What's new

Looking for help and advice

JapanFanMan

後輩
1 Aug 2005
Could someone please help me !! I have very recently returned from a month long trip to Japan and i fell in love with it . I was literally heartbroken when i had to leave and now i'm home i would like more information with regards to living in Japan. I don't have a degree to get some high powered job over there,i'm just a humble fitness instructor from the north west. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, in general you need a degree for even the most low-powered job. Either that or a Japanese spouse. There are exceptions, however, so you might wish to scour the following for a loophole:

VISA

Thanx for the link

Thanx for the link Mike,i'll sit down with that site tonight when i get home . I'd be grateful if you could set me straight on any information i find .

Teaching foreign languages abroad

Hi again, finding the time to do some research on moving to Japan has been rather difficult over the last few days, because i've been working every hour i could to help pay for our trip to Tokyo : ) I have uncovered quite a lot of information now though on Teaching foreign languages abroad, the qualifications needed,pay, visa etc. Would you be able tell me about the viability of Teaching as a ways and means of aquiring a visa ?
Thanks in advance Paul

I know nothing about the working holiday thing, so take that into account when reading the rest of this post.

Being willing/able to teach English isn't a prerequisite for a visa to teach. Being eligible for a visa to work is a prerequisite for teaching English. It all hinges on your eligibility for a working visa. In most cases that means having a college degree. English schools by and large don't care what your degree is in. It could be engineering or basket weaving; they don't care just so long as your fill the bill on the visa requirements.

You could look into finding a job as a fitness instructor at Japanese health clubs.
Unfortunatelly, I didn't find a site that could be useful at the moment, but I know there are many foreign club members, especially in metropolitan area like Tokyo, and you might not need a college degree for that.

Just a thought.

Golds Gym

Thanks again for all the help ! It's genuinely appreciated ! Whilst i was in Tokyo i visited the Golds gym in Harajuku and spoke with an American instructor there about obtaining a visa to work. He mentioned some of the fitness instructors at the gym had physiology degrees, i can't compete with that ! :) To be quite honest i'd take just about any job whatsoever if they'd let me in , i've always wanted to go to Japan , ever since i was about 10 11 years old. 15 years later, to go there and find out it was everything you wanted it to be and then some was a hell of a thing .

I have a friend who does work as a fitness instructor. I believe he is, like myself, without a degree. PM me your e-mail address and I'll forward it to him and ask if he wouldn't mind answering questions from you about it. He can be a cantankerous cuss, so no guarantees.

Back
Top Bottom