What's new

MEXT Scholarship (Research/Graduate Studies) 2020

Hi!
I'm applying for the 2020 scholarship as well. Had the exams and interview a month ago and now is the just waiting.
Have you heard back from your embassy?

Hey!

I have not heard anything as yet.

I keep thinking maybe I didn't advance lol

Hey!

I have not heard anything as yet.

I keep thinking maybe I didn't advance lol

Me too! I'm so worried/nervous/insane with the waiting. I wonder if others have received responses.
I did not know about this website until recently but I'm happy to meet other applicants :) this is a stressful process.

I keep checking my emails constantly lol
It is stressful, feel free to put your worries here.
Its nice that there are others out there that can relate.

Hi !
I'm exactly like you. However, I received an email from my embassy 2 weeks ago telling me that the results would be later than expected (they wanted to tell us 2 weeks ago) and they asked me to give them my postal address once again. The reasons are administrative issues. They told me that they would give us the results as soon as possible and that the ones who had made it would receive the right documentations for the next steps.
So I was warned that it would be late lol, but I'm still stressed out. Maybe tomorrow?
I hope!
Good luck to everyone.

Definitely hoping for results this week!
The timeline for the notification of results for us just said July 2019 so i know they still have time.

How was the first screening for you guys?

They told us mid-July, so they're def not late as of yet, that's why I was very surprised to receive the email.

I was interviewed by the Social Sciences Jury : 3 professors and 2 representatives from the embassy. The questions from the 3 professors were not very hard, they were questions about the methodology for the recruitment of my participants and potential biases.
The representatives asked me if I had worked after getting my Master's and if I had already contacted a professor. I said yes to both as I already had a professor's approval, and I also talked about the fact I lived in Japan for 1 year and worked there in a field related to my research which seemed to gather a round of approval based on the jury's faces.

Overall, it was a good session in my opinion, I feel like I convinced them. But for the rest... we'll see, doesn't depend on me anymore ;).

And you?

Well I am going for my masters ...
the interview consisted of just the japanese embassy representative and a past mext scholar from my country

The questions were mostly directed towards my research plan, it was okay.

I am just a bunch of nerves really, the decision to be made is between 4 of us.

So fingers crossed.

My interview was so difficult. Everyone was very nice but pointed out several times that language skills are very important. I know the scholarship doesn't require fluency but I hope it doesn't diminish my chances. I really hope we all pass!!!

I might try contacting my embassy to see when an update will be sent. I know this process could take weeks more (looking thru the 2019 forum, some were not notified until much later) but no one mentioned when the results would be given.

I actually tried to contact them today lol... but it's closed. There was a national holiday yesterday, I think that's the reason.
But if you guys say some had their results way later in 2019 than I might wait a bit more.
Anyway with each day passing , we come closer to the truth so let's hang in there lol
Glad not to be alone in that horrifying wait lol

Hey guys ! I actually called the embassy today. I got the administrative representative on the phone. She told me they were exceptionally late this year, they were meant to give it to us 2 weeks ago, and that they are missing a piece of info that they are waiting for. As soon as they get the piece of info, they will tell us the results via email and send us a letter. They don't know when, but it will be "in July".

I can't help but think that maybe this year the Japanese gov wants to target specific countries (me thinking, based on those last years politics : South Asia) and the piece of info they're missing is the number of applicants allowed to receive the scholarship, and they're adjusting the numbers after receiving the infos from the embassies of the countries they're targeting, or something like that. Just my hypotheses, and I need to share them somewhere lolllll

Anyway, all that to say, if you really wanna call, I think it's a good idea to know what's up cause now I'm finally not in the dark anymore and I can just carry on waiting (not like I had the choice to begin with), haha ^^

hmm Ive also been wondering how many scholarships they plan to give out. At no point did they mention it at all. I m glad you called and got some information! Im worried that if I call they'll tell me they already sent out an email to successful candidates 😂

Hello to everyone! Can I also join to your "waiting community"? We had exams a sharp month ago in Moscow.

I've heard that the embassy sends notifications to the successful candidates first, and only after that they send out letters with "Thank you for participation. We will happy to see you next year" to all others. So I guess that it is not necessary to worry and get upset while nobody from your country receives anything from the embassy..

Hey, of course you are welcome here!

It has also been a month since my exam and interview. Join the waiting gang lol

Just contacted my consulate in Seattle. They also confirmed a delay in the document process. We should have results by the end of July over here, so likely in other countries as well.

One of the consulates in my country (we have 1 embassy and 4-5 consulates) has already sent out the results. So, I guess the rest of the world (and my country) will be notified soon.

One of the consulates in my country (we have 1 embassy and 4-5 consulates) has already sent out the results. So, I guess the rest of the world (and my country) will be notified soon.
Thanks for the update! All the best guys! fingers crossed.

Just a quick update, nothing too new.
But it confirmed the reason behind the lateness.
This is what I saw on a forum (posted yesterday) :
" just got an email from the embassy saying there's an unexpected delay this year. this never happened before but they haven't been contacted by MEXT with the quotas so, although the internal selection process may have been completed, they don't know how many people they can recommend. Apparently this is happening all over Europe.
So let's just sit back, relax and wait a little longer however painful the wait may seem.
"

An American replied that they have received the same email too, yesterday
I hope we are going to get the results by the end of July.

Wow I wish I knew this earlier

Save myself the heartache of checking my mail everyday.

Thank you so much for the update

I kinda gave up and said ill just wait until the 31st

Hi there! I just had the interview today! The process in my country is slower so that's why it takes more time. I am quite worried about the interview considering that I felt like I was being rushed by the interviewers.

I hope the results will be out soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom