What's new

Mitsubishi Evolution Vs. Subaru WRX STi

U

user3153

Whats your guys opinion on these 2 cars. personally my vote is for the STi. more horspower and torque at the same weight. plus i think it just plain looks better. altho, from what i hear the Evo is easier to drive, and manuvers a little better on the track. So anyways, post your opinion here.

The Lancer Evo is the more exclusive model though, as it's way more expensive then the STi. That's also why the Subaru has an image-problem. Every baseball-cap wearing kiddie who can afford one, has one.

i thought it was the other way.......... everyone always talks about evo this, evo that. thats y i want to get the sti, cuz i am sick of everyone always talking about how great the EVO is.

The 4G63 2.0L used in EVO I-VIII is great, but I think they're pushing the 2.0L a lil too much, ie ~19 psi of boost on a stock motor especially at 2.0L. I've read about lots of EVO VIII's blowing up their motors mindyou they were track racing, but still.

I'd only get the EVO VIII over the STi because it costs less and everyone else wants the STi. The STi can't be modded too much more, while EVO VIII with the very mod-friendly 4G63 has a lot more potential.

An EVO VIII with all the options available is more expensive than an STi without options, yes. However there will be the EVO RS which will be an almost bare-bones version of the VIII which will start at US$ 27 grand.

Hey the STi is better for rally racing and that's what
i'm getting into so it's the way to go
besides it 4wheel drive

I guess its just a matter of preference.

They are both practically the same price- there lots here in California.
There are tons of mods on both.
They are both AWD
STi 2.5 b EVO 2.0
STi's are about $28k- almost the same as an EVO.
Handling on the EVO is good on tight corners.
STi is good too as long you don't mess with the suspension.

I would pick the STi.

I have the answer. I went to a DSM meeting on the weekend and they actually had an Evo Wrx blow out. Well the WRX won almost every time.. Well except one Evo that was so done up that I dont think a many cars could beat it lol

gokigen said:
I guess its just a matter of preference.

They are both practically the same price- there lots here in California.
There are tons of mods on both.
They are both AWD
STi 2.5 b EVO 2.0
STi's are about $28k- almost the same as an EVO.
Handling on the EVO is good on tight corners.
STi is good too as long you don't mess with the suspension.

I would pick the STi.

They may be close to spec, but the EVO is an easier car to drive.

As you stated, the EVO is better in the tighter corners. But if you are somewhat adept in rally driving, you can make many a course your slave with an STI.

As for messing with the suspension, it also depends on what you plan to do with it.

A friend of mine, he bought a WRX wagon. Suspension on it is fine, but there's a lot of body roll. His friend bought a sedan, he lowered it and did major suspension work, it turns like you wouldn't believe. Sadly, he can't take it over speed bumps! heh. :D

The STI, with the catalog of STI part you can order would be more than up to the task of any road course, rally or circuit you throw it in.

And I think there are also very reputable companies here in the US that have a multitude of parts available.

My choice, the STI. It simply is more of a driver's car.

Ant

Actually on this car show in England, Top Gear, is sorta famous, they did a test drive and compared the new evo with the new subaru, and the new evo was better. I'd like to have any of one of them, but i would love to have the new rx-8

Yeah, that's the best car-show in the world. At least they appear to be objective.

With this Evo vs STi test, both cars were equally as fast when they went a lap around their test-track, however they thought the Subaru felt/looked a bit cheaper.

Top Gear is good yup.

Personally, I wouldnt buy a 4door or 4WD. But thats just me, they are great cars.
Alot of the Impreza drivers in England though..... seem to think they are gods, and they most diffinately are not. Where as the Evo drivers seem more enthusiastic about the car and driving, not just the 'WRC' image.

Hey guys. You should really test drive both to find out which one is better. Most people base their judgement on what they read on the net. Evo this STi that. Hope everyone makes an educated decision on this and not go by what everone else is saying. They are both great car for the price compared to other high performance cars out there. Subaru is more popular in North America, because of its marketing campaign while Mitsubishi (Evo) is well known in Europe and Asia. It's not about wich car is better but which car feels better to the individual. Regarding looks it is also depends from the person. If you haven't driven one please don't trash the rep of the other car as these cars have good rally racing history. Also don't compare the regular Evo with the STi (they are two different classes) STi VS FQ300.

PEACE 👍

Subaru WRX STi

All:

I own and drive an STi but have never driven the Lancer EVO. I can tell you that under severe power application while engaging a tight (such as a descending radius) turn the STI will develope considerable understeer. Unlike many front-engined performance automobiles, the STi does NOT go from understeer to oversteer when one applies more power...it generates additional understeer and only reducing power will bend it to your will. This is even true at the exit of a turn, where power must be applied only to the car as it straightens.

As I am not a competition driver, perhaps this is a matter of my technique, but I think not. This criticism is not to say that I do not like the Subaru. I find it to be a superb automobile with exciting performance. But every car has a personality. The STi seems to be one that is less nimble than one might expect but it has higher engine output in both torque and ponies than the EVO III.

As far as the production model of the EVO III, the Mitsubishi has a smaller sticker. Perhaps those aftermarket HP models as may be available are more expensive than the STi, but showroom stock EVO's are less expensive.

My compliments to everyone on the quality of the conversation.

Oh, and by the way...

Here she is!

IM000005-1.jpg

Ain't she beautiful...her name is Sarah.

i have a subaru. not sti T_T evo is a great car and all, but i think sti has better interior. plus it sounds more mean with practically any aftermarket exhaust.

Back
Top Bottom