What's new

Meditation Retreat @Zen Temple

nash99

後輩
7 Jul 2004
Hello everybody,

I am seeking advice on finding a 1-week (or longer) meditation retreat at a Zen temple, preferably with at least a little English instruction. Can anybody please help? Thank you very much.

I am a graduate student and I am studying the comparison of Thai Theravada's Vipassana (Insight Meditation) and Zen Meditation. My focus is more on the application of those wisdom in daily life of a modern global citizen. Having read some of the postings here, it would also be my honor to hear from you all here on your personal experience with meditation of any kind.

Cheers, :)

nash99 said:
Hello everybody,

I am seeking advice on finding a 1-week (or longer) meditation retreat at a Zen temple, preferably with at least a little English instruction. Can anybody please help? Thank you very much.

I am a graduate student and I am studying the comparison of Thai Theravada's Vipassana (Insight Meditation) and Zen Meditation. My focus is more on the application of those wisdom in daily life of a modern global citizen. Having read some of the postings here, it would also be my honor to hear from you all here on your personal experience with meditation of any kind.

Cheers, :)

Hi Nash!

I think Kakuzen provided that information somewhere here in this section, but I can't seem to find it just now. Meanwhile, I thought I'd provide you with the link to E-Sangha, in case you aren't aware of it: http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/
It's an online Buddhist community, and you might find answers to your questions in the Zen, Theravada, and Meditation sections.

I would be happy to share any meditation experiences with you, but thought you might want to check out E-Sangha first. Also, I'll continue to try to find the information Kakuzen provided about Zen temples. Where are you located, exactly?

Thank you very much, Satori. Will do check out as you recommend.

I live and study in Bangkok, Thailand, but plans to apply for a research scholarship to spend 3 months in Japan, both at a Zen temple and at a university doing research under faculty guidance. My prior investigation before finding this forum indicates that Kyoto might be the area I should focus my search on, although not exclusively.

Thanks again for your help. If I can be of any assistance for anyone in this forum regarding Buddhism or meditation in Thailand, please don't hesitate to let me know! :)

nash99 said:
Thank you very much, Satori. Will do check out as you recommend.

I live and study in Bangkok, Thailand, but plans to apply for a research scholarship to spend 3 months in Japan, both at a Zen temple and at a university doing research under faculty guidance. My prior investigation before finding this forum indicates that Kyoto might be the area I should focus my search on, although not exclusively.

Thanks again for your help. If I can be of any assistance for anyone in this forum regarding Buddhism or meditation in Thailand, please don't hesitate to let me know! :)

Hi Nash,

There is a member at E-Sangha who is a monk at Wat Arun in Thailand. He goes by the name of Panyavuto over there. I found a link to some information that Kakuzen shared here at the forum, but so far, I still can't locate any list of Zen temples in Japan. Here is the link to Kakuzen's post: Zen in Japan
I would suggest sending Kakuzen a PM and asking him about the information you seek. He is an extremely nice person, and I'm sure he'd be happy to help. He is also a member of E-Sangha and is known as Zenshin over there. But you can contact him right here at the Japan forum, and he should respond to your PM.

I don't know how active this section of the forum is lately, but please feel free to contribute. :)

Back
Top Bottom