What's new

Martial Arts Question

Swifty

先輩
16 Oct 2003
Hey I was just wondering what the mainstream or most common form of martial arts is used in japan?

or is it equal among all kinds?

also I am interested in a quick paced and more attack based martial arts, what would you recommend?

Im not sure about this.. ..i read somewhere on the internet that Kendo is pretty popular in japan.

..and that is a quick paced, attack based martial art. It looks amazing!!

Porl''

I heard, for popularity, it depends on age group, Social stature, and need.

Kendo is extremely popular in School kids and people of a higher standing where I heard most blue collar workers lean more towards karate, jiujitsu, judo, or something more physical.

aikido, karate, and Judo are pretty univeral though

***AGAIN, this is just what I have heard and seen in my many years. Don't hold me to this as word of god or a brandishing against your opinion!

does kendo only use weapons?

cause I would prefer a hand to hand sort of thing ^_^
(more useable :D)

Kendo is actually the practice of Swords. Basically, it uses armor and bamboo sticks.

If your looking for something hand to hand, you have to decide if you want a hard style or a soft one. Defense only or a mix or what. There are a lot of great styles out there. Aikido is my favorite, the only thing is that, you ONLY use it as a defense. NEVER punch, kick, hit anyone.

P.S. I don't know of any MA that doesn't use weapons in the advanced stages. Even Aikido has the bo and a few others.

-if you perform kata you have to do as your style is... Fact is, all moves are same in every ryu... but you have to give it your own note....in fights the speed depends on you...

what are your guys feelings on Capoera?
(if you know what that is)

just curious ^_^

but I think that Tia-Chi would be interesting to try :D

(capoera below)

attachment.php

yeah thats what tiger/eddy uses in tekken
its cool
i wanna learn aikido for the defense would also like to learn tai chi and wushu

wushu rocks from an attack stand point. There is a Taijutsu school not too far from my house. I have been stopping by there...it is amazing.

Wushu is what Jackie Chan uses, ne? Or at least his base?

yuh i think its his base but he knows all kinds of styles snake, crane, drunken boxing, etc.

Capoera is really good to watch! its got very interesting origins aswell..:)

I've never thought about what jackie chan's main style is... ....i always put it down to kung-fu.. but thats a bit or a generalisation isn't it. doh! He knows lots of fighting techniques doesn't he? drunken etc..

Porl''

Drunkin would be fun to learn lol

but I dont like drinking....so I guess I cant learn it

ahh well

I dont know if being drunk is a requirement for learning drunken boxing. i would think it would take a loooooong time to learn it if you had to be drunk. lol :D

The drunken boxing i've sometimes seen in town on a weekend evening doesn't appear nearly as skillful or graceful as the proper art form. hehe....

It'd be quite interesting to look it up on yea olde ninja-net. -goes off to look-

Porl''

P.s. I was going to put it in one of my other posts. I would love to learn Kendo. it looks amazing.

I do shorinji kempo which is really good, like aikido its a self-defence but more agressive in the countering. Its kinda like karate, judo and aikido in one.

Jackie Chan is actually a dancer, what he does is coreographed moves, not actual fighting. :( Still looks nice

I did kendo for 6 months, great exercise, very extreme in some schools. Its compulsary to learn at high school and you'd find that nearly every school has a kendo club (Im yet to find a school without a club, but they do exist). Its all fighting using a sword (ken - sword, dou - way of).

I've done Shotokan, originally a Japanese style. I loved it so much. But now that I'm older I've been looking for something less physical. I was looking at Kendo. I'm not quite ready for TaiChi yet (I figure I'll do that when I'm a granny! haha)

some answers

ok well jackie chan went to the peking opera school where wushu is one of the things he learned which is basically a modern compilation of most chinese styles and forms while some consider it dancing, i do not (since i study this)
i think that kendo, karate, judo, and aikido are the most popular martial arts in japan as people have previously stated...if you want to learn a very attack based art you should take either karate or tae kwon do or judo or jujitsu if you like grappling (throwing people on the ground)
well i hope this cleared things up😄

I don't like Jackie Chan,he makes crappy movies and he isn't that good in martial arts.

if you want attack based martial arts
learn Jeet Kune Do, invented by Bruce Lee
it combines the strong points of various styles of martial arts

Jeet Kune Do is about putting all the power into one spot while attacking,and attack FAST

Water is insubstantial. By this I mean you can not grasp hold of it. You can not punch it and hurt it. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow and it can crash...be water my friend."
---Bruce Lee

I might also note Bruce Lee is a big advocate of water for drinking :)

What ive been learning lately uses the bodies meridians and points to full advantage, only 138 points to remember, all very useful to disable someone without fuss or damage. :D

"Water is insubstantial. By this I mean you can not grasp hold of it. You can not punch it and hurt it. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow and it can crash...be water my friend."
---Bruce Lee

I had forgotten what a great quote that was. Thnx for reminding me. Bruce Lee was... IS the Man!!! It's a shame his life had to end so prematurely... Who knows what great films we would be enjoying now if he had not passed (off-topic I know but had to be said 8-p).
:)

Back
Top Bottom