What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

mobile phone - international roaming

Exidez

先輩
Reaction score
i am currently living in japan for a year as an exchange student. Therefore, i am looking for a mobile phone that will send email and such in japan. Also, when i return to australia i still want to be able to use that phone.

I was speaking to a japanese friend and she recently bought a japanese phone and she was told that it will work in australia..
Would this mean you could send emails from the phone in australia aswell? Or just sms/calling ?

Where can i find these phones? Can anyone direct me to a web page where i can have a look at these phones?

Thanxs for your help

digicross

先輩
Reaction score
If it is the Nokia 6650, then yes, it can.

Exidez said:
i am currently living in japan for a year as an exchange student. Therefore, i am looking for a mobile phone that will send email and such in japan. Also, when i return to australia i still want to be able to use that phone.

I was speaking to a japanese friend and she recently bought a japanese phone and she was told that it will work in australia..
Would this mean you could send emails from the phone in australia aswell? Or just sms/calling ?

Where can i find these phones? Can anyone direct me to a web page where i can have a look at these phones?

Thanxs for your help

If you friend bought a Nokia 6650 (one of those G3 / Third Generation phones), then it can be used in both the Japanese CDMA network and the global G.S.M. network.

http://nokia-asia.com/nokia/0,,38752,00.html

The latest Nokia phones and accessories | Nokia Phones US

The latest Nokia phones and accessories | Nokia Phones US

e-shopreg.com -&nbspThis website is for sale! -&nbspe shopreg Resources and Information.

As for you buying the Nokia 6650.

Well... You got to ask your Japanese distributor if you can use it outside Japan.

If you can use it outside Japan, then there's only the matter of switching the Japanese mini S.I.M. card to an Australian one. Assuming that you don't want use the roaming service provided by the Japanese provider, it's still cheaper though to use domestic S.I.M. card than to use the roaming service.

Besides the Nokia 6650, I think that there are other G3 (Third Genertation) phones that you can use both in Japan and overseas, though I forgot what they are.

Anyway. I think that it probably would be cheaper to just rent Japanese phones in Japan and then when you came back home to Australia you buy Australian phones.

Exidez

先輩
Reaction score
thanxs for the information....
i looked at the sites and came to a conclusions that theres isnt a phone which i am exactly looking for...
japanese phones have emailing services on the phones. If internations phones dont have this i wont buy it, coz this is what is used all around japan!

i guess i have to buy a japanese phone and then an australian phone when i resturn to australia.

Thanxs anyway

Saing

upside-down cake
Reaction score
Vodafone have something called Vodafone Global Standard. I think it works in many countries. Sorry I don't know more. I have DoCoMo.

jgaiko

後輩
Reaction score
You should look into a HyperFone. It uses VoIP technology and works with your computer, even on a slow internet connection. You can call anywhere in the world and if you call to another HyperFone, the call is FREE. I just got my phone and called from the US to Luxembourg. It sounded like my friend was next door.

www.myhyperfone.net/callfree

Hope this helps!

Spike

先輩
Reaction score
ha

well i don't know muck about phones but good luck in japan
:win: 😎 :win:
:poh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom