredibly expensive? And most importantly, can you do part-time work on a student visa.

You need to get a student visa and then ask immigration to allow you to work while on the student visa. Tricky but it does happen.

Back
Top Bottom