What's new

Looking for dairy-rich shops in Tokyo

flixflex

後輩
6 Sep 2016
Do you know any stores in Tokyo which are specialized in dairy products? Not necessarily those which only have dairies but any store whose dairy collection is above average Japanese convenient and grocery stores. I am looking for lactose-free yogurt (preferably those derived from cow milk, not e.g. almond or soy) and aged cheese. Can't find these things in my local groceries and convenient stores.

From what I find in the FAQ of the Japan National Committee of the International Dairy Federation:

Q. なぜ乳糖不耐症を患う人がヨーグルトを消化することができるのですか?

A. 大きな理由はヨーグルトに生息する乳酸菌が乳糖を「前もって消化」してくれるから です。他の重要な要因は、たとえば、ヨーグルトの堅さ(やわらかさ)です。

I am left with the impression that people who are lactose-intolerant are able to digest yoghurt, mainly due to the bacteria pre-digesting the lactose.

Does regular yoghurt cause you digestive distress?

Thank you for the reply. Yes I have tried having ordinary (normal lactose content) yoghurt and I suffered stomach discomfort afterward.

Did you try the National Azabu Supermarket? They cater to the international types. I seem to recall them having a more international dairy/cheese selection. You could also try making your own yoghurt. It's not that difficult. Have you tried Lactaid? That might help you digest the normal stuff.

Did you try the National Azabu Supermarket? They cater to the international types. I seem to recall them having a more international dairy/cheese selection. You could also try making your own yoghurt. It's not that difficult. Have you tried Lactaid? That might help you digest the normal stuff.
I will try visiting National Azabu when I have time. When I make my own yogurt I can't think of a way of knowing how much lactose has been changed to other substance.
I tried using Amazon and Rakuten and it seems like Lactaid does not ship to Japan via these websites.

Back
Top Bottom