What's new

Marriage and tradition in japan and other countries

Tokis-Phoenix

先輩
23 Sep 2005
This is juist a curiosity thread, but i know that in every part of the world where there is some form of marriage between couples, there are also many traditions or traditional things that come with marriage or must be done.
For example, in more christian western countries like England or America, the bride wears a white wedding dress and the man wears a formal suit (usually in black, grey, navy or brown). Rings are a very traditional part of christain marriages (i wonder where such a tradition stemmed from?) and so is getting married in a church. There are certain things like how the man is not to see his soon-to-be wife in her dress before the wedding, or must even spend the night apart from her.
So what are traditional marriages like in japan and how do they vary from each part of japan (like traditional tokyo marriage is different from traditional osaka marriage?)? What are tradition marriage customs like in your country? Are there any marriage traditions native to japan or ones borrowed from other countries like China?

Many Japanese people now prefer to do "Western-style weddings", with the bride wearing a white dress, the groom a suit, and even getting a (fake) priest and a chapel, and rings, eventhough they are not Christian. I personally can't understand that.

Btw, my wife and I didn't get any religious ceremony at our wedding in Japan, and don't wear rings (I see it as a stupid, old-fashioned tradition with too much Christian connotation, even if its origins predate Xianity).

Maciamo said:
Many Japanese people now prefer to do "Western-style weddings", with the bride wearing a white dress, the groom a suit, and even getting a (fake) priest and a chapel, and rings, eventhough they are not Christian. I personally can't understand that.

Maybe it is cheaper? I've seen some prices for brand new uchikake/wedding kimono and kakeshita and stuff, and they are super expensive (thousands of dollars)- i know you can pick up such things second hand often for just a couple of hundred dollars, but i doubt most couples would want to wear second hand clothing on their wedding day unless it had been passed down through the family.
I've heard renting kimono though in japan is now pretty big buisness now days ☝ (what does this smiley mean by the way?)?

Maciamo said:
Btw, my wife and I didn't get any religious ceremony at our wedding in Japan, and don't wear rings (I see it as a stupid, old-fashioned tradition with too much Christian connotation, even if its origins predate Xianity).

I guess if you are not christian, or religious for that matter, there isn't much point in having a traditional religious marriage- but then again, some people only see the point in marriages from a religious point of view and justification.
Me and my fiance, we've talked about marriage a bit...But i am wary of the meaning of such a thing since i am not christian and not really much a religious person- if i got married in a church it would be for the sake of my family and the fact it would probably be nice getting married in a church rather than it being a religious thing for me.
But then again, even many christian couples now days who have traditional weddings do not follow through with even some of the most basic traditions like no sex before marriage or wearing a white wedding dress.

A tradition for New Orleans is the second line. The second line isn't just done at weddings though its also done at funerals, and on Super Sunday. The second line is when you have an all brass band and they play old jazz tunes as well as brass versions of popular modern tunes. And you parade around the wedding hall/neighborhood of the deceased. People wave parasols and handkerchiefs as well while dancing its really fun.

Second line - Wikipedia
Jazz funeral - Wikipedia

Edit: The Jazz funeral to many may seem disrespectful to the dead as supposedly Death is not a time to be happy but sad. But we New Orleanians have a saying:

When a child is born you cry for that child is being born onto a world of suffering and pain. Whan a person dies rejoice for that person is going home to be with the Father and will never feel pain again.

well...I think all this is very interesting.Being married myself,i can relate to what you all have posted.The traditonal weddings are very expensive with all the new things you could add or tack on to the ceramony itself.We got married in my husbands families house to save money.Its true about wanting to wear something new..how does the saying go?"Something used,something new,something boroughed,something blue". This is another Western tradition..is this tradition anywhere else?I took German class in Highschool and my German teacher told us that ,in Germany, its not uncommon to hold a wedding and its reception for next to 20 days.A huge celebration for the newly weds.I dont know a lot about other cultures and thier weddings as much as i would like to know..so i will continue to check this thread.

Back
Top Bottom