What's new

Masculinity and teaching young kids

NewHero

先輩
19 Sep 2008
I like teaching children. I have before, but (unfortunately) not very much. Now that I will be going to Japan to teach English, I look forward to teaching children. I like children in general. But there is one thing that I keep thinking about.

Maybe I am being silly about this, but the idea of playing with puppets and stuffed animals just doesn't seem... well, it just doesn't seem very masculine. I wonder what others would think of me as I played with a stuffed teddy bear or puppet and sung songs with little boys & girls. That's the crux of it.

Don't get me wrong. It sounds like a total blast and I think I would enjoy doing these things very much. I want to make a difference in the lives of these children and help them improve their language skills.

Maybe some of you men can enlighten me on your experiences teaching kindergarten-age children in Japan and how you felt about it. Thanks.

I used to assist teaching at Sunday school.

There are times it is really great to get down on the floor and become one of the kids. We all have that "inner child" that likes to come out, often when we are a little drunk and less inhibited. Playing with kids offers a chance for the child in us to have fun for a good reason. Seeing little kids smile and laugh is much more valuble than money. I went to the little kids Halloween party painted white with black spots, dog ears and a tail and they loved it. Once in a while it is good to go down to their level, they will love you for it.

Uncle Frank

👍

I don't teach kids that young. Mine are college age, but I have taught as young as HS age. Masculinity has zero to do with teaching. Do you think Captain Kangaroo or Howdy Doody were masculine? You are not there to be a testosterone role model.

Don't like it? Don't teach.

If you want more advice from people who DO teach the youngsters in Japan, I suggest you visit the Yahoo listserv on ETJ.
Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

or ETJ Activities
Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

You want to teach children but don't want to get down on their level? What is with people and the ridiculous questions lately?

Don't get me wrong. It sounds like a total blast and I think I would enjoy doing these things very much. I want to make a difference in the lives of these children and help them improve their language skills.

I think... as a Japanese mother, those children of kindergarten-age need to learn their own language first. You would be disappointed that many parents don't expect you to do things more than playing puppets with their children.
If you really want to teach children, you can teach children of foreign families in your country. They need it.

I agree with the idea that masculinity and teaching (especially at the youngest of ages) are completely separate issues. Kindergarden age children don't care anyway, and they are probably too young to understand such gender issues except in the vaguest of terms.

On a side note, I have to agree with Hanachan about kids their native language first. It's really depressing seeing how little people seem to understand and be able to communicate in their own language.

Although it can be argued that teaching kids a foreign language as early as possible is best to try to take advantage of that "sweet spot" in development for language acquisition, I don't honestly think that being exposed to English for only one or two hours a week has much effect.

I don't mean to discourage you, but it's somethign I thought of when I read Hanachan's post.

You want to teach children but don't want to get down on their level? What is with people and the ridiculous questions lately?

I agree. Is this for real? They are just kids. Anybody thinks you are femmie or gay or whatever (assuming that is your worry) because you play with kids on their level would have to be a complete *****.

And, although this is a side note, I totally DISagree with hanachan and Mikawa. There are many countries that teach more than one language simultaneously with success.

Besides, the main point of teaching English to youngsters (younger than JHS age) is to motivate them for JHS and SHS, where the education really begins (and sadly where the whole education process needs to change, but that is a whole other topic).

Europe is not a country. Perhaps certain countries there teach more than one language.

Certain African countries teach more than one language. I believe parts of Canada do, too.

There are many countries in Europe,right ?

Most native Europeans speak a few local continental tongues ( not fluent though ) other than their own.I know Scandinavians excel in English.

Anglo-Canadians speak and write French at native level,really ?

And, although this is a side note, I totally DISagree with hanachan and Mikawa. There are many countries that teach more than one language simultaneously with success.
Besides, the main point of teaching English to youngsters (younger than JHS age) is to motivate them for JHS and SHS, where the education really begins (and sadly where the whole education process needs to change, but that is a whole other topic).

I don't think a foreign language is needed by most of the Japanese population most of the time. I also do not think that what other countries do is a reason for Japan to do something. The merits of learning a second language are enough to debate whether it is needed.

You point out that teaching youngsters English is to motivate them for JHS and HS. I don't see how that works. There will be kids who won't care for learning English at all. There will be kids who might have an interest but it would depend on the teaching methods or the teacher. Empirically I have not met many Japanese children, or adults who have gone through English language learning who have good English language ability. I do not think the blame can be on the education process. I think it is more simple, they don't care and there is no motivation to care because there is little use for it.

I understand the benefits of learning a second language. Most won't have any use for those benefits. Is "exposure" to a second language in school beneficial, I do not know. The idea is nice but whether it makes a big difference down the road compared to not being exposed I do not know. In my experience it just seems to have been a waste of time for most people.

My sister graduated from Keio HS in NY. She was born and raised there so she speaks English. She speaks Japanese because not only because she took JSL(Japanese as second language) at Keio but because her parents are Japanese and the language is spoken at home and the majority of Keio HS students are from Japan. The main spoken language on campus is Japanese. In contrast the majority of the student body in Japan born and bred. They attend a HS(though it is a boarding school) in NY and take English language courses with American teachers(at ridiculous tuition) and their English sucks after 3 years.

When there is no practical need for a second language I don't think those that don't care about learning a second language are going to find any motivation.

Maybe I am being silly about this, but the idea of playing with puppets and stuffed animals just doesn't seem... well, it just doesn't seem very masculine. I wonder what others would think of me as I played with a stuffed teddy bear or puppet and sung songs with little boys & girls. That's the crux of it.

I'm going to be very direct after reading this post and your previous one. You are not only being silly, but extremely immature. If this is a concern of yours I truly hope you find another line of work as a question this egocentric and insecure is disappointing when I know many who would be much more qualified applicants than one who behaves and thinks in this limited manner. Claiming that you want to make a difference, but posting this shows only that you are willing to say the words, but no willing to go forward with the effort behind them.

You should be concerned not about yourself and your image playing with puppets, but on best how to teach children. After seeing your previous post on how to marry a Japanese woman, and then this... it is very clear that your priorities are wrong from the start. Don't even apply please.

I agree with everyone who expressed the idea that *going down* to the kids level is absolutely not silly at all. Kids are kids and people think what they want. Teaching involves setting yourself at a level that is slighly above the kid's level and help him reaching it, making little progression at a time.

Why would you think of what other people are thinking of you if you play with puppets? Are you going to Japan to present an image of the masculine male to kids that young?

However, I do not really agree with the idea of focusing on learning the primary language first. Since My family comes from Hong Kong, cantonese is my mothertongue, but since I spent 7-8hours at school per day, I was also able to pick up french very quickly. Even nowadays, despite the lack of vocabulary (not gotten much practice) in cantonese, I can speak without any accent in both languages.

However if it is indeed a 2hours/day course, it might indeed be useless...

Anglo-Canadians speak and write French at native level,really ?
Didn't say that. Read more carefully.

otoko said:
I don't think a foreign language is needed by most of the Japanese population most of the time.
With the age of the population where it is, and where it's going, that is perhaps true for the ancient ones here, but with globalization an eventuality, Japanese have to learn something. Chinese, Korean, English, whatever. Business at home is failing. Science at home is stifled.

otoko said:
You point out that teaching youngsters English is to motivate them for JHS and HS. I don't see how that works. There will be kids who won't care for learning English at all. There will be kids who might have an interest but it would depend on the teaching methods or the teacher.
Yup, depends on that all right. I agree 101%. And, all the more reason why things should change right now, instead of suddenly implementing English in elem ed without training the J teachers how to do it.

Motivation is the key with the younger kids. Should be pretty obvious. If they think playing soccer is fun (not all will, of course, but give them the chance), then they will have more of a reason to go out for the team in HS and university. Same applies to English, except that it is actually mandatory in schools, so why the heck NOT motivate them before they get smacked in the face with nouns, verbs, dangling modifiers, etc.? Then, there is also the theory of getting them while they are young and their brains are more receptive...

otoko said:
Empirically I have not met many Japanese children, or adults who have gone through English language learning who have good English language ability. I do not think the blame can be on the education process.
Me, too, on the first point. Totally disagree on the second point.

otoko said:
I do not think the blame can be on the education process. I think it is more simple, they don't care and there is no motivation to care because there is little use for it.
Do you see the contradiction you just made, re: motivation? They may not see a use for it, because of the poor teaching methods and the educational system, which leads them to believe that getting good grades in HS is only a means to an end -- the stupid college entrance exams. Change this as well as motivate them early!

Oh, and by the way, there ARE reasons for needing English these days. TOEIC tests are required by about 80% of J businesses, for hiring, transfers, and promotions. If nothing else, this should stand out, but who tells the kids?

I understand the benefits of learning a second language. Most won't have any use for those benefits. Is "exposure" to a second language in school beneficial, I do not know.
Again, you contradict yourself in 2 consecutive sentences! Which side of the fence are you on? Personally, I highly support taking a second language in HS (or earlier). Did so myself, even though I never used the language later.

Let me finish with an anecdote. Japan Times had this a few years ago. A Japanese businessman wrote in to say he had finally learned, almost too late, the value of English. In HS he never saw a need for it because he was going to work for his father's company instead of going to university or work for some big company. A few SHORT years later, the company decided to look abroad for business trade and other reasons. They needed someone to handle faxes, email, and other communications in English. His was the most recent education in English, so his father appointed the responsibility to him. He had to struggle to relearn what he had ignored, but it turned out to be far more important than he had imagined.

Never say never.

You should be concerned not about yourself and your image playing with puppets, but on best how to teach children. After seeing your previous post on how to marry a Japanese woman, and then this... it is very clear that your priorities are wrong from the start. Don't even apply please.

Very good statement ! I agree with your opinion !

I don't think kids that age should be subjected to the influence of gender roles so young, if this has anything to do with it, and not just the teacher worrying about his own masculinity.

I would rather be raped at that age then taught and coerced into being an image of masculinity.

Just teach your kids like you want to do, you don't have to listen to anyone? You are the teacher >__<' so TEACH!!!

okay wait that sounded a bit ridiculous, no what I want to say is just do whatever you like in a way that you want to teach. If you think that puppets will help then do it, if you want to dress like an action figure or a kangaroo then do it. Like Uncle Frank said a laugh of a child is more worth then money.

To teach a child requires the strenght to become a child.
A good teacher always comes up with something new. 👍

When I read this post, my first reaction was, Gawwwd, who this person is who is coming up with such silly ideas and questions..
Now that NewHero has got enought dose, I would sum it up thus for him.
In case you want to teach, teach with good intentions and innocence thinking that these are just kids, and that they do not, I repeat DO NOT, care if a guy is masculine enough or not in holding a puppy or a teddy. All they need is happiness and they get happiness in such little things.
In case you think you care too much about your "Masculinity" and less about "Innocence", I guess teaching is not the profession for you.

Me, too, on the first point. Totally disagree on the second point.
Do you see the contradiction you just made, re: motivation? They may not see a use for it, because of the poor teaching methods and the educational system, which leads them to believe that getting good grades in HS is only a means to an end -- the stupid college entrance exams. Change this as well as motivate them early!

No, it was not a contradiction. There are those who will have no interest regardless of the methods used. There are those for whom it will matter. These are two different groups. That was my point.

There should be effort to help those with the motivation/interest. Those with no interest should be able to take something else. If I understand correctly you are saying there is a causual relationship between English teaching methods and motivation to learn English. I don't agree. Then if they change the methods then all students will be motivated to learn English. I highly doubt that.

I don't think the blanket approach being used is an effective use of resources. I think English should be an elective course. To do that English should be eliminated from the college entrance exams.

Oh, and by the way, there ARE reasons for needing English these days. TOEIC tests are required by about 80% of J businesses, for hiring, transfers, and promotions. If nothing else, this should stand out, but who tells the kids?

I think there is a disconnect between what people think is required and the reality of most workers. Let us say they started English education early, from 1st grade through HS. After twenty years when these children have done their 12 years of grade school and another 4 years of college what percentage will have ended up in positions where English is needed? Over a longer period of time where several classes have graduated and have started working. They now form a significant part of the working population. I still think the percentage that needs English is still small relatively. Has this been an effective approach to schooling? Has this been an effective and efficient use of resources? Can you still justify teaching everybody English?

Again, you contradict yourself in 2 consecutive sentences! Which side of the fence are you on? Personally, I highly support taking a second language in HS (or earlier). Did so myself, even though I never used the language later.
Let me finish with an anecdote. Japan Times had this a few years ago. A Japanese businessman wrote in to say he had finally learned, almost too late, the value of English. In HS he never saw a need for it because he was going to work for his father's company instead of going to university or work for some big company. A few SHORT years later, the company decided to look abroad for business trade and other reasons. They needed someone to handle faxes, email, and other communications in English. His was the most recent education in English, so his father appointed the responsibility to him. He had to struggle to relearn what he had ignored, but it turned out to be far more important than he had imagined.
Never say never.

I didn't know I had to be on one side of the fence.
I think on the surface English language education sounds like a good idea. At the early stages exposing children to English might be a good idea. I have not researched whether there are studies on this. Taking a long view though I become more skeptical.
Your anecdote is just that, an anecdote. Your anecdote could very well be any language. Justification for teaching millions of children year after year it is not.

No, it was not a contradiction. There are those who will have no interest regardless of the methods used. There are those for whom it will matter. These are two different groups. That was my point.
There should be effort to help those with the motivation/interest. Those with no interest should be able to take something else. If I understand correctly you are saying there is a causual relationship between English teaching methods and motivation to learn English. I don't agree. Then if they change the methods then all students will be motivated to learn English. I highly doubt that.
I don't think the blanket approach being used is an effective use of resources. I think English should be an elective course. To do that English should be eliminated from the college entrance exams.
I think there is a disconnect between what people think is required and the reality of most workers. Let us say they started English education early, from 1st grade through HS. After twenty years when these children have done their 12 years of grade school and another 4 years of college what percentage will have ended up in positions where English is needed? Over a longer period of time where several classes have graduated and have started working. They now form a significant part of the working population. I still think the percentage that needs English is still small relatively.
What you are saying is so true. Japan needs to re-think about its approach to English education.

Has this been an effective approach to schooling? Has this been an effective and efficient use of resources? Can you still justify teaching everybody English?

Definitely, the current system is an inefficient way of using resources. However, the justification of teaching English to everyone is not as simple as we wish to be. That is, the scope of current compulsory education is not limited to what is important and useful in life. If the sole purpose of English teaching was the usefulness, then I would agree with what you are saying. But, what are taught in public school generally include impractical knowledge. Say, what is the purpose of teaching complex mathematical concepts like calculus to all high school students? Music and art education will be included in this group of subjects. What about classical Japanese?

It seems that in order to reform English education in Japan, this issue of high regard for impractical knowledge teaching, or others might call broadening perspectives, needs to be somehow get around. Unlike the US, where education mostly translates into practical knowledge, Japan has many stabling blocks to head for such an efficient, effective approach.

Back
Top Bottom