What's new

Looks and Dating

canadian_kor

Thrill Seeker
19 Jun 2004
You guys think that good looking people are more succesful at dating? I think so, because looks determine how other people respond to you largely. Self-image (which is significantly shaped by others) determines how you interact with other people (esp. people of the opposite sex). For you X-Files fans, remember this dialogue between Mulder and Scully?:

Mulder: "Hey Scully, if you could be somebody else for a day, who would it be?"
Scully: "Hopefully myself."
Mulder: "That's so boring... I mean wouldn't you even be tempted to try out someone else's existence for a day? Live your life as somebody else?"
Scully: "Looking like someone else, Mulder, and being someone else are completely different things."
Mulder: "Well, maybe it's not. I mean everybody else around you would treat you like you were somebody else. I mean, ultimately, maybe it's other people's reactions to us that makes us who we are."

(From: "Small Potatoes" [Season 4/Episode 20]).

Anyone disagree with this?

can't. It's too true.

Look at many gorgeous people. they tend to become socially handicapped as age hits them.. they've never had to have any sort of people skills, because their looks have made them instantly popular. So when they lose their looks, they tend to be disliked because they have no likable personality to fall back on. (In some cases.)

Really depends on the individual on how they tackle the issue...looks isn't everything when your brain is as naive like a child right?

Erm..It's the personal character that counts the most.

canadian_kor said:
maybe it's other people's reactions to us that makes us who we are."

This may be one factor in determining your characteristics, but I think most people aren't so completely affected by the reactions of others, and they, themselves play the biggest role in determining who they are.

I don't know, I've never fancied really, really good looking guys or pretty boys ^^; Though a friend told me (he's a guy) that girls are less fussy about what a guy looks like than guys are about girls... Go figure?

Beautiful faces are more symmetrical than "ugly" faces, so maybe pretty people are just easier to analyse visually - less challenge ;P Also, maybe if you know you have a nice smile, for example, you're likely to smile more so of course people treat you differently than if you sulk all the time.

ummm well usually looks are a big help in dating, i would tend to think.

looks are nothing if you don't have a brain and good personality...looks are good to have, but they don't always guarantee that person is sucessful or nice, etc...

I think

Looks determine only the first impressions , or attraction. But once you get to know a person's personality is hatefull , you are gonna hate their looks as well. Believe me , I saw it .

Furthermore, an "ugly" person will turn pretty in your eyes once you've loved em . So yeah , it doesn't matter..... I Think.

I agree its completely true...cuz I remember thinking,after some of my bfs and I've broken up, that some of them weren't really attractive..then again that doesn't really matter to me much...

God is it really this hard to find someone who'd be remotly interested in me...I mean..I'm not picky...so what's wrong with me...guess I should try to stop stressing, but things keep happening and I can seem to be happy...something always gets in the way and I never even get a chance..I just want someone there...

well never give up I have the same thoughts all the time and sometimes I just blame it on my looks and I say to myself that thats the reason why I can't get a gf but yeah don't give up I know how ya feel and there is someone out there for ya theres someone out there for everyone it might just be a while to find that person. So just don't think of what you don't have and think of what you do have cause theres someone out there thats always a lil worse of than you are ok I know that might not have made much sense but when I wrote this it made sense to me

mad pierrot said:
True. On the other hand, I know some guys who are really ugly but have good game.

😌

HA! Well I guess that leaves me out! I'm ugly and don't have good game!

:D

Brooker said:
This may be one factor in determining your characteristics, but I think most people aren't so completely affected by the reactions of others, and they, themselves play the biggest role in determining who they are.

I'm in total agreement with Brooker's statement. To add to this, not everyone will react with the same level of positive or negative (subconscious?) feelings towards the same person - that is, the concept of beauty can be quite esoteric. I've not changed too much in appearance once I hit adulthood, but even as a child I noticed that preconceptions, assumptions, and prejudices coloured others' interactions with me regardless of how I behaved or what I said.

Although not beauty-related per se, this was particularly obvious from when I'd try telling the truth about something, or (unconvincingly) lying to someone (not about anything particularly serious, but...) - most times if the lie fit someone's preferred notion of who they thought I was, they'd believe it, and they'd totally act as if I were joking when I'd tell the truth.

i may be totally off, but I have been told by a few people that in a guys instance, girls will go for personality more than looks? do you agree?

yep they are always goin after a challenge. this is where the whole if its too good to be true then it is false comes in

i think good looks matters on a first impression like Suki-Yaki said they are gonna be treated better than someone whos not good looking for example... A good looking person is more likely to get a lighter sentance in court for a crime, then if it were a ugly person taken from the book "paranoid"

kirei_na_me said:
Because with the girlfriend, it's a challenge. They always love the challenge, it seems.

Yes, and that is why men are supposed to act like they don't care when confronting a girl they like - which, of course, is a challenge in itself.

Knives said:
i think good looks matters on a first impression like Suki-Yaki said they are gonna be treated better than someone whos not good looking for example... A good looking person is more likely to get a lighter sentance in court for a crime, then if it were a ugly person taken from the book "paranoid"

Welcome to the harsh reality of this world. Not only do good looking people succeed better in the dating game, they also succeed better in the job market, criminal cases, etc. Sucks to be in this world sometimes, eh? :)

it does seem to me that girls want me more when they find out i have a G/F like the other day i was talking to this girl i met and i mention somthing and i said "me and my girl friend ect." all of a sudden she said "you have a girl friend????" and then she y became more intrested and flirty lol

canadian_kor said:
Welcome to the harsh reality of this world. Not only do good looking people succeed better in the dating game, they also succeed better in the job market, criminal cases, etc. Sucks to be in this world sometimes, eh? :)

Is this like let's hate the "good lookin people thread" ? I mean so wat of course pretty people will have a better time at dating and stuff, is normal, what are u tryin to prove? In general this is true, there are many many expetions, i see all that all the time, so ummm there is like conspiracy of the good lookin people to rule the world ? hmmm, should do smth about that, let's all round them up and use plastic surgery to make them averagely ugly so that the rest of us can feel better and more secure and what not.

Maybe u guys instead of like worrying about good lookin people being all supreme and u not havin a chance, maybe u should actually go up to the person u like and try to do smth about it instead of like comin up here and sayin how much it suks that we are not good lookin.

Back
Top Bottom