28 Apr 2008
I've seen:
Hellevator
Rampo noir
BR I,II
Adition
Visitor Q
hm.... I can't remember anymore....

do you guys recommend any J-horrors? Do you have a link for the video? (veoh.com???)

dont ask for link. go and rent a movie (or find it online, but dont expect links here)

now to your list i can just add Marebito. interesting movie, indeed. i am sure i can think of more later 😊

p.s. also, try searching this forum for similar threads, there must be a lots of them!

I wouldn't call BR I or II horror films, more action. Visitor Q isn't really a horror film either, just weird.
Try Uzumaki, Ichi The Killer, Chakushin Ari (There are 3 films, but the fist is by far the best) and of course the Ring trilogy.

BR is horror, cuz it displays gore and violence and disturbing/shocking images...that's what makes a basic horror. Doesn't always need to be "creepy", cuz those are then even more close to be called thrillers or supernatural thrillers.

Anyways, if this is both the kind of movies you look for and want the best, then:

Honogurai Mizu No Soko Kara aka Dark Water

Ju-on (2: Final ) aka The Grudge (2: Final )

Ringu (2/0: Bâsudei) aka The Ring (2/0: Birthday)

Shibuya Kaidan (2) aka The Locker (2)

Akumu Tantei aka Nightmare Detective

Jisatsu Sākuru aka Suicide Club

Chakushin Ari (2/Final) aka One Missed Call (2/Final)

Ōdishon aka Audition

Kairo aka Pulse

Tales from the Dead

Rinne aka Reincarnation

Parasaito Ivu aka Parasite Eve

And as last I will recommend this to:

Ugetsu Monogatari This one is from 1953 and in black and white, but a MUST see and also been said to be the first actual Japanese horror movie to be made, also with yurei...so it's One To Watch if you want to enjoy some great classic and are a true film-fan.

There are many more, but these are worth mentioning according to me.

BR is horror, cuz it displays gore and violence and disturbing/shocking images...that's what makes a basic horror. Doesn't always need to be "creepy", cuz those are then even more close to be called thrillers or supernatural thrillers.
You get blood and violence in the lethal weapon films, martial arts films such as the baby cart films or Azumi, or even Monty Pythons The Meaning of Life (When Mr. Creosote explodes) and non of them are horror film. BR might display shocking moments, but I wouldn't class it as horror. The likes of Hostel, Saw and other slasher movies are closer to the horror genre because the situations require a disturbed character who is essential for the violence and suspense. Kiriyama might be that type of character, but is not the same as Jason or Michael Myers. He is only violent because the situation he is in lets his psychotic personality comes through, but he is not essential to the film.
I see BR more as a near future sci-fi film depicting a dystopian future. A sci-fi/thriller rather like 1984 or even Akira. Even the book is discribe as a high octane thriller, not a horror book.

窶堋?窶堙、-窶堙ヲ窶堋、窶堋ア窶堋、 listed some great suggestions. Did you want just straight J-ニ築ニ停?ーツー movies or did you want ニ竪ニ陳哉丹ニ陳 types? I don't know of that many girls that are into the latter which includes some pretty gritty films like ナス竄ャ窶氾ャ窶堙古」ツゥ (Shiryo No Wana) or ツ鞘?披?ケs/ Naked Blood. ニ竪ニ誰ニ湛ニ弾 (Exte) is a recent J-Horror thats pretty good. The cult film 窶「テ斥徨ニ筑ニ歎ニ停?愴狸ツーニ停?ケ (Kataude Machine Girl) is getting a lot of buzz at the film festivals and is coming out on R1 DVD in June. This might be worth checking out as well.

Well, here an official explanation Mycernius ^^

Answers - The Most Trusted Place for Answering Life's Questions

When ya scroll down:

Horror is also a genre of film and fiction that relies on horrifying images or situations to tell stories and prompt reactions in their audiences. In these films the moment of horrifying revelation is usually preceded by a terrifying build up, often using the medium of scary music.

Extreme example: The mondo films Faces Of Death (that are banned in more then 40 countries) is Horror in it's worst way, yet it doesn't have a Jason or Evil Clown running around ^^

And is a documentary, yet classified as horror. Reason for that is due to the explicit images (gore and disturbing/shocking)

Faces of Death (1978) - IMDb

The only disturbing and shocking in Monty Python is their acting and humor XD

I had a look on Imdb and they class it as Action/Drama/Horror/Sci-fi/Thriller. So covering all the bases there:)
I still wouldn't really class BR as a horror, but that is my opinion. I definately wouldn't class BRII as horror, more a mis-step. As for Visitor Q, it has moments (quite a few really) that you would class as shocking situations, but would you really class that as horror?
In some ways it comes down to what the audience and censors class as horrifying and shocking moments. A horses head in a bed, a la The Godfather, is shocking and horrifying, but that is a drama/thriller.
If the studio wants to market it as a horror/drama/comedy, etc. then people take it as that rather than let their own opinion judge the film. A bit like people calling 28 Days Later a zombie film. It is not a zombie film, they are not zombies, but that is how it was pitched and people accept it as.

Back
Top Bottom