What's new

Military small plates/saucer

Jags1

後輩
2 Oct 2018
Can anyone help with the translation on this saucer? It's one of a set of three that are identical.
Celebrates some type of military action and/or period?
Any help will be appreciated as always!

Attachments

• IMG_2521.JPG
    IMG_2521.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2522.JPG
    IMG_2522.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2520.JPG
    IMG_2520.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 123
祝少兵一等卒

第九聯隊
第九中隊

明治弐三年
十二月(伊東?)

Its an item commemorating someone or some group's graduation from the rank of Private First Class, given by the 9th division/regiment of I don't know which army or navy. The left flag looks like a navy flag, but I can't be sure. This was given in December, 1890 (Meiji 23). Usually these are sake cups, but I can't tell exactly what yours is.

It's 歩兵, not 少兵, so it's army, the 9th Infantry Regiment.

I'm skeptical about the authenticity, by the way. The kanji used for 等 is a very uncommon one, and the ones for 第 and 廿 are wrong as if the writer actually didn't know kanji. (I think the one next to 明治 on the back side would be supposed to be 廿, not 弐, since the writer used 二 for 十二月.)

It's 歩兵, not 少兵, so it's army, the 9th Infantry Regiment.

I'm skeptical about the authenticity, by the way. The kanji used for 等 is a very uncommon one, and the ones for 第 and 廿 are wrong as if the writer actually didn't know kanji. (I think the one next to 明治 on the back side would be supposed to be 廿, not 弐, since the writer used 二 for 十二月.)]

Did the different areas, and the different "groups" have different kanji? In other words there wasn't a national form of writing and speech but regional ones? Just wondering... Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's not a dialect or something. There can be several variations for each kanji, but the ones used there are more likely mistakes, which natives would never do.

Back
Top Bottom