What's new

Looking for a Kanji -> Hiragana online text converter.

Tempo

後輩
19 Nov 2012
Hello,

I'm looking for a Kanji (かんじ) to Hiragana (ひらがな) text converter. If anyone knows where to find it, please let me know.

So far, I have found this site (Link: 学習者の日本語理解を助けるツール) that offers similar websites with the ability to add Hiragana on top of Kanji characters on Japanese websites, which I find it helpful for me to read.

Especially this link here: ふりがな 付けます

Usually when I see some Kanji characters, I tend to read them as if they are pronounced in Traditional Chinese, instead of their actual Hiragana counterparts. I would like to get to know the counterparts by hoping to see the Hiragana texts for the Kanji characters I tend to stumble upon.

Thanks in advance.

If you use Firefox there's also Rikaichan.

You have to be a bit careful when using automated tools like that as in some cases there is more than one possible reading. For example, 生物 pronounced せいぶつ means a living thing, and 生物 pronounced なまもの means raw/unprocessed food.

You might want to look into the sort of study sheets Japanese students use (漢字プリント or similar search terms should bring some up to print out, or there are various games online or for things like the Nintendo DS), which test you on giving the correct hiragana for kanji words.

If you have an android device, there is a free kanji learning app called 小学生手書き漢字ドリル targeted at japanese children that is similar to the software that you'll find on the Nintendo DS.

小学生手書き漢字ドリル1026 - はんぷく学習シリーズ - Apps on Google Play

They'll have simple phrases or sentences like

eg:

(いち)ばん

紙を(き)る

and you'll have to write in the kanji corresponding to the highlighted hiragana. (the handwriting recognition is pretty good)

As its totally in japanese, it assumes that you'll know the vocabulary already but as its targeted at children it shouldn't be too bad (easy to look up in a dictionary)

this particular version covers the 1006 kyouiku kanji.

edit:

there's also an IOS version

‎小学生手書き漢字ドリル1026

Last edited:
If you know how to clone and build software from github, get KyTea and install it on your computer.

Not only can it convert any Japanese text to its pure kana representation (it's what I use for producing the kana version of all the texts on Macaronics), but also word segmentation (i.e., it can separate the individual words and phrases within a sentence) and tagging (part of speech analysis).

Back
Top Bottom