What's new

News Mori: women talk too much, and other gaffes

he was too old and two outdated and definitely did not have the mental nor the physical energy to handle any of the aspects of being on the Olympic committee.

To follow up on the story: after a week of deliberations, the Olympic minister, Seiko Hashimoto, was appointed head of the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic organizing committee. Yes, very symbolic and progressive, so I thought, too. To my surprise, my wife was very disappointed. She called Mrs Hashimoto "only muscle and no brain" and too close to Mr Mori, whom the new Olympic head sees as a father-like figure.

According to the article below, she called him her "mentor" but won't give him an official role in the committee.

Still, the 56-year-old said at a press conference on Thursday that her predecessor is a "special person" and her "mentor" who showed her the way in the world of politics. The seven-time Olympian also said there will be times when she seeks the counsel of Mori, an 83-year-old former prime minister of Japan, who retains heavy influence over the country's sports community.

To follow up on the story: after a week of deliberations, the Olympic minister, Seiko Hashimoto, was appointed head of the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic organizing committee. Yes, very symbolic and progressive, so I thought, too. To my surprise, my wife was very disappointed. She called Mrs Hashimoto "only muscle and no brain" and too close to Mr Mori, whom the new Olympic head sees as a father-like figure.

According to the article below, she called him her "mentor" but won't give him an official role in the committee.

She's the logical choice, but with her very cosy relationship with Mori, I don't see this as a big progressive leap forward in gender inequality that it's being spun to be.

Knowing nothing about her my first thought was that it's progressive but they're going to leave a woman holding the bag. It's a no win situation for her because it's hard to imagine pulling off a successful Olympics at this point.

Knowing nothing about her my first thought was that it's progressive but they're going to leave a woman holding the bag. It's a no win situation for her because it's hard to imagine pulling off a successful Olympics at this point.
It's going to be very interesting how things pan out. Normally the Japanese media obligingly do a massive job in manufacturing excitement for such events, which many Japanese people are lukewarm about, as they were until Feburary last year.
However, there's none of this now with just 5 months until the games start. I wonder why. Have they decided it will alienate a public who mainly don't want the games, at least not this year, or has it already been decided the games will be cancelled and the media have been asked not to promote the games?

I guess not even the Japanese media could turn the current public mood into an Olympic euphoria. With vaccinations delayed and new variants of the virus emerging, how can anyone reasonably sane allow 20,000 people from all over the world to descend on Tokyo?

However, assuming the decision to cancel the games has already been taken, what would be the point of not announcing it asap?

I guess not even the Japanese media could turn the current public mood into an Olympic euphoria. With vaccinations delayed and new variants of the virus emerging, how can anyone reasonably sane allow 20,000 people from all over the world to descend on Tokyo?

However, assuming the decision to cancel the games has already been taken, what would be the point of not announcing it asap?
Think of all the souvenirs that were bought at wholesale. Someone powerful doesn't want to get burnt. Sacrifice Japan , sure why not. Have the Olympics.

Damn it, you're being rational there! Enormous loss of face, the way the Japanese seem to have to be gradually introduced to news which I think I've talked about in other posts (by the time the announcement on the resignation/state of emergency, etc., is made, everyone knows what is going to happen), the tendency for the Japanese to bury 'bad' news until it's unavoidable - certainly in the company I mainly work for, there is a fetish for hiding information that would be both beneficial for me to know and beneficial for them for me to know.

It would be a bad idea for it to be held and it should just be cancelled. It sucks for all the athletes but its already a year late and it doesn't look like it will be safe enough to hold it this summer either based on the way things are going.

I tend to agree it is not a good idea, I cannot see how they could come away financially ahead if they hold it. The official Olympic twitter is now back to promoting Tokyo after Mori was replaced which makes me think they may still hold the games. Having it with spectators seems quite dangerous as I doubt vaccination of the populous will be completed in time. 'Can be chaos': Fate of Tokyo Olympics remains uncertain I do not envy Mori's replacement, you just cannot win.

The Olympics I think should be held. And not for the financial gain of a few, but for the pride of the Olympians.

The Olympics I think should be held. And not for the financial gain of a few, but for the pride of the Olympians.
Sorry but I think the pride of a few thousand athletes is way down the list of things of importance. I imagine that most athletes would agree with me, however disappointed some of them will be not to compete.

Sorry but I think the pride of a few thousand athletes is way down the list of things of importance. I imagine that most athletes would agree with me, however disappointed some of them will be not to compete.
Hard to say. Many of them have trained their whole lives for this chance. I imagine most would want to compete one way or another.

Mr Mori blabbermouth... this week, he lambasted the Ukrainian president Zelenskyy at a political gathering in Tokyo, saying he could not understand why only Mr Putin was being criticised: Mr Zelenskyy had made many Ukrainian people suffer.

"I don't quite understand why only President Putin is criticized while Mr. Zelenskyy isn't taken to task at all. Mr. Zelenskyy has made many Ukrainian people suffer," Mori told a political gathering in Tokyo. Mori, 85, was active in strengthening bilateral ties with Russia through talks with Putin when he was prime minister in the 2000s. After he retired as a lawmaker 10 years ago, he met with Putin as a special envoy of then Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. The former premier also lashed out at Japanese news outlets, saying their "one-sided" reporting on the war in Ukraine gives him the impression they "only rely on reports from Europe and the United States."

Mr Mori blabbermouth... this week, he lambasted the Ukrainian president Zelenskyy at a political gathering in Tokyo, saying he could not understand why only Mr Putin was being criticised: Mr Zelenskyy had made many Ukrainian people suffer.

My first instinct is to wonder who paid him to make the comment.

The second is to wonder whether he thought that if this argument is correct, it can be even more strongly applied to the people in charge of Japan during WWII.

My first instinct is to wonder who paid him to make the comment.

putin-mori.jpg

This and several other meetings might explain why this senile geezer is still publicly babbling about Russia's victory.

Former Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori on Jan. 25 questioned Japan's overwhelming support for Ukraine, saying there is no way Russia will lose the war. At an event in Tokyo to commemorate the 120th anniversary of the founding of the Japan-India Association, Mori mentioned that good relations have developed between Japan and Russia over the years. "Should we be supporting Ukraine to this extent? It is unthinkable that Russia will lose," he said. "A much more terrible situation would emerge if that were to happen, and Japan would have to play an important role. I believe that would be the job facing Japan."

Mr Mori never fails to deliver. :)

Speaking at a Tokyo fund-raiser for an Upper House member of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party on 23 March, Mori reflected on his last Lower House election in 2009 when he faced a female candidate from the Democratic Party of Japan.

more-hates-female-competition.jpg

"I hate running against a woman," said Mori, now 85. "While I should not disparage women, their campaign tactics are just out of this world." That was the election when the DPJ rode voter discontent with the LDP to drive the party out of power and engineer a short-lived government change. Mori faced Mieko Tanaka, then 33, in the Ishikawa No. 2 single-seat district. Tanaka had no political experience or direct ties to the local district. However, she still came within about 4,000 votes of upsetting the former prime minister, who had won 13 terms until then. Looking back on that election, Mori said, "I felt as though I had worked for the benefit of the nation and the local community, but to find out people were willing to give almost the same number of votes as myself to such a woman made me lose trust in my own district."

These are his words in Japanese:

女性相手というのは嫌だ。女性を軽蔑してはいけないが、もうとにかく女性の戦法っていうのは、空中戦なのか何なのか訳がわからない。

Still spouting his sexist slurs. I wonder why anyone would invite him to a fundraiser.
Good Old Boys like to surround themselves with other Good Old Boys.

^^ That is a really American, maybe British as well, name for it. Basically the name for a group of people who all have similar standing, history (schools/clubs/etc), and ideologies and dislike or look down on anyone who is not part of that group.

Back
Top Bottom