What's new

(mis)conceptions and images of Japan

Tsuyoiko said:
The most common misconception I come across here in the UK is that Japanese and Chinese people/language/culture are the same, or at least very similar. :eek:

That is very true.
I once mentioned to someone that I like Japanese food and he started going on about how rubbish Chinese take away food is.
I think people often have a terrible misunderstanding of Japan. When I started my job at NHK, some people in the (poxy) drinking club where I live were saying silly, jokey Japanese 'words'. When I actually said something in Japanese they said ''That's not Japanese'' - their stereotype was so ingrained.

Mind you, I live in virtual country bumpkin land. I'm looking for flats in London again now, so hopefully I'll be out of it soon.

Also, when I told my sister something my Japanese lady friend had set that I found hurtful, she refered to her as 'Chinky Chonky'. Although I was a little upset by my lady friend, I found my sister's choice of words quite offensive, but I guess she was just feeling defensive towards her brother.

Back
Top Bottom