What's new

Material Proof of the 1937-1938 Invasion of China (Shanghai)

lexico

後輩
22 Dec 2004
I was surprised to find among my sister's collection of antiques an "ヒ?ェナ。ツ「" coin that seemed to record / commemorate the 1937 invasion of China. It is about the size of the US half-dollar with JFK. I don't have a camera or scanner with me at the moment; here's what I found on the net.

FRONT OF COIN
ナ。テ」ナ。ツ「

BACK OF COIN
top: ツ渉コヒ彗拾テヲテ?┐テ停?扼
centre: ツ青ェナスx窶ケL窶抂
bottom: ツ湘」ナ?C窶拮ナ陳ュナ坦ナ渡ナ坦

(translation)

top: Twelfth to Thirteenth year of the Showa reign years
centre: Commemorating the Invasion of China
bottom: (This person) participated in the dispatched forces to Shanghai

I do not know where she bought this; I know it was not from what little was inherited from grandfather, so she must have bought it at an antique shop. The strangest thing was that the coin had been glued onto a 5 cm x 7 cm black plastic plate with safety pin for wearing on a suit, most likely on the chest. The semi-lucid gluing between the glue and the plastic plate had separated, while it remained attached to the coin. I removed the glue from the coin for closer inspection and lo and behold, these letters appeared in the tensho script テ「ツスツ鞘? ! I shall try to find out more on this and give you an update. My question is was this coin issued in 1937 ? Briefly after the invasion of Shanghai, but before 1941 ? or after the surrender in 1945 ? Anyone ? On the front it simply says ヒ?ェナ。ツ「 with what appears to be the Chinese junk boat then seen often in the port of Shanghai / Hong Kong.

Related article: 窶愿コ窶怒ツ侵窶ーテ倪?ケL窶抂窶「ツシ

Last edited:
What's more! that coin is really very hard to find !

Because the Japanese callback and destroyed the coins after they surrender.

Last edited:
Thank you for digging that up, 4321go.
I was really surprised because this was totally unexpected. I am not even sure if my sister was aware of it.
I have cancelled by trip to find out more from my sister.
The boldness of stating "ツ青ェ(窶敖ー invade, chastise)ナスx(窶愿 China)窶ケL窶抂(Commemorate)" the shameful event of 1937-1938 which also involved the taking of Nanjing surprises me. While more than 350,000 Chinese individuals perished in the short span of 3 months, the Japanese celebrated those Chinese deaths, in the papers and on the face of coins. The war hero who killed the greatest number in their 100-man killing competition won the love of his future bride by his show of manly valour ! :auch: :eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom