What's new

Meaning of ひくな

shiodome-nao

後輩
29 Oct 2016
Hello there!

I was hoping one of you could help me with a phrase which has been tormenting me for quite some time now. In an anime ("Charlotte") I've watched a few months ago, a girl had this... well, 'sort of weird' catchphrase. She sometimes yelled "Hiku na!" (or at least that's what it sounds like) when someone else did something stupid/strange. The Fansubbing-group translated it as "Such a turn-off!", by the way.

There are videos of such scenes on Youtube, but since I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to post links here, I'll just leave them out for now.

I believe the verb she's using is 引く (to attract), but I honestly don't get the verb-form.

I'm guessing it should be the ない-form, but in that case the correct form would be 引かない, right? 引くな would be the negative-command form, which simply doesn't make any sense to me. Is it some kind of abbreviation, then? Anyway, it would be nice if someone could help me.

Also, I'm sorry for my bad English. I'm sure you already figured it out, but English is not my native language :(

Thanks for reading this post! Greetings and have a nice evening!

Indeed the verb is 引く, but it's a slangy expression for "to lose interest" in that case.

ひく【引く/曳く/牽く】
5 (「退く」とも書く)出ているものが遠くへ去る。しりぞく。
カ(俗語)相手に関心や興味を持たなくなる。相手から気持ちが離れる。「これを口にすると女性が―・く」→どん引き
ひく【引く/曳く/牽く】の意味 - goo国語辞書

What she said is 引く, not 引くな, no?

Thanks for your quick reply!

Sadly, my Japanese is not good enough to make any sense of the website you mentioned :(

I had no idea 引く was a slang-expression for "to lose interest". I'm quite sure she's saying 引くな, though. (A video of her saying that phrase a few times can be found at in case you're interested - I just hope I'm not breaking any rules with this).

Well, either way.. I'm guessing わ and な are both "just" sentence-ending particles here... right?

Anyway, thanks for your reply! I was about to cry :x

Have a nice evening!

Yes, she is saying 引くな in the video, and it's usually negative imperative of 引く, as you wrote. (The sentence final particle な(ぁ) has a different intonation from what she said.) I googled, and found that it confused most native Japanese viewers (including me), too. Even the voice actress 佐倉綾音 admitted that she couldn't judge the meaning of it, whether 引くわ or negative imperative 引くな, so she pronounced it as 引くわぁ, then the director gave her an OK. In conclusion, it's the character's special way of saying 引くわ, so "turn-off" is a good translation.

Hello again!

It seems like you went through considerable trouble because of me. I'm sorry - I never imagined that even native Japanese speakers were confused by that phrase. And also, thank you!

I guess i still have a long way ahead of me until I'm finally able to read/understand Japanese :x Well, I guess that's to be expected.

Again, thanks for taking the time to explain it to me! I just couldn't get it off my mind.

Greetings!

Back
Top Bottom