What's new

Logistics of traveling by shinkansen (shin-Osaka to Tokuyama)?

MikeSD

後輩
18 Oct 2010
I will be going to Japan in March. I have been there before many times. But this time, we will be flying to Osaka and taking the shinkansen to Tokuyama. I have never taken the shinkansen before and we will have a lot of luggage.

I'd like to know what to expect before I get there. I'm not interested in a rail pass. So I'm only interested in a single trip. Also, I would like to hear from people who have actually made this trip vs. just cutting and pasting what they read on some site. ;-)

1) Is it convenient or reasonable to take the shinkansen, with luggage for 4 people. Each will have 2 suitcases (1 large, 1 small)?

2) Where is luggage stored? Overhead bins? Between seats? Other?

3) Can tickets be purchased, in advance, before leaving the U.S.? Or are they only available in Japan?

4) Assuming I can only buy tickets in Japan, is it best to buy reserved seats or standard? What is the likelyhood that trains will be booked?

5) If tickets can be purchased in the U.S., what is the best web site for doing this?

6) Is there anything else I should know about traveling the shinkansen, that I might overlook?

Thanks,

There are express services with locations inside the airport and you can have your bags sent directly from the airport to any destination you like. It will be among the larger favors you have ever done yourself; humping luggage on the trains is no fun.

Back
Top Bottom