What's new

Mnemonics for Vocabulary

NihongoBrah

後輩
5 Aug 2013
I use visual mneumonics for vocab. Such as for sad, I though of Kakashi a character in Naruto looking sad to remember the word "kanashii". I learned that word over a month ago and havent heard or used it since. So the fact I can recall it for me proves that mneumonics are superior for this.

Does anyone have any tips on using mneumonics on words that you cant seem to pull anything out of. Like "how much" = ikura. I cant think of any way to link this to a mneumonic to effectively remember it.

The word is mnemonic.

(Sorry to be a bore in pointing this out, but I can't help myself.)

The more abstract the term, the more you need to really be able to put it into a sentence and context, eg,

ikura okane ga motteiru ka na (I wonder how much money I have with me, image of someone counting money, bonus points if you can pin it on a character from Japanese media who fits that).

With a good JE dictionary you can often get an example sentence if you can't make your own examples.

I get my examples from 国語・類語・英和・和英・百科事典・用語集の無料検索 サービス - Yahoo!辞書 , 英語・語学の学習情報サイト「スペースアルク」:アルク and Tatoeba: Collecting example sentences

I don't think these kinds of things are actually 'mnemonics' as they are usually understood to be, but imagining an appropriate context or image certainly does help fix a memory of a word. You won't need such tricks for long though, once you mostly understand some manga you'll automatically have an image, context, and example sentence for new vocabulary.

(or mukashibanashi or nhk news easy or whatever, but since you mentioned naruto, I'm guessing manga will be your first choice.)

Back
Top Bottom