What's new

midnight in tokyo..

kawaiisan

haskell advocate
16 Feb 2005
So we're going to arrive in tokyo at around 7:00pm after something like a 14 hour plane trip from Sydney.

What part of Tokyo would be recommended for college students who recently graduated? We're all computer science graduates and only a *little* bit nerdy..

I heard roppongi is overrated, but that's where all the foreigners are. Would that be a better idea?

Also, I doubt we're going to last until 6am the following morning where we'll need to get a bullet train to nagasaki.. what's a good late-night accomodation option? Or should we check into the hotels first?

I hope I'm not asking too much 😌

So we're going to arrive in tokyo at around 7:00pm after something like a 14 hour plane trip from Sydney.
What part of Tokyo would be recommended for college students who recently graduated? We're all computer science graduates and only a *little* bit nerdy..
I heard roppongi is overrated, but that's where all the foreigners are. Would that be a better idea?
Do you mean that you're arriving at around 7pm in Narita and getting on the bullet train at 6am the next day?
Assuming it is so, Roppongi is not the place to be. It's a place to enjoy the night life--bars, clubs and restaurants. You might get too drunk and miss your train! 😊
Plus, hotels in Roppongi are on the expensive side, even the cheaper ones.
(Since you're all young, you may be able hang around Roppongi and have fun until the first subway train in the morning. I don't recommend that, but it's your choice. 😌 )

Regarding transportation to central Tokyo at night, 7pm arrival is not late yet. You'll have transportation to get to Tokyo Station, where I assume you'll be boarding the Shinkansen. I've checked and found that the Airport Limousine bus operates until around 11pm. I think that's good enough for you.
Limousine Bus by Airport Transport Service Co., Ltd.

Also, I doubt we're going to last until 6am the following morning where we'll need to get a bullet train to nagasaki.. what's a good late-night accomodation option? Or should we check into the hotels first?

You need to rest, even a little. (I'm a mother! :p )
I personally think you should stay the night close to Tokyo Station, so you can board the Shinkansen straight from your hotel, without the bother of riding subways, changing trains, etc., so early in the morning. (I doubt whether there are trains that get you to Tokyo Station on time in that early part of morning.)

If you're looking for cheap lodgings, why not try out the famous "capsule hotel"? I found one that is within walking distance from Tokyo Station.
http://www.naniwa1001.co.jp/first/first_english.htm
This one is a regular small hotel catering to business travellers--a bit more expensive but is only a minute away from the station.
[URL="http://www.hotel-heimat.com/index.html"]http://www.hotel-heimat.com/index.html[/URL]
The link above takes you to the Japanese toppage. Click on "English" at top right for info in English.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Last edited:
... eeeek, Nagasaki has a great history -- but that's another 8-9 memorable hours next day by train from Tokyo. The stuff of legend. :p

Shame you couldn't have flown in Sydney-Kyushuu directly....:?

Actually, would you recommend even going to nagasaki at all, if we're going to hiroshima?

A few of my friends are insisting on going there :/

What implication does not having nozomi available have by the way? Does it mean the trains will run less times a day etc?

JAPAN RAIL PASS...
The Key To Convenient Sightseeing In Japan.
The JAPAN RAIL PASS is offered by the six companies that make up the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).

The JAPAN RAIL PASS offers an incredibly economical way to travel throughout Japan by rail.
Please be aware, however, that some restrictions apply.
The pass is not valid for "NOZOMI" trains on the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen lines.
JAPAN RAIL PASS | ジャパン・レール・パス

What implication does not having nozomi available have by the way? Does it mean the trains will run less times a day etc?
It means you can't get there FAST. More stops, less speed, but you can ride with your Rail Pass.

Actually, would you recommend even going to nagasaki at all, if we're going to hiroshima?

Have they done their homework ? 😊

There's a lot more to see and do in Nagasaki if you were planning on double duty....:)

Ride a plane 14 hours to go hang out around people you could have seen without getting on a plane?

To get drunk in real style, don't stay on Roppongi-dori, wander back in the alleys and stuff. :p In a group that is big enough to resist getting pulled in for massages, "persuaded" by burly security guards or potentially arrested over an incident in a bar you were never in...:eek:

I've been to Nagasaki for work and Hiroshima on vacation. I'd take Nagasaki any day over Hiroshima. Laid back, beautiful area, very old town.

I agree about Nagasaki. It is pretty laid back and beautiful area. Although, by going to Hiroshima, they can also take in Miyajima Island. That's a fun place.

Back
Top Bottom