What's new

MEXT from October 2011 - Final Decision Timing

mac masayoshi

先輩
29 May 2011
Dear Minna Sama,

Hope all of you are fine and doing v.well. I would thank you all for the nice contribution and useful info sharing.

I applied for Monbukagakusho (Postgraduate Studies - Master In CS - Faculty of Engineering - in December 2010 - for the 2nd time) thru university recommendation and have submitted all the documents and passed all the interviews successfully.

I have been waiting since last communication with admissions in Feb 2011, about 3 months and half. So we are at end of May Now. As I have known that the final decision should come in 1st of May. But all of us are understanding very well that Japan was suffering a huge disaster because of the earthquake last March.

The question here, when the final decision will be?
I already called the University in order to have clear picture but as the admissions said that they are still waiting while no body knows when the final decision will come from Manbusho.

Hope things will be fine and turn up soon.
With all my best wishes to all of you.

Respectfully,
Masayoshi

Last edited:
as far as I know--im also waiting for announcement of MEXT scholarship through univ.reccomendation--the notification will be sent early July :)

Dear Minna Sama,

Hope all of you are fine and doing v.well. I would thank you all for the nice contribution and useful info sharing.

I applied for Monbukagakusho (Postgraduate Studies - Master In CS - Faculty of Engineering - in December 2010 - for the 2nd time) thru university recommendation and have submitted all the documents and passed all the interviews successfully.

I have been waiting since last communication with admissions in Feb 2011, about 3 months and half. So we are at end of May Now. As I have known that the final decision should come in 1st of May. But all of us are understanding very well that Japan was suffering a huge disaster because of the earthquake last March.

The question here, when the final decision will be?
I already called the University in order to have clear picture but as the admissions said that they are still waiting while no body knows when the final decision will come from Manbusho.

Hope things will be fine and turn up soon.
With all my best wishes to all of you.

Respectfully,
Masayoshi

Where did you get the information that the final decision comes out in May? According to what I know so far, and from my professor's words, the final decision from MEXT will be announced in early July.

I check some programs that offer MEXT through university recommendation and they all have the deadline for the final decision as early July. So I guess that's official.

I know you are eager to know the final outcome. But there's no point in rushing. By the way, it's not likely that you'll fail if you are recommended already.

Where did you get the information that the final decision comes out in May? According to what I know so far, and from my professor's words, the final decision from MEXT will be announced in early July.
I check some programs that offer MEXT through university recommendation and they all have the deadline for the final decision as early July. So I guess that's official.
I know you are eager to know the final outcome. But there's no point in rushing. By the way, it's not likely that you'll fail if you are recommended already.
The official documents I received from Keio said decisions would be made at the end of April. "Keio University will receive the screening results from the Monbukagakusho at the end of April." I have emailed my department since then and they said they are still waiting for the decision from MEXT and to please be patient. I would not be surprised if the earthquake / tsunami had pushed the result date back. I think we just have to wait it out.

The official documents I received from Keio said decisions would be made at the end of April. "Keio University will receive the screening results from the Monbukagakusho at the end of April." I have emailed my department since then and they said they are still waiting for the decision from MEXT and to please be patient. I would not be surprised if the earthquake / tsunami had pushed the result date back. I think we just have to wait it out.

My program (IGP at Titech) at first said the result would come out in May, but they modified it later to early July. I checked another program, MEM of Todai, and they also have the same deadline. I guess that information in your guideline is inaccurate.
By the way, it's the norm that the result comes out in early July. I know people who received this type of MEXT, and they all got the result around that time.

@ McKeio, Thanks, you are absolutely right. the same thing went with me. I just called the admission and they said the same.

@ thepie, above, is what admissions told me. Last year, the submission was by 19th of Feb and as they said that the final decision will come out by end of June. Truly right, i received the rejection email by 28th of June 2010.

But this year, the submission was on med of December 2010. As they said that Final Decision will come out earlier this year. But as we know, may it get delay due to the earthquake.

And Maybe our guide is wrong as you said.

Thanks all for your nice contribution. :)

@ McKeio, Thanks, you are absolutely right. the same thing went with me. I just called the admission and they said the same.

@ thepie, above, is what admissions told me. Last year, the submission was by 19th of Feb and as they said that the final decision will come out by end of June. Truly right, i received the rejection email by 28th of June 2010.

But this year, the submission was on med of December 2010. As they said that Final Decision will come out earlier this year. But as we know, may it get delay due to the earthquake.

And Maybe our guide is wrong as you said.

Thanks all for your nice contribution. :)

@mac masayoshi, If you don't mind my asking were you rejected from the embassy process or the university nominated process? I first tried the embassy process, but am now trying the university nomination approach.

which university did you apply to?
i didnt know tht univ.recommendation can be rejected too, well...i know tht there s a possibility, but very very rare, i thought :( i mean, the head of the department said tht no student has been rejected since the program open in 2007 (TokyoTech IGP)

@mac masayoshi, If you don't mind my asking were you rejected from the embassy process or the university nominated process? I first tried the embassy process, but am now trying the university nomination approach.

Sure i don't mind to answer you. On my case i was rejected thru university recommendation. NO Wonder! i just was unlucky enough as professor said. :j

which university did you apply to?
i didnt know tht univ.recommendation can be rejected too, well...i know tht there s a possibility, but very very rare, i thought :( i mean, the head of the department said tht no student has been rejected since the program open in 2007 (TokyoTech IGP)

Yes! Application could be rejected if university have a list of nominees and by luck your name at the end of the list, then you'll not have chance to be accepted. :(

Yes! Application could be rejected if university have a list of nominees and by luck your name at the end of the list, then you'll not have chance to be accepted. :(

I was rejected too... it's true that applicants could be rejected even after the nomination of university...
and, i didn't know my rank at all...i've been told that 13 nominees, 2 only have been selected.

whoa!
both Doshisha and Kyoto University are reputable university.
Did you apply through certain program tht requires univ.recommendation, or directly ask the professor for MEXT univ.recommendation?

:D
whoa!
both Doshisha and Kyoto University are reputable university.
Did you apply through certain program tht requires univ.recommendation, or directly ask the professor for MEXT univ.recommendation?

No, i approached him and asked for university recommendation. What he told me was this university recommendation is competitive. I wasn't so positive on this in the beginning because 1 candidate per faculty, after I've got selected by university, I was so happy and really really hope to grab it. However, it didn't go as I expected because MEXT rarely rejects candidates at this stage and I was really hurt that time...

oh, maybe because it is a direct route from professor to MEXT.
because there are certain program created by the univ. for U2U MEXT, such as IGP A TokyoTech, Frontier Science International Graduate Program from Tohoku Univ.
but still...finger crossed

As I have know that professor can't apply directly to MEXT without university recommendation. It is one of the stipulation point that the nominees should occur.

Akira, your case is 100% same as mine. The rejection was - as you said - because there were such 15 nominees and we were not on the first priority on the list. So MEXT is just selecting 1 or 2 first names that they are highly recommended by the university itself. That's all.

Hope things will be different this year and we will never be hurted again :)

According to Monbusho information page for university officials, the number of uni-rec recipients for an institution depends on the number of international students enrolled (roughly 1 for every 300).

Maximum is 7.

Kyoto University
Oopsツ… I'm also applying for a program provided by Kyodai.

Up to now, I've been told that the number of nominees is equal to the number of scholarships dedicated to the program. So, in that sense, the maximum could be much higher than 7.
Anywayツ… still worrying about it.

According to Monbusho information page for university officials, the number of uni-rec recipients for an institution depends on the number of international students enrolled (roughly 1 for every 300).

Maximum is 7.

I didn't get your point.. how it comes 7?

Taken from Monbusho page. I would post a link, but it does not allow me to include one.
Code:
ツ?椎スQツ考ツ:窶「ツスツ青ャ22窶扼窶忸ツ催娯?廃ヒ徃窶堙娯?掏窶「ツェ窶「テサ窶邸ツ≫?
ツ〜   30           0
31 ツ〜   75            1(窶板敘地窶堙娯?堙敖)
76 ツ〜  350           1
351 ツ〜  650          2
651 ツ〜  900          3
901 ツ〜 1,300        4
1,301 ツ〜 1,700     5
1,701 ツ〜 2,100     6
2,101 ツ〜              7

I answer in the other thread, but maybe it can clarify a bit here as well. There are various quotas, the PGP one will only be shown in early July and the not PGP quotas are usually available at April (those I believe are late this year).
The forum does not allow me to paste the source for this information, but search on google for "PGP quota university Japan Research student Japan MEXT".

So, which quotas are you applying for?

Back
Top Bottom