What's new

Movie reviews from Japan

MadamePapillon

Fear my Niftyness
1 Jul 2007
It's just like the title says ... what are the Japanese opinions of recent popular box office movies.

This is partially brought on by a talk one of my co workers and I were having about Dark Knight and he mentioned how it had completely bombed in Japan while in N. American and Europe it grossed so much it took second place only to Titanic.

As well, Sin City, another hit here, tanked in Japan.

So, different cultures, different tastes. It would be interesting to hear the opinion of the Japanese (or what those of you living in Japan have heard from friends and family) on what they think of recent popular movies (i.e. Watchmen, Coraline, Dark Knight etc).

Well, Watchmen isn't out here til the 28th, but I haven't so much as seen a commercial for it.

I don't go to the movies often here because it can run upwards of $20US for a ticket, easy, and because there isn't a theater out in the countryside where I live. However, movies like Spiderman have been fairly popular, at least with the kids, and folks like Will Smith and Hugh Jackman were just here promoting new movies.

One of the reasons Dark Knight didn't do well is because it is, in fact, fairly scary in terms of from a human aspect. You also have to consider that while the story of Batman and villains like the Joker may be fairly well known in the west, it's pretty rare out here.

edit: a quick google netted me sites like this "goo" and this "eiga.com"

Obviously helps if you can at least read katakana to get to the proper movies, but the out-of-100 ranking should be pretty easy to understand.

Well, Watchmen isn't out here til the 28th, but I haven't so much as seen a commercial for it.

I've hear Japan has laws against showing nudity on film, I had been wondering what (if this is true) are they going to do about Watchmen. Maybe edit it or black out the bits and pieces.

One of the reasons Dark Knight didn't do well is because it is, in fact, fairly scary in terms of from a human aspect. You also have to consider that while the story of Batman and villains like the Joker may be fairly well known in the west, it's pretty rare out here.

I don't think a lot of time or money was spent marketing the movie to Japan and Christian Bale and Heath Ledger aren't as high profile as some other Hollywood actors. So Dark Knight actually got beaten out by the Sex and the City movie, which both shocks and appalls me (if only for the fact that I'm a rabid Dark Knight fan). 😌

Back
Top Bottom