What's new

Living Language vs. Eleanor Jorden

red_luthansa

後輩
15 Apr 2005
I'm a fairly advanced beginner (although still definitely a beginner) and am looking to buy a new course - I think I've decided between Eleanor Jorden's "Beginning Japanese" parts 1 and 2 with the tapes or the Living Language Basic/Intermediate + Advanced course. I know both are written in romanji but I am very confident with kana and will transcribe both myself.
Which do you think would be better - I am self-studying although I can talk to native speakers if I need help, and I prefer a more rigourous approach than the JBP series, which to the best of my knowlege, both of these courses offer.

Cheers for any help anyone can offer.

Just curious, what is your goal? I've used the "Reading Japanese" book, but found it... strange. Its transliteration seems out of date. I didn't like it much. Personally, I would recommend 'Japanese for Everyone' along with the tapes (if you can afford them... tapes are ~$100, book is only ~$20 - $30) Its heavy on grammar & vocab, and uses (practically) no romanji. Plus, it uses sentence structures that a native speaker might actually use :)

Poke around the forum & I'm sure you will see JfE comes highly recommended... the Genki series is also recommended (although I have not used it)

Hrm, sorry I'm not really familiar w/ those courses you mentioned.

Anyways, I agree with @dc_johnson45 . Japanese for Everyone rocks... And actually now you can find the tapes for as low as $40, I think.

Genki is great too (I have used both Genki and J4E), but I like J4E more because it's more targeted to self-learners. All the exercises have answers in the back of the book so you can check yourself. With Genki, only about 30-40% of the exercises have answers on the audio tapes, and those which aren't on the tape have no answers given.

Japanese for everyone?

I've heard many great things about this book but unfortunately I live in England and as far as I can tell it would cost be nearly ~$100 to get the tapes - and I really can't afford that - I don't suppose anyone knows where I can get them cheaper?

Hrmm, sorry I didn't understand, did you say 100 US dollars, or 100 pounds?

In any case, here is the site I was referring to which has it for $40:
japanbookplaza.com.au/shop/product_info.php/products_id/22644

Back
Top Bottom