• Total voters

Khaled.M.

後輩
22 Jan 2017
hello everybody
i am Egyptian medical student
and i will start learning Japanese soon
i have some questions about being doctor in japan and practice medicine
i read alot about rules and that i should get N1 in Japanese and pass national exam

my question is about what will happen after get all of that

i mean if i pass exam and get N1
the system of doctor distribution in japan
how is that ?

the department i wanna get is it depend on exam degree ?

how to jet job as doctor there
is it done by government or i should search fro one and admit to get one ?
the system of distribution?

and what about neurosurgery ''' is it good in japan ? , '''

and if i come to japan just after finishing medical school will be beter or wait in my country till get some experience ?

and thanks alot

I don't know the process to become a doctor here, for Japanese or foreigners. But I would like to ask why you want to do that here?

and i will start learning Japanese soon

That's your biggest problem; you haven't even started yet.

It will take an incredible amount of time and effort... at the same time you are in a field of study which requires an incredible amount of time and effort.

Here is a program which might interest you.

外国人医師の日本での診療は可能?!臨床修練制度とは? - 大阪で就労ビザの申請ならLinks行政書士事務所へ
日本の最先端医療を学びませんか? JobsWorld for doctor

(I think in the second link they mean 日本語能力試験, not 日本語検定).

A recruiting site for foreign doctors wishing to practice in Japan:

日本の最先端医療を学びませんか? JobsWorld for doctor

In all honesty, you shouldn't even worry about any of this until your Japanese is at least good enough to google the information for yourself. It will be many, many years from now before you can come here anyway and laws, policies, and programs may change before then.

why you want to do that here?

many reasons

1st better quality to learn medicine and improve my knowladge
2nd give me chance to do research
3rd low standard here in Egypt
and there r alot of reasons to leave egypt to parctice medicine in other countries
i learn med. in english so u think better to go to us or uk but it's difficult to egyptian in general

and i think japan is great country with good people
and i am interested in japanese culture

finaly

thanks for ur answer

You said you just started learning Japanese. Even if you study every day for 2-3 hours, have a good teacher or program, and are a fairly good student at picking up the language, it's going to take 4-5 years in my estimation before you are ready for the licensing exam. I'm not saying that's all it will take, but it's a bare minimum if you are a good learner. Have you even looked at the 3 alphabets that you have to be able to read and write?

Japan has extremely few foreign doctors for good reasons.
language ability
difference in medical culture
lack of trust by the public

You said you just started learning Japanese. Even if you study every day for 2-3 hours, have a good teacher or program, and are a fairly good student at picking up the language, it's going to take 4-5 years in my estimation before you are ready for the licensing exam. I'm not saying that's all it will take, but it's a bare minimum if you are a good learner. Have you even looked at the 3 alphabets that you have to be able to read and write?

Japan has extremely few foreign doctors for good reasons.
language ability
difference in medical culture
lack of trust by the public

agree with all of that

i know it's not easy thing to do but i have a goal and i will do my best to achieve it whatever it takes

and thanks for ur answer

Your profile says you are 20 years old, and in your signature you sign yourself "Dr. Khaled M."

Is there some inaccuracy there?

yes i know

but in Egypt
it's common

any way i deleted it

and Thanks

You're welcome.

Please note that we have a Learning Japanese section on the forum as well. If you need help or have questions about your Japanese studies please feel free to post them.

Good luck with all your studies.

You guys have ignored one small detail about foreign degrees in medical system and passing the national exam:
there is ZERO chance that he will be allowed to sit the national exam even if he is a genius and speaks, writes and reads Japanese better than natives. Usually foreigners who want to have japanese patients and work here are asked to study medicine from the beginning.

Being allowed to sit the exam is a privilege not a right, he will probably be asked to study Japanese medicine from the beginning.

One more important thing: Japan is NOT Europe or North America:
In Canada or in UK, it might be OK to have a "non-european looking" doctor but in Japan it is definitely a big no-no, the Japanese patients will avoid him like the plague. I am not kidding here.

Last edited:
You guys have ignored one small detail about foreign degrees in medical system and passing the national exam:
there is ZERO chance that he will be allowed to sit the national exam even if he is a genius and speaks, writes and reads Japanese better than natives. Usually foreigners who want to have japanese patients and work here are asked to study medicine from the beginning.

Being allowed to sit the exam is a privilege not a right, he will probably be asked to study Japanese medicine from the beginning.

One more important thing: Japan is NOT Europe or North America:
In Canada or in UK, it might be OK to have a "non-european looking" doctor but in Japan it is definitely a big no-no, the Japanese patients will avoid him like the plague. I am not kidding here

are you sure about that ?

You can provide citations to back those assertions? Links, please.

In Canada or in UK, it might be OK to have a "non-european looking" doctor but in Japan it is definitely a big no-no, the Japanese patients will avoid him like the plague.

Funny... there is an Afghani who has been practicing medicine in Gifu for forty years and who is well though of.

I am not kidding here.

No, I'm sure you're not. But you are speaking from ignorance and giving out opinions disguised as facts.

How do you not see the logical disconnect between the ZERO assertion and the use of "probably"? Since you also say "usually" it gives the impression you have some facts or statistics about the process and procedures. Give us your sources, if they exist outside your own blinkered prejudices, that is.

Japan doesn't make it easy, but then again, why should it?

"According to the British Embassy Tokyo, there are only five British doctors working in Japan..."
From a 2015 article which coincidentally cites an Afghani doctor in Japan (without mentioning how he got that degree unfortunately):
Globalising Japan's medical care ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

More information from another 2015 article:
Tokyo hospitals to add five foreign doctors for expats | The Japan Times
"Currently, doctors from the U.S., the U.K., France and Singapore can practice in Japan without a Japanese medical license under bilateral agreements with those nations, but they can only see patients of their own nationality."

You can provide citations to back those assertions? Links, please.
Work in the Medical Field: Terrie Lloyd interviewing Guy Harris - Terrie Lloyd
The Japanese government won't let him sit the exam just like that. He needs first to understand how things work here in that field.

Funny... there is an Afghani who has been practicing medicine in Gifu for forty years and who is well though of.

Again the old Afghani doc....can you please provide me few other examples because I am tired of this guy and please forget about the very old Russian one in Roppongi, I already know this story.

I am not a native English speaker, maybe there was a misunderstanding about "non-European looking" doctor. What I am talking about is about being a doctor and not having the usual look of the people you see at hospital, being a white/black/middle easterner doctor in a Japanese hospital is unusual and patients won't feel easy about that.

Like it or not, those who never lived here don't know about some realities and may expect something like in Canada or in UK and get a shock when they realize that people don't even seat next to them in the train.

Last edited:
The Japanese government won't let him sit the exam just like that. He needs first to understand how things work here in that field.

Where in that article did it say the Japanese government won't let him sit the exam? If in fact they won't, it may have something to do with the guy being a Doctor of Osteopathy rather than an M.D.

Osteopathy - Wikipedia

It only takes one example to disprove a blanket assertion; the weary Afghani is sufficient.

Mike, Mike...can you just stop for a minute and read the thread from the beginning?

Just in case you forgot: we are talking about practicing in Japan with a foreign medical license. OK? There are more than 2 million of foreigners here, many of them born here are Chinese and Korean, sure some of them managed to get a medical license, maybe there are some westerners who studied in the Japanese school system since they were kids. Maybe...

But all cases of FOREIGN medical licenses holders (a dozen) I heard about are doctors who have foreign patients; the Afghani guy has a Japanese license and studied medicine HERE. The defunct Russian doctor Eugene Aksenoff came in Japan in 1940s and studied medicine HERE.

Can I ask you a question Mike? According to you, when you study medicine in Canada or in France or in US, do medical schools teach you all medication preparations names around the globe?
Unfortunately, I have a cardiac arrhythmia and often see doctors here; do you think a foreign doc knows the Japanese name of the Amiodarone that I could get in the US or its name in France? They surely know the ingredients for such medicine but the name on the prescription? What is the name of that medicine in Japan? What will they write? Please tell me…

OK Mike, keep on trolling...

The OP said from the beginning he is aware he needs to pass the national licensing exam. Why are you trying to say the entire discussion has been about practicing with a foreign license?

You have tried to pass of as fact your uninformed opinion that foreigners who did not graduate medical school in Japan are not allowed to sit the licensing exam. That is complete hogwash and utter bullśhit, which is easily refuted by simply looking up the requirements to sit the exam and then reading them. There is no reason to speak from one's own ignorance and prejudices when there the actual facts are so readily available.

Here, read this:

医師国家試験受験資格認定について|厚生労働省

You have a hell of a nerve, trying to crush somebody else's aspirations based on ignorance, suppositions and misinformation and then in the face of facts to the contrary claim others are trolling. You were spouting bullśhit and you got called out on it, deservedly so.

More information from another 2015 article:
Tokyo hospitals to add five foreign doctors for expats | The Japan Times
"Currently, doctors from the U.S., the U.K., France and Singapore can practice in Japan without a Japanese medical license under bilateral agreements with those nations, but they can only see patients of their own nationality."

It seems that the restriction regarding nationality has since been eased:

http://www.luke.ac.jp/home/pdf/pr20160901_foreign_doctors.pdf

Back
Top Bottom