What's new

Moon Child...what means Kei ?

Avalanche

後輩
7 Jan 2009
hi,
i am sorry if this question was already posted. i researched the forum but couldn't find anything.
i watched "moon child" for the first time a few days ago ( yes i know, it's an older film and i should have watched it much sooner *lol* ). i wanted to know if someone can tell me what kei in english means...the name of the vampire portrayed by hyde. i looked in my japanese dictionary and there was only one translation for kei : punishment, sentence. then i googled it and one site for students of the japanese language had a lot of meanings one was "light" which i think would also fit the character, since vampires all seem to long for the light but yet it kills them.
so now my 2 question
1)what would be the best english translation for his name in the film ?
2) does anyone have a nice kanji version of the name kei that he / she can show me ? maybe insert a link or picture ? it should be big enough to see because to be quite honest , i have a hard time to decipher kanji symbols when they are written on a computer keyboard. they are too small.
i am sure, for someone who speaks japanese, is japanese and has seen the original film / the original movie poster or an article about the film in a japanese magazine could help me !
thanks so much for your help !! :)

Sorry to disappoint, but there is no kanji for the name of this character. In the original Japanese script for the film, his name is written in katakana.

Therefore, one could go on guessing which kanji would fit his name, there is no one difinite answer.

A quick google shows that the character's name is ニ単ニ辰 written in katakana with no kanji given. From that it's impossible to tell what meaning the creator of the character may have intended. Sorry!

Oops, looks like Ashikaga beat me to the punch.

wow , that was fast, thanks for the answer ! too bad, though, not knowing the meaning... btw, becki_kanou what did you google to come up with the katakana ? i didn't even see that... :-(

I just googled "hyde" "moonchild" on Japanese google and the first link was the Japanese wikipedia page for the movie, which had all of the character names.

oh, ok, didn't think about using the japanese version of google, i know they have a japanese yahoo... guess, i had a long, stressful day...my brain is working a little slower... ^_^

thanks !

Back
Top Bottom