What's new

Making a Documentay As My FYP

lv426

先輩
27 Jan 2005
I'm going to Japan this summer for a month, and I thought this would be the perfect opertunity to do my FYP as I will be starting my 3rd year afterwards. So I thought I would do a documentary, as I will be traveling to lots of diffrent places before staying Tokyo for the last two weeks.
I want to do something that represents a realistic Japan, not something such as Japanarama or Adama and Joe Go Tokyo (great as they are) which I feel a tad steriotypical. But at the same time, my audience ar going to be between 18-35 and British. So there needs to be something that will apeal to them. So if you wouldnt mind answering some questions for me, maybe I can find out what other people would find interesting?

1) What nationality are you?
2) What age: -17 / 18-35 / 36-45 / 46+
3) Male / Female?

4) Are you interested in Japan?
5) What parts of Japanese culture do you think are interesting?
6) Are there any parts of Japanese culture that you think British people would not be awear of?
7) Are there any parts of Japan that British people are awear of, but could be explained or explored futher?
8) Anything else that you think maybe relevent?

Many thanks for this help, and sorry for any spelling but I dont have Word handy.

What a wonderful idea, lv426, i'm very jealous that you have such a fascinating project on the go!! 👍

Just a thought, but will you taking all the footage on digital medium? If so, don't forget to back it up, all along the way, and at every single chance you get. I love the possibilities that digital brings, but the potential loss of data is something that makes me wake up in the night screaming at times lol.

I'll most happily answer your questions for you. I have lived in Japan for a few years, so my replies are somewhat 'informed', just please be aware of that.

[By the way, as a Brit, I hope you've seen this thread!!:

UK - Meet Idea]

1) Brit

2) 18-35

3) Male

4) Of course!

(I think most people on this site will be, so this Q won't reflect the general GB populace)

5) Personally i'm fascinated by most of it, and it's one of my life's goals to understand a great deal more, but that's because what I learnt while I lived there greatly piqued my interest; before I arrived there were only a few aspects that interested me really. To expand: my main interests now are Japanese calligraphy, the food culture, pottery, the Japanese 'aesthetic', recent social history, and the intransigence of the elite/political class/plutocracy.

6) Most of them! Actually everything except the superficial stuff...I think many Brits know about sushi, ninja (what I would call mis-knowledge), animation, sumo, kimono and (alas) the schoolgirl fixation...many young folk know a lot about Japanese video games, but perhaps little else (?)

7) Food in general (the main focus by far for me, and the one aspect i'd personally base my whole project around!), sushi, Sumo, ninja (this isn't really important in any sense, really, imho), the train system, working life.

8) Too much to write in a month! Post back at me and i'll happily answer anything/everything!!

mos :)

Thanks for the reply, some interesting answers there. Pitty more people couldnt do the same :(
At the moment I'm thining of doing quite a genre doc, where the main thing is showing the contrast between the traditional side of Japan and the more modern side. I think that gives me quite a broadrange of things to cover, as I'm traveling round places like Hiroshima, Kyoto and miyajima before moving on to Tokyo!

I feel a little hesitant to take the survey since I don't think I could do much good for the mean results. I have been living here for some time, and have no idea what might interest young folks in the UK...except for some basic things that might interest any young person.

In coming here, if you'd really like to be a little less 'steriotyped' than usual, I would strongly suggest seeing more of the never heard of countryside too. It would be harder, yes, but would surely present a better picture of the 'real Japan.' MM

Back
Top Bottom