What's new

Media Responses to Japanese Cataclysm

Nuala

Hell's Finest Daughter
15 Jul 2004
I'm slowly becoming frustrated with the media's response to the cataclysm that Japan is facing. Granted, the channels I have been watching did not break coverage of the earthquake & tsunami when Charlie Sheen was arrested the same day. That in itself says a lot, and I apologize for even mentioning him in this thread. To continue on, one media company in Indonesia actually started selling advertising rights to their coverage of the situation in Japan.

FOX News was criticized for trivializing the rest of the massive problems that Japan is suffering through right now, that their focus on the nuclear power plant problems is trivializing them. I for one thought it was wretched they took time out of the coverage to let us know they were being criticized. I didn't know until then. I didn't want to know either. But that's about it right now. Is there anything your country's media is doing in response to the problems that Japan is facing that disturbs, disgusts, or upsets you?

Here in the UK I have been watching the coverage provided by BBC News 24 and Sky News. I have to say that I have found their coverage to be very good and as accurate as possible. But in this so called modern world of multi network news coverage, one channel will always differ from another channel.

Here in the UK I have been watching the coverage provided by BBC News 24 and Sky News. I have to say that I have found their coverage to be very good and as accurate as possible. But in this so called modern world of multi network news coverage, one channel will always differ from another channel.

Oh yes, definitely! I've had no qualms with the BBC's coverage of it. They've been great, but the most accurate has been the live feed from Reuters, at least in my opinion.

Havent got the live feed of Reuters myself, but do agree with you as to them being the best news agency in the world. They are the best lol.

Havent got the live feed of Reuters myself, but do agree with you as to them being the best news agency in the world. They are the best lol.

Indeed! I was using BBC.co.uk for the majority of my news throughout the day, but Reuters has really shown their merit to me.

Well, what can I say about this..

Some people out there are convinced Japan has been swept away from the map and they are getting brainwashed that a new Chernobyl is imminent. I've noticed some sneaky choises of words going on at the big media stations. FYI: 'meltdown' does NOT mean nuclear output per se.

I don't have sat TV

I followed the whole on U Tube, mostly Euronews. I never watch the news here because the TV is in French. I lived in UK and US and am used to news in English. What I saw on U Tube is gruesome, but what I admire the most is that people stay brave and strong facing the disaster.

The only thing that's annoyed me recently is the Metro paper's coverage of the disaster. They had a 7 page spread covering every little detail. But what's that dotted on EVERY SINGLE BLOODY PAGE (at least twice)? Pictures of Pokemon?

Really, Metro? REALLY?

(Sorry for no accent over the E in Pokemon... but it came out like this... é)

The only thing that's annoyed me recently is the Metro paper's coverage of the disaster. They had a 7 page spread covering every little detail. But what's that dotted on EVERY SINGLE BLOODY PAGE (at least twice)? Pictures of Pokemon?
Really, Metro? REALLY?
(Sorry for no accent over the E in Pokemon... but it came out like this... é)

I don't believe you! Are you being serious? :<

I am being 100 percent serious, my good sir. They were presumably adverts for the Black/White game and they were all over the paper. Well... all over the 7 page spread of the disaster. As soon as the stories about Japan ended, so did the adverts. Very badly played by that paper.

http://e-edition.metro.co.uk/2011/03/14/

There you go!

First 10 pages (including one with the 60 second interview and nothing to do with Japan) all have Pokemon on them. And the first 9 of those 10 are to do with the disaster. I am embarrased by my country.

Oh, that's an ad for the new Pokemon Black & White games for the Nintendo DS. That's not too bad, so don't feel embarrassed.

I just thought it was bad timing... and the fact that they more or less ended as the Japanese headlines did... it seemed in poor taste to me. And so many of them...

well, here in Germany its on t.v pretty much 24/7 and there is a huge increase in chernobyl doco's. Aswell as that there is the discussion about Germany nuclear plants if they should be stopped, bla, bla, the usually politically stuff.

However i must say the coverage has been pretty good, much better then it usually is with such disasters.

I just thought it was bad timing... and the fact that they more or less ended as the Japanese headlines did... it seemed in poor taste to me. And so many of them...

I know what you're saying, but it's not like the Pokemon are against pictures of the damage done to Japan. You know what I mean? It's just an ad, that space was probably paid for long before this nightmare hit. It's not like they're capitalizing on the pain and suffering of the Japanese people.

well, here in Germany its on t.v pretty much 24/7 and there is a huge increase in chernobyl doco's. Aswell as that there is the discussion about Germany nuclear plants if they should be stopped, bla, bla, the usually politically stuff.
However i must say the coverage has been pretty good, much better then it usually is with such disasters.

Yeah, Arch. Environmental and animal rights organizations are lashing out at Japan. Of course, they try to make their comments regarding the situation in Japan as sympathetic as needed socially in such a situation, but the message remains clear. Greenpeace for example sent a message to everyone subscribed to it's newsletter about how we should take action against nuclear power in the USA, based on the trouble Japan is having with theirs. How deplorable, how reprehensible is that? It defies logic on how cheap it is.

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society? Goddamn jerks are rambling about the generosity of Japanese people helping them get back to their goddamn hotel. That's great! The Japanese people are a great and generous people. I have always thought of them that way, but the innate truth to that message is that they burdened the people suffering at that time with their petty crap. Talking about dolphins while tens of thousands of people are dying? It's unacceptable, no matter how much I love animals, I just can't warrant being more concerned about them than human life. My love for these two organizations has taken a heavy blow the past few days.

I'm not surprised, Thor. It is ridiculous the kind of things the media will come out with when a disaster is occuring. It might just be me annoyed by this, but it irritates me when the main focus of the media is what is happening to people from their own country in affected areas. It happened in Libya: The stories were about UK / American people evacuated from the area. It happened in Egypt: Same thing as Libya. I even saw it happen with Japan: Yahoo! News reported that some American people have been affected by the radiation. As the main headline. Not just as an aside. It was, "American rescue team affected by radiation" as the headline. Priorities, people!

I'm not surprised, Thor. It is ridiculous the kind of things the media will come out with when a disaster is occuring. It might just be me annoyed by this, but it irritates me when the main focus of the media is what is happening to people from their own country in affected areas. It happened in Libya: The stories were about UK / American people evacuated from the area. It happened in Egypt: Same thing as Libya. I even saw it happen with Japan: Yahoo! News reported that some American people have been affected by the radiation. As the main headline. Not just as an aside. It was, "American rescue team affected by radiation" as the headline. Priorities, people!

Indeed, priorities need to be kept. Their focus is a little off, it could probably be to get people of said nationalities to pay attention to the suffering of everyone affected by this disaster. You know what I mean? They see, "American affected by radiation!", keep watching, and then are presented with more important information. That's how FOX has been doing it at the very least. And this is why I am paying attention to the Reuters coverage, they're not pulling that crap.

Should I just google Reuters to get their coverage, or is it a TV station? I've been getting my info mostly from your thread, and want to stay fairly up to date myself. I mean, I am going to re-read the entire thread carefully so I can see the history of what has happened so far, but I'd like to see what is happening right now too...

Should I just google Reuters to get their coverage, or is it a TV station? I've been getting my info mostly from your thread, and want to stay fairly up to date myself. I mean, I am going to re-read the entire thread carefully so I can see the history of what has happened so far, but I'd like to see what is happening right now too...

Reuters live coverage here. 81 pages of it!

Back
Top Bottom