What's new

MLC jobs

mestissa

後輩
7 Sep 2006
I'm losing my hopes... I'm a brazilian national, have a permanent resident visa in Japan (my mother is Japanese) and I've been applying for jobs on base for MLC positions for years! So far, I was only called ONCE for an interview but who got the position was someone who was already a MLC employer and had applied to get transferred. I hear that if you don't have "connections" it's almost impossible to get in... And I'm starting to believe it's true. Last time, I applied for a telephone operator position at Sasebo base. They were looking for someone who spoke English fluently and I had to go all the way to Nagasaki just to turn in my application form, and I didn't even get the chance for an interview! How can that happen being that they didn't require any special qualifications other than speaking English fluently? I'm sure I can speak and understand better than any of the Japanese that applied for the same postion. It's so unfair... What is the secret?? :(

1,000's of people apply for only 100 or so jobs each year. You should feel very lucky if you even get an interview. Keep at it, you will eventually get on somewhere.

Hi there. Im the artist formerly known as LTG. LTG was once an MLC. He will tell you that unless your a JN, the MLC thing aint worth it. Youll always be considered an outsider and be given all sorts of harassment because your taking up on "their" positions and get this, your also being paid by hard working Japanese taxpayers money, and they despise giving you, the gaikokujin, squat. At the US embassy in Tokyo, there are hordes of Japanese being paid by American tax payers money, and you had best not complain about that. Anyways, a warm welcome to Japan from your Captian, Long Dong.

The secret is.....

I'm losing my hopes... I'm a brazilian national, have a permanent resident visa in Japan (my mother is Japanese) and I've been applying for jobs on base for MLC positions for years! So far, I was only called ONCE for an interview but who got the position was someone who was already a MLC employer and had applied to get transferred. I hear that if you don't have "connections" it's almost impossible to get in... And I'm starting to believe it's true. Last time, I applied for a telephone operator position at Sasebo base. They were looking for someone who spoke English fluently and I had to go all the way to Nagasaki just to turn in my application form, and I didn't even get the chance for an interview! How can that happen being that they didn't require any special qualifications other than speaking English fluently? I'm sure I can speak and understand better than any of the Japanese that applied for the same postion. It's so unfair... What is the secret?? :(

Well I must tread lightly or risk getting another infraction....oh no, dont want that infraction..whats with that noise anyway? Are we all back in the military now? But check it, the secret to getting on as a MLC, as I once posted before as LTG, is this-

Know somebody! Otherwise you be screwed. Even most of the Japanese that work on the bases are related. I worked in one dept. where mother, son, brothers, cousins, all were working together. Thought there was a reg against that, but like everything else overhere, Americans will duck tail and run before challenging anything Japanese, they own the place. I was given a counseling by an American supervisor, then a suspension with pay deduction for basically doing my job, however the Japanese were doing much worse, like sleeping, coming late, insubordination, disobeying orders etc etc and the same guy would never touch them for fear of some myth that all the Americans believe that MLCs cant be fired because of the union. Myself being an MLC and an American made me fair game, he tried to make an example out of me in order to impress the Japanese because he couldnt control them. Little did my fellow countryman know that those sweet hard working can do no wrong Japanese were smiling to his face and doing as they please when he left. I dont miss being an MLC or any of the clowns that supervised them. What a circus.

But, if your still interested, I knew several of us Gaijin that got on. Most are long gone, but here is how it went down. They worked in some dept. as a GS, NAF, AAFES or IHA goof. They got to know the director, and that director was tired of the MLC games the Japanese were playing and all the frustration that went with it, so the American MLC prospect saw the opportunity, made the connection and got in, but he/she (yes, I knew an American MLC woman) they werent always welcomed. Some never had to deal with the Japanese treatment as they worked directly under some GS 11. If you can get one of them 1-9 positions, well go for it. Good luck to you!

At the US embassy in Tokyo, there are hordes of Japanese being paid by American tax payers money, and you had best not complain about that. Anyways, a warm welcome to Japan from your Captian, Long Dong.

It is no use comparing two different things, positions on base and in the embassy.
I don't know how many Japanese/Americans are hired in each embassy, though.

what?

What you mean it makes no difference comparing Japanese who work on the base and those who work at the embassy? Go back and re read the post there friend. The Japanese who work on the base are paid by the J government and will howl when a gaijin gets in the MLC system because they are paid by J taxes. If an American complains about the J staff at the Embassy getting paid in American dollars or by US taxes, why he will be attacked from every angle. So whats your point when you say it makes no difference in comparing the two?

Back
Top Bottom