What's new

Marshall plan??

Bentley

後輩
5 Apr 2004
Am I just misinformed but I thought the Marshall plan, brought a change to Japan in many ways like the goverment, education and economy. But I can't find anything about this anywhere.

i'm not a history expert but i am pretty sure that the marshall plan was used in post WWII europe for reconstruction of the NATO nations and all so that they could build up a defense agaisnt the USSR. hope this helps you.

i also hope that i am not completely wrong

As Shiningblue says above, the Marshall Plan was for Europe....Particularly, it was meant only for WESTERN EUROPE in 1948. That is why it is argued that (by some) that the Marshall Plan helped build the iron curtain across Europe. (Those who said 'yes please' and accepted the aid became more or less American allies during the Cold War.)

Regarding Japan, they also received economic aid, but NOT the Marshall Plan. The aid for Japan consisted of the Economic Reconstruction in Occupied Areas,(EROA-prog) and Government and Reflied in Occupied Areas (GARIOA-aid). These two programmes did not better the economy significantly, and Japan still suffered from inflation and the dollar-gap created after WWII. Therefore, Mr. Dodge was dispatched to Japan in the beginning of 1949 to make the Japanese economy blossom with his strict "Dodge Plan." However, it was not until the Korean War broke out in 1950 that the result of the Japanese economic reconstruction could be seen.

NATO was established in 1949, the Marshall Plan was announced in 1947 and took effect in 1948, hence, the Marshall Plan is NOT connected to NATO.

About education and government in Japan after WWII, again, this was not due to Marshall Plan. The reform you are probably thinking about were implemented by MacArthur, the SCAP-commander who was in charge of the occupation.

Hope this information was helpful!!!

oh yeah....hehehe forgot about the two year gap between the two...i was just trying to point out that the nations which did recieve the help from the U.S. did evenutally become NATO, right?

shiningblue said:
oh yeah....hehehe forgot about the two year gap between the two...i was just trying to point out that the nations which did recieve the help from the U.S. did evenutally become NATO, right?

Yes, to an extent you are absolutely right...However, it is a very broad generalisation...There are many exceptions to this 'theory.'
Some countries which received aid from the Marshall Plan joined the NATO very late....E.g. West-Germany joined in 1955, and France left NATO 1966, (but joined again later...I think 1979-80). Greece and Turkey joined in 1952, but Greece left but joined again later.

Again, Canada, who is, and was, during the Cold War a member of NATO, of obvious reasons, did not receive Marshall Aid.

Switzerland received Marshall Aid, but is not a member of NATO...

And today, many Eastern European countries and Baltic countries are members of NATO, but did of course not receive MArshall Aid back then, as they had the Warsaw Pact instead.
😜

well, yah...i meant just in the beginning yanno...if you need to group together all of the countries that recieved aid i just thought of NATO...uh....yah...ok ::bows to the might of miss apollo's european history knowledge::

Back
Top Bottom