What's new

Medicine in Edo period

24 Apr 2010
I read article of professor Tsuyoshi awaya . He read :There are examples of the brain, liver, lungs, heart, bone, flesh, and fetus Being Utilized as medication in Japan in times past time.
I have read many books and I know that the dissection of bodies was forbidden by the shogunate, but also for religious reasons.
The first dissections were performed in 17 century by the Dutch medical residents in Japan and the ETA, the outcasts, and otherwise prepared to do so because they took most money or the collection of human bile for medical purposes.
Regarding utilizazzione of human body parts I read that in Europe were still collected from the corpses of criminals,
but what about Japan I have not found sources that explain where they were taken also because dissection was forbidden and was carried out by ETA on criminals.
Thus the organs to make medicines were taken from the bodies of criminals by Eta?

I read article of professor Tsuyoshi awaya . He read :There are examples of the brain, liver, lungs, heart, bone, flesh, and fetus Being Utilized as medication in Japan in times past time.
I have read many books and I know that the dissection of bodies was forbidden by the shogunate, but also for religious reasons.
The first dissections were performed in 17 century by the Dutch medical residents in Japan and the ETA, the outcasts, and otherwise prepared to do so because they took most money or the collection of human bile for medical purposes.
Regarding utilizazzione of human body parts I read that in Europe were still collected from the corpses of criminals,
but what about Japan I have not found sources that explain where they were taken also because dissection was forbidden and was carried out by ETA on criminals.
Thus the organs to make medicines were taken from the bodies of criminals by Eta?
Dissections I believe were first performed on decapitated criminals (a lot of women) by Dutch doctors, under supervision of the Edo government in the mid-18th Century ?

I'm not sure if the Burakumin class actually performed the dissections, though, or what the motives may have been for doing so. In order to collect human bile, monies received or for whatever reason...I'm guessing not the advancement of anatomical physiology as much as for very practical work on animal anatomy, which could then be applied to leatherwork, tanning/skinning, dead creatures all engaged in "unclean" professions.

I'm not sure if the Burakumin class actually performed the dissections

according to Rangaku koto hajime

蘭学事始 - Wikipedia

ツ「窶堋ィ窶堙娯?堋ィ窶堙戸廣窶堙ェ窶堋セ窶堙≫?堙?最独単ナ陳エツ(ナス竄ャナ炭ツ湘ェツ)窶堙可静昶?堋ッ窶堙ァ窶堙ェ窶堋スナ陳ゥ窶「ツィツ湘ェ窶堙俄?堙「窶堙≫?堙??堋ォ窶堋スツ。窶ーテー窶填窶堙債「窶堋ヲ窶堋スツ」窶堙固津閉渉シ(窶堙??堙ァ窶堙懌?堙?窶堙??堋「窶堋、ナステ停?堋ェ窶堋ア窶堙??堙娯?堙吮?堋ゥ窶堋、窶堙懌?堋ュツ、窶楼窶堙?窶堙≫?堙??禿ア窶伉ゥ窶堋オ窶堙??堋ィ窶堋「窶堋スツ。窶堋オ窶堋ゥ窶堋オ窶ケ}窶堙俄?「a窶ケC窶堙俄?堙遺?堙≫?堋ス窶堙娯?堙?、ナ津閉渉シ窶堙娯?歪窶「ニ停?堙??扼窶氾ョ窶堋ェ90ツ催寂?堙固ステ停?堋ェ窶佚」窶堙ュ窶堙ィ窶堙俄?堙「窶堙≫?堙??堋ォ窶堋スツ。窶敕樞?堙?ナステ。窶堋「ツ債?窶堙ヲ窶堙ィ窶ーテー窶填窶堙坂?忸ツ々窶堙「窶堙≫?堙??堋ィ窶堙ィツ、ツ債。窶堙懌?堙?絶?敖人窶堙ーナスティナ?|窶堋ッ窶堙??堋ォ窶堋ス窶堙?彙窶堋オ窶堙??堋「窶堙ゥツ。ツ」

I ask if someone can do a research on topic or call directly the professor Awaya for my question( the professor Awaya speak in English. I am Italian I only read English but i don't speak English)
the number of professor is (+81)-(0)90-3377-6800, (+81)-(0)80-3871-0640.
My question is :The bodies to make medicines from the period of the introduction of Chinese medicine to the Muromachi period were taken exclusively from criminals?
please it is very important

Back
Top Bottom