What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Minna No Nihongo - Question

Coffeesan

先輩
Reaction score
Sooo I want another book as ''Japanese for busy people Kana version'' is quite frankly abysmal. I hear some amazing reviews for the Minna No Nihongo series however I'm very confused about the first introductory book.

Apparently the ENTIRE book is written in Japanese with absolutely no English in it what so ever. So I was wondering how is a book written 100% in Japanese supposed to teach you Japanese? It makes no sense...

Then a few people have said you need to buy a 2nd book which lets you ''translate'' the first book including the instructions of the first book which are written in Japanese so you can do the excercises which are also in Japanese... Seems extremely odd to me.

dimitri_can

後輩
Reaction score
You need to also get the Grammar and Translation Notes to help you to understand the grammar.

Generally, this book is used with a teacher (i.e cannot use for self study)

Amazon product

Coffeesan

先輩
Reaction score
Feared as much... Seems like a ridiculous way to teach Japanese to be honest.

Andromedashun

先輩
Reaction score
To get off the ground with Minna no Nihongo you need a class. I took a class 4 years ago (up to somewhere around lesson 29)and now currently review what I've learned (I almost forgot everything lol).

baskerville

先輩
Reaction score
If one uses Minna no Nihongo for self study, I would suggest getting Basic/Intermediate Dictionary of Japanese Grammar so you can also look up meanings and explanations of the grammar points in the MNN series. (and why not get Advanced Dictionary of Japanese Grammar as well? You won't use it with Minna no Nihongo, but it will be very useful when you get to more difficult material).

Top Bottom