What's new

Looking for the wierd and wonderful

craftsman

24 Sep 2006
There is a man along the road who built two traditional mongol huts. He lives in one and lets tourists stay in the other.

In the next village a chiropractor practices from a tree house surgery.

The only italian restaurant is run by an ex-salaryman who had had enough with the rat race so he bought a book of how to cook Italian food and opened up a rather delicious restaurant out of a freight container.

There are a group of hippy-like people who live a few villages away and live in old houses with no electricity or water (You can drink the rivers here). They look the part with bongo drums and 'ethnic' stuff all around them, but they all have immaculate new looking cars outside. Perhaps someone forgot to tell them about that part of being a hippy.

I used to be fisherman and one of the crew was a Swiss trained pastry chef who spoke fluent German, spoke exactly like 'Hard Gay' and looked like a pirate with a limp and only one eye.

All of these people are Japanese. Not the kind of Japanese people you find described in a guide book, but Japanese nevertheless.

Has anyone else met or heard/read about any equally wierd and wonderful Japanese people?

I have one friend (haven't seen him recently, afraid) who is a Japanese hippy. Great singer (I met him at an international party) who used to have a band. He does part-time work, still lives with his mom. Funny guy, but not too independent.

I have one friend (haven't seen him recently, afraid) who is a Japanese hippy. Great singer (I met him at an international party) who used to have a band. He does part-time work, still lives with his mom. Funny guy, but not too independent.

I used to know someone just like that. Was he a 'real' hippy or a sanitised version like the hippies near me?

In the next village a chiropractor practices from a tree house surgery.

That sounds amazing. I have a total weakness for treehouses! 😍
I wonder, if his patients felt better from the exercise required to climb up and down there? :?

(Ignore me, I'm not contributing, just commenting 🙇‍♂️ )

Kinsao,

A comment is just as good as a contribution!

Have you seen this hotel? If you like tree houses, you'll love this one. here

awww that is so cool. i love tree houses!! i am going to live in one you know👍
*jams out to maddona*
i kinda have a backwoods way if thinking, i am not really a hippie as some people have tried to label me as such.

anyway..............
craftsman: that tree hous was preety high up. i wonder how it fares against the weathers? it would seem to be a bit warmer because of how high it is.

I used to know a guy who rich, super rich. I have no idea what he did, but I don't think that he had ever worked a day in his life. Despite this, he had a mansion of a house, Ferrari, and a summer home with a horse. He owned a horse in Japan. He was the richest hippy I ever met... and I mean Hippy with a capital "H". Water bongs, dread-locks, ever tie died shirts. One crazy guy.

Another thing was his hand. His left hand was deformed (since birth). It was like Lobster-boy from the freak shows in the twenties. He seemed to like it though. One unique son of a gun.

The wierd and the wonderful

@ Craftsman : thankyou, and what a cool hotel! :haihai:
In summer I went to this treehouse, which is a restaurant. Apparently it's the largest treehouse in Europe. It's pretty nice, but I prefer something a bit smaller, more like your hotel. :) I like, uhh, living on the edge a little... :unsure: :D
Cool site for those who have still some ape in them -lol-:
http://www.castles-carey.co.uk/products.htm

I used to know a guy who rich, super rich. I have no idea what he did, but I don't think that he had ever worked a day in his life. Despite this, he had a mansion of a house, Ferrari, and a summer home with a horse. He owned a horse in Japan. He was the richest hippy I ever met... and I mean Hippy with a capital "H". Water bongs, dread-locks, ever tie died shirts. One crazy guy.
Another thing was his hand. His left hand was deformed (since birth). It was like Lobster-boy from the freak shows in the twenties. He seemed to like it though. One unique son of a gun.
The wierd and the wonderful

Thanks JTalker - he sounds like he fits the bill perfectly.

I've got some more people to add to my wierdos list - this time from the city:

My Japanese father-in-law is as mad as a hatter. Some may have read about his toilet inventions in another thread, if you didn't here it is:

My father in law has perhaps got too much time on his hands since retiring his salaryman job. He has rigged lasers in the toilet so that when you walk in - the light switches on and the toilet seat cover lifts up automatically. The seat is of course warm and you can adjust the temperature and you have the choice of jets of water on a control panel on the wall. Angle, speed and water temperature can be adjusted by pushing the buttons. And of course when you are done, the light goes off again and the toilet shuts. Now that is a toilet and a half.

But the front door is also opened by a laser hidden behind a wooden owl's face on the porch and swings open automatically. He has also been making a robot for the past year but doesn't do much yet apart from turn its head and flash its lights.

His cousin is equally off the Japanese planet. He was until recently a local politician in Chiba who refused to wear anything but a T shirt for local government official meetings and events. His campaigning was done only by bicycle and he was responsible for mass demonstrations by disabled activists and subsequently many escalators in stations.

I can think of another politician who looked more the part with a dark limousine and splendid offices in Sapporo. Despite being head of Hokkaido Prefectural Government, he decided that if I was going to walk across Japan (He had seen a news report) I had to do it in style and dropped everything to spend two days making what the Japanese call a 'rear car' - a kind of rickshaw - with his own hands. This was a politician of very high standing who along with his chauffeur were climbing over recycle dumps in their expensive suits. I don't think I stopped laughing for the whole time I was there. He was a hilarious man. Once they finished it was a rear car to end all rear cars and he even triumphantly accompanied us out of Sapporo.

Knowing this man and second cousin above - I find I can't quite condemn all Japanese politicians.

Back
Top Bottom