What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Most Appropriate Translations? (“死の詩曲,” "礼拝堂の空" & "骸骨魔窟")

Reaction score
I have a general idea as to what these could be translated as, however I wanted to know which of the below options would be the most faithful translations in relation to their respective Japanese text, assuming that some of them aren't simply up to personal preference that is.

死の詩曲
Death Ballad
Death's Ballad
Poetic Death

礼拝堂の空
Chapel Sky
Sky Chapel
Chapel in the Sky

骸骨魔窟
Cave of Skeletons
Skeleton Cave
Demon Cave of Skeletons

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your reply, if it's not too much trouble could I ask you a few follow up questions regarding the above?

死の詩曲: Just to clarify, are "Death Ballad" & "Death's Ballad" both equally valid, outside of preference? I do often see "の" used to denote possession, however I'm uncertain if that's the intended case here or not.

礼拝堂の空: While I agree that "Chapel Sky" is the most accurate translation, would that even be proper English? While the other two are technically incorrect I feel like they might make more sense in English.

骸骨魔窟: I like the second one best as well, however I have seen a few instances where "魔窟" was translated as things like "Demon Cave," "Den," etc. Granted, I think it can also just be a means of conveying that a place, (in this case, a cave) is scary or dangerous. Though I suppose Demon Cave of Skeletons does sound kind of redundant if not outright conflicting.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Just to clarify, are "Death Ballad" & "Death's Ballad" both equally valid, outside of preference?
Yes.

I do often see "の" used to denote possession, however I'm uncertain if that's the intended case here or not.
"Possession" and "regarding" are both possible there.

While I agree that "Chapel Sky" is the most accurate translation, would that even be proper English? While the other two are technically incorrect I feel like they might make more sense in English.
Even if those make sense as an English phrase, the original Japanese phrase can't mean that. "Sky in/at the Chapel" is the original meaning anyway, so you can choose your favorite one that can have this meaning.

I have seen a few instances where "魔窟" was translated as things like "Demon Cave," "Den," etc. Granted, I think it can also just be a means of conveying that a place, (in this case, a cave) is scary or dangerous.
Yes, "demon cave" is a literal translation of 魔窟, and it can represent "den" or "disreputable quarters" when used figuratively.

Top Bottom