What's new

Meaning of kore in this sentence

Razahia

先輩
7 Jun 2013
Manabi tsuzuketainda kore kara mo

According to the translation it means From now on, too, I wish to continue learning.

Doesn't Kore mean This?

"Kore" means "now" in that instance. It might be close to "this time" in English.

So Kore has different meanings now? Seems like every word has 5 meanings haha.

I don't suppose I can ask you to explain why it doesn't mean what I think it does here?

Japanese are really confusing, so many words that can be used with different meanings.. Really difficult language to study. Consider kure as well as a slang of kudasai.. like for example, 助けてください・助けてくれ!

"Kore" is a demonstrative for things in the speaker's side. In this case, it just refers to "this time" instead of "this thing".

It's because of language difference. A word might not be one-to-one correspondence, sometimes one-to-multiple or vice versa, not just between English and Japanese but also among many other languages.

It's true, and the way to handle this is really to memorize it and be always familiar with it as you will be using this in your everday life.

これ1 ローマ(kore)
[⇒これという, これくらい, これっぱかり, これでこそ, これでも, これなら, これほど]
1 〔このもの・この人〕 this 《pl. these》; this one.
▲これが次女です. This is my ┌younger [second] daughter.
▲これにさわらないでください. Please don't touch ┌this [these].
▲これを見てくれ. Look at ┌this [these].
・これを見て感動しない人はいない. Nobody could see this without ┌emotion [being moved].
・〔店員に〕 これをください. Please give me ┌this [these]. | Can I buy ┌this [these]?
・これを産んだとき私は 30 歳でした. I was thirty when I had ┌this one [him, her].
▲これだ. This is [That's] the one. | This is [That's] it!
・これこそ私の探していたものだ. This is [That's] exactly ┌what [the one] I was looking for.
・私が持っている資料はこれきりだ. These are the only materials I have. | I don't have any other materials ┌at all [whatsoever].
・これかあれかと迷うことが多い. I often can't ┌choose between one thing and another [decide which to choose]. | I often can't make up my mind (which to go for).
・これと思う人がいたら紹介してください. If you ┌know [meet] anybody who seems suitable, please introduce me. | If there's anyone you think appropriate, please let me know.
・これと思ったことは決してあきらめない. Once I've decided to do something, I can't give up.
2 〔このこと〕 this; that.
▲これが済んだらお茶にしよう. Let's have ┌some tea [a tea break] when ┌we've finished this [this is done, this is over].
・禁煙, これが今年の目標だ. Giving up smoking; that's my aim for this year.
▲これを聞いたら, あいつ驚くぞ. He'll ┌get a shock [be amazed] when he hears ┌this [that]. | This'll [That'll] give him a shock!
・これを親ばかというのだろうね. I suppose this is a case of parental love being blind. | This must be a classical case of a fond ┌father [mother], I guess.
▲恒久平和, これすなわち人類究極の願いである. Perpetual peace; this [that] is mankind's supreme desire.
・それもこれも私の理解をこえる. Both of them are ┌beyond me [too difficult for me]. | I don't understand either (of them).
・こればっかりはねえ. 直接本人に当たってみたらどうです. Oh dear; this is difficult. How about asking her directly? | In a case like this I don't think ┌I can help [it's for me to advise you]. Why don't you ask her yourself?
・打つ手はこれしかない. This is ┌all [the only thing] we can do. | There's ┌nothing else we can do [no alternative (to this)].
・あいつの失敗はこれだけじゃないんだ. This isn't the ┌first [only] time he has ┌failed [got things wrong, messed things up].
・これもみなあなたのおかげです. This is all [All this is] thanks to you.
3 〔この状態・程度〕 this; this ┌situation [state of affairs].
▲これでいいですか. Is this ┌all right [OK]? | Is it OK ┌this way [like this]?
・これでいいのだろうか. Can this be right? | Am I doing [I wonder if I'm doing] the right thing?
・これでいいのだ. This is how it should be. | I've done the right thing.
・これでうまくいくだろう. It'll be ┌all right [OK] like this. | It'll ┌go smoothly [work properly] now. | There won't be any problems, now.
・え, これで終わりなの. Is ┌this [that] it? | Isn't there any more?
・これで 100 万円だよ. This ┌was [cost, took] a million yen!
・これ(=この服装)では人前に出られない. I can't ┌appear (in front of people) [go out] (dressed) like this! | I can't go out in these (clothes).
▲子供をこれまでに育て上げるには親の苦労も並大抵じゃあるまい. It's no easy task to bring up a child to be like this. | Parents have to go through a good deal to raise a child to this level.
▲これをもってよしとしよう. Let's leave it at ┌this [that]. | This is probably good enough.
▲これは困った. Oh dear! | That [This] is ┌difficult [awkward, a nuisance]. __is に強勢を置く.
・これは驚いた. Good heavens! | My [Good] God! | What a ┌surprise [shock]! | This is a ┌surprise [shock]. __is に強勢を置く. | You ┌shock [amaze] me!
・これじゃ合格は難しい. At this rate he's not likely to pass. | He won't get in unless he can do better than this.
・これでは若者がその才能を発揮する場がない. As things are [With things as they are, At the moment] there is nowhere for young people to use their skills.
・これではまだ君を昇進させるわけには行かない. As things are [With things like this], we can't promote you yet. | Under [In] these circumstances we can't think of giving you (a) promotion.
・これではとうてい明朝までに仕事を終えられない. At this rate we will never finish the work by tomorrow morning.
・なんというざまだ. これでは打線が売り物のチームの看板が泣く. How dreadful [This is terrible]! There goes [So much for, ″This will put paid to] our reputation as a team with a powerful batting lineup.
・これでもまだいいほうだ. いつもはもっとひどい. Well, it's ┌not as bad as [less awful than] usual; it's usually (still) worse.
・これだけ頼んでもだめですか. Not [You won't do it] even if I beg you like this? | You are really determined to refuse me, are you?
・これだけ言って聞かせてもまだわからないのか. Why do you refuse to understand? I've told you over and over again.
・若い者はこれだから困る. That's how the young are. It's ┌infuriating [enraging]. | I'm afraid young people are just like that; there's nothing we can do.
・「あ, ビール冷やすの忘れてた」「これだよ」 "Oh dear! I forgot to cool the beer."―"Oh not again! | There you go again! | Typical! | You would! __would に強勢を置く. | *Give me a break!"
・あいつと一緒に仕事をするといつもこれだからうんざりだ. This ┌is what always happens [happens all the time] when I work with him. It's absolutely infuriating [I can't stand it, 《口》 It pisses me off].
4 〔現時点〕 now; 〔今回〕 this time.
▲これからの時代 the future; times to come; the coming ┌age [period]
・これからの時代に in (the) future; from now on
・これからの日本 Japan as ┌it [she] will be; the Japan of the future; the future Japan; Japan in the future
・これからお宅をお訪ねします. I'll come [I'm coming] to see you now. | I am on my way (to your house).
・これから結論を申します. I am (now) going to announce our ┌conclusion [decision]. | This is ┌what we have decided [our decision, our conclusion]. | Our decision is ┌this [as follows].
・これから着陸態勢に入ります. We are now preparing ┌to land [for landing].
・おもしろいのはこれからだ. (Wait!) This is [I'm just getting to] the ┌interesting part [″funny bit]. | 《口》 You ┌ain't heard nothing [haven't heard the half of it] yet.
・これからが大変だ. Now for the tough part. | This is where it starts getting ┌tough [difficult].
・これから先どうなるかわからない. Nobody knows ┌what's going to happen next [where things'll go from here]. | It's impossible to know [There is uncertainty, I'm worried] about the future.
・これからというときに彼は夭折した. He died just when all his future lay before him.
▲会議はこれで終わりです. That's ┌it [all]. | We'll finish ┌now [here]. | I declare this session over.
・ではこれで失礼します. Good-bye. | I'm leaving [I'll leave] now. | I'll take my leave at this point.
▲捜査のこれまでの経過 police investigations ┌so far [thus far, up to date, until now]
・これまではそれでよかった. That was acceptable [We have been able to do that] until now. | That has been acceptable in the past.
・これまでどおり仲よくしよう. Let's be friends (just) as we always have been.
・これまでがこれまでだからあの男は信用ができない. I can't trust him, seeing what he has been. | In view of [Given] his past, I don't trust him.
・今日はこれまでにしておこう. Let's ┌leave off here today [call it a day]. | I think that's enough for today.
・もはやこれまでだ. There is nothing else to be done. | It is all up with us. | I'm finished.
・これまでです. 〔将棋など〕 I ┌give up [resign, admit defeat]. | 〔いくさに負けて〕 We have lost. | There is no hope. | This is the end.
▲金の無心はこれきりにしてくださいよ. Make this [I hope this'll be] the ┌last [only] time you ask (me for money). | I don't want you to ask me (for money) again.
5 〔この場所〕 here; this place. [⇒ここ2 1]
▲これより先カーブ多し. 〔標識〕 Bends Ahead.
__これもの ⇒これもの.
これ2 ローマ(kore)
〔呼びかけ〕
▲これ, ご覧. Come on [I say], look at this!
・これ, 待ってくれというのに. Wait, I tell you.
・これこれ, もう少し静かにできないか. Now ┌now [then], a little less noise, please!
・これこれ, 冗談もいい加減にしろ. Come, come! Less joking, please [Please be serious].
・これ, 泣くんじゃない. There, there. Don't cry. | Come now, there's no need to cry.
・これ, どこへ行く. Hello [Hi] there, where are you going?

Back
Top Bottom