What's new

Living/Working in Japan with minor tattoos

AroundTheWorld

Devourer of Souls
25 Jun 2008
I'm considering getting two approximately four inch tattoos over the bottoms of my wrists. I'm also considering a move to Japan once I finish my JLPT2 (taking JLPT3 this December).

The question I mean to pose is whether me having these tattoos would interfere (even more so than being gaijin) with my day to day affairs?

I've heard that there are negative connotations attached to those with tattoos because of the yakuza traditions, and that people get turned away from certain onsen, and that a lot of people think of it as a tradition for thugs.

They also kind of look like the tattoos branded on prisoners around the wrist or leg in many cultures (three lengths of chain per wrist, ends broken on either side).

If anyone could give me their opinion, I would appreciate it.

You won't get lynched, but it will make a bad impression in Japan for the rest of your life and you'll constantly have to deal with the issue by hiding it, covering it up, keeping it concealed, or being prevented from applying for certain jobs.

Japan and opportunities, or having a picture on your arm. Your choice. There is NO positive to having tattoos in Japan. At least get it in a place that no one will ever see unless you show them (even then you just got yourself kicked out of most onsens I've been to). Getting them on your wrists, when you are planning to go to Japan, in my opinion is just social suicide and foolish.

Guess I'm not getting tattoos. Thanks for the input.
Considering your plans, this is probably the best option. Perhaps you could get them done elsewhere that is more easily concealed, if you really want them.

But since when were tattoos on your wrists considered "minor"?

Great idea

I think it is best not to get tatoos if you want to spend some time in Japan

On some job applications that I have filled in they specifically asked if I had any tatoos, and if so, where.

I would say, that if you MUST get a tatoo, get it in a discreet place

Then it will only possibly mess up your sex and bath life.

I would have loved to get this massive floral thing in light blue down my back but I saved money, and my potential career by leaving my skin untouched...except by biro (shameless wannabe)

Back
Top Bottom