What's new

Mormons-From Utah to Eternity

eemaan

先輩
25 Mar 2006
Hi, I'm just trying to find out if there are any Mormons here who can help me answer a few questions for me. I read a book called From Utah to Eternity by Sarah Louise Baker from Sakina publishers.
It is a story about American Mormon missionarries in Japan. I just wanted to find out about the ritual at the temple, and what exactly happens and why no one can talk about it? What is the Quorum of the Seventy? who is Brigham Young?
Thanks

"the ritual at the temple" is unclear, unless you are speaking to those who have read this book.

both the quorum of the seventy and brigham young are well documented online. Google it.

I am a non-mormon, but I did attend Brigham Young University... so here goes my best attempt.
In short, Brigham Young was the second "prophet" of the church after Joseph Smith, and led the LDS people (Latter-day Saints, also known to most people as Mormons) from Nauvoo IL, to Salt Lake City, UT. You can find good information on him here--> Brigham Young - Wikipedia

LDS people don't usually like to talk about the temple rituals to non-LDS people since it is quite sacred to their beliefs, but here is a web site on the temple rituals anyways if you are interested--> http://home.teleport.com/~packham/temples.htm

Also, good info on the Quorum of the Seventy --> Seventy (LDS Church) - Wikipedia

I could go into more detail if you want since I had to take some classes on the LDS faith while I was there.. but its 2:40 AM and I need sleep... 😌

Also, if you are interested in information on Mormon missionaries in Japan, here is a site that lists all the "statistics" for LDS members in countries around the world:
International Resources for Latter-day Saints
a link to the japanese page:
http://www.cumorah.com/cgi-bin/db.cgi?view_records=View+Records&Country=Japan

The numbers aren't that accurate though, they seem to have a habit of adding all the new members to their page, but don't always subtract the members that leave the church.... >.>

The links to the Mormon missions in Japan is about halfway down on the page in the 2nd link I posted.

I had someone on my floor in the dorm I was living in at BYU go on the Tokyo South mission. He went into the missionary training center (located just north of campus) knowing no japanese, and a few months later he came out of the MTC pretty much FLUENT in Japanese. I've been taking japanese for almost 2 years and I feel like I know nothing... It impressed me so much...

He did learn japanese for almost 8 hrs a day when he was there though, so it might be understandable, but still amazing.

The stuff about the temple rituals is very interesting Zeroyon. I find those proxy rituals very worrying. I don't like the idea that a dead person's wishes could be disrespected like that - assuming that many of those dead people would not have chosen to be Mormons.

Back
Top Bottom