What's new

Maybe a banned user thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorP

先輩
3 Jun 2004
Maybe there should be a banned user thread. You could use it to identify banned users and what caused them to be banned.

One thread for everyone. Someone gets banned, a simple entry by anyone on the mod team such as:

Banned Member: I'mBootedtoday Reason: Refused to listen to mods; excessive spam of forums. Date ban will be lifted: either temporary/or never

something simple like that, then next time it happens (hopefully never) the next entry follows...no need for multiple threads for multiple people. This could also be used to announce that a ban was lifted, and why it was done.

Really? What practical use would such a thread be? Akin to wanted posters at a post office? I don't see it being a good thing.

The mod team on my site does something similar, but it's for staff use only...

The only users that I really care to learn are banned are the ones who actually made a contribution to the site (in one way or another). A majority of the users that get banned are spammers, in my experience.

nice gaijin said:
The mod team on my site does something similar, but it's for staff use only...

The only users that I really care to learn are banned are the ones who actually made a contribution to the site (in one way or another). A majority of the users that get banned are spammers, in my experience.
The only reason I can think might be helpful was if there was reason to think any lesser known users were being banned indiscriminately or for insubstanial reasons on the hope that they would never been missed and thus found out.
But yeah the number of spammers would be interesting but not terribly enlightening...

It would help to promote reasons for bannings. If say Elizabeth was banned, we could all see why, and there wouldn't be a need for an individual thread for the question. It could help serve as a deterrant to prevent the same types of infractions.

Spammers, people who create an account then spam and become banned would not need to be listed. I was thinking more along the lines of users with say more than 10-15 posts. Why was WallyS banned? I'm not sure, of course I must have missed something somewhere...but I participated in a few of his threads and I'm curious why he was banned.

CC1 said:
It would help to promote reasons for bannings. If say Elizabeth was banned, we could all see why, and there wouldn't be a need for an individual thread for the question. It could help serve as a deterrant to prevent the same types of infractions.

Outside of the person being banned and the administrators, what business is it for the rest of the membership? If some kind of foul play were being perpetrated by the mods, we would know about it already without the need for a special thread.

"Promote reasons for bannings." I have a hard time with "promoting" a negative. Is that the face we want the world to see when coming here?

ArmandV said:
Outside of the person being banned and the administrators, what business is it for the rest of the membership?

It is a public forum, not a private message service. It is basically public record. The way I see it.

CC1 said:
It is a public forum, not a private message service. It is basically public record. The way I see it.

I think people should have some minimum privacy.

OMG ! I was thinking the same thing CC1 ! Stop reading my mind :p

But at the same time it isn't such a good idea when you come to think of it ☝

I don't think he meant promote the reasons but just an informative why to reduce the number of "why" threads created. When a notoriously popular member gets banned or suddenly disappears people start to question. Would be a quick solution to that. But it's not like people are getting banned regularly. I guess.

Damicci said:
I don't think he meant promote the reasons but just an informative why to reduce the number of "why" threads created. When a notoriously popular member gets banned or suddenly disappears people start to question. Would be a quick solution to that. But it's not like people are getting banned regularly. I guess.
I can see both sides, but in any case the real or at least very specific reason isn't likely to be disclosed which would discount the informational/deterant value to come extent. And when it happens to someone well known everything seems to come out immediately (not like WallyS I suppose ?) anyway. ☝

If someone is banned and I'm curious why, I normally do a search on posts by that user. That's often enlightening. :p

Sounds like a nice idea. I too, would want to know why a member was banned. It would also help new forum members understand what behavior is acceptable here.

Ma Cherie said:
Sounds like a nice idea. I too, would want to know why a member was banned. It would also help new forum members understand what behavior is acceptable here.
New users should be reading the rules. But who does that now days. It's like saying you actually read the license agreements form well known companies. If a new user gets banned for breaking the rules and denying they knew about it too bad. In my opinion. O'course there should justification e.g. seriousness of issue, and were they warned about it. Sounds like to me the "banned" have been warned and continued regardless of the warnings.

Kinsao said:
If someone is banned and I'm curious why, I normally do a search on posts by that user. That's often enlightening. :p

Yes, I did the same as you.

Just have a look at some of the previous posts of that user, and have a look at the forum rules, and you will understand why somebody is banned.

nobody in here is banned without a fair reason! at least, nobody that I know.

It would be a problem if a user insulted and abused another user. And then instead of deleting this abusive mail and ban the user, the mail could be end up in such a "justification thread".

:unsure:

Why was WallyS banned? I'm not sure, of course I must have missed something somewhere...but I participated in a few of his threads and I'm curious why he was banned.
I was wondering this too. His last thread I don't recall being different in any way from all the others and I don't believe he was banned at the time it was locked. Although the last activity is showing Jun 11 and the thread was started May 20th so it could have resulted from a private contact with management in the intervening time or something he tried to start that was deleted. I'm not saying there wasn't a good reason just that it isn't always possible to judge what happened from the officially preserved record.

Ahh well, poor Wally ! :( I really do hope he is at a better place in his life than when he last met...

I don't know the specific reason wally was banned, but I could make an educated guess...

On another forum that I visited using the same saftware as Jref does, there is apparently a subforum that can only be viewed by members who have crossed a certain postcount threshold.

If the OP's idea of such a thread were ever to be implemented, I think that putting it on a subforum of such a nature would be the best place for it, and not directly in public. (Similar reasoning led me to put the "Hachiro" thread in the Community subforum rather than Admin contact. Apparently only registered members can view the Community subforum.)

Just look at the amount of Wally S posts and threads on one subject.Then there are the ones that were deleted on the same subject, plus not listening to PMs about his threads on that subject. You might get an idea of why he was eventually banned.:eek:

Its just a fact of life us regular Joes arent privvy to every bit of infomation that passes through these forums when mods make a decision.

I think its more of a case that do some of or all of us always trust the mods explination?.

I think if your that bothered a PM isnt a problem, and maybe the mods wouldnt mind a Pm that wasnt a rant from a soon-to-be-banned newbie, hehe. :p

Ma Cherie said:
I just noticed that osias had also been banned and there wasn't anything that stood out to me particularly in his last posts. I'm not saying it wasn't without reason, just out of curiousity....:?

All these members I was wondering whether they were just on vacation....
maybe it would be smart to start checking their profile first. 😌

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom