What's new

Living expenses

Chipi

Yancha
10 Mar 2003
I asked about this also in my thread "traineeship in Japan", but I thought it might be better to make a thread to it on it's own.
So, I should make some scolarship applications, and also calculations for my school and of course for myself, about how much money would I need for staying in Japan (possibly Kyoto ) for 3 months in the summer.
Maybe you nice people could help me? :)

I allready had some info from my friend staying in Sapporo, but I think the more answers I get from different people, the better estimates I can make.So especially people who are living/ have lived in Japan, and especially Kyoto: Could you tell me how much money do you or your friends etc. spend a month / a week / a day for:
-food (and do you cook yourself or eat at restaurants, bars etc.)
-rent + electricity and such
-public transportation
-telephone bills
-different activities such movies, clubs etc.

...and what ever comes to your mind, what might be useful.
If you don't want to share this information on this thread, I'd really really upreciate if you'd for example send me a pm or e-mail. It's better the more people answer these questions...Thank you!!

.. Oh no. There are no answers..
This is really important, would be a really big, important help for me. Why won't you guys help me with something like this, important, but you help some other ppl with much lighter stuff (like clothes, make-up etc.)..? I can't find this info on traveller's guides.
I'm not accusing, just...still hoping for some nice answers(!)..

"Why won't you guys help me with something like this, important, but you help some other ppl with much lighter stuff (like clothes, make-up etc.)..?"

That's a rather uncharacteristic remark coming from you... but I digress.

"Could you tell me how much money do you or your friends etc. spend a month / a week / a day for:
-food (and do you cook yourself or eat at restaurants, bars etc.)
-rent + electricity and such
-public transportation
-telephone bills
-different activities such movies, clubs etc."

That really depends on what kind of lifestyle you want to lead while you are there. It's always a good idea to bring enough cash/traveler's checks to cover that initial first month so that you can budget accordingly afterwards.

Re: food, chances are you will probably eat out at least a couple times a week (if not more). Depending on whether or not you want to budget for groceries so that you can prepare your own meals, live off convenience store food (Seicomart, Lawson, Sunkus, 7-11, etc.), or eat out regularly, it's hard to say with any certainty how much you can expect to spend (anywhere from as little as 40,000 upwards of 70,000 yen/month is not out of the question).

A lot also depends on what kind of eating habits you have. Can you get by on "regular" fare for instance or do you like to indulge in more pricey offerings? And if when dining out with friends you like to treat yourself and splurge a little... chances are you may find yourself spending quite a bit more than you had intended and budgeted for yourself.

Re: rent and utilities, these vary almost as much as individual allowances for food. Generally speaking, utilities are not very high across the board although depending on where you live and what season it is, your heating costs might vary considerably (Sapporo this time of the month for instance).

Re: public transportation, again that all depends on what kind of lifestyle you have for yourself and if you are planning on traveling a lot. I drove my own car pretty much everywhere I went the last time I was living in Japan (except during Winter) but you should be able to buy a Rail pass to get you where you need to go.

JAPAN RAIL PASS | ジャパン・レール・パス

Re: telephone bills, it all depends on how often and how many times you feel the need to pick up the phone and call someone (and whether or not those are international calls). If you plan on staying in Japan for any extended period of time, you might want to consider getting a cell phone and signing up for one of their international long-distance plans if available. They can be a bit pricey initially but it might be worthwhile for you in the long run.

Re: recreational activities... again it all depends on (can you guess what I am going to say next?) LIFESTYLE. If you like to go out and paint the town red so to speak, clubbing with friends, singing karaoke, dining at all those posh urban cafes, shopping for the occasional souvenir to send back home or something to liven up your pad, etc. etc. then you can expect to spend quite a bit of cash (equal to if not more than your budgeted food allowance).

Well, I like money so ill probably do the cheapist things. How much does it all cost if you do things smart a try spend as little as you can?

I have always wondered this question, how does the native people survive if prices are so high?

They make a Japanese wage that allows for such costs :)

Iron Chef took care of much but I'll add a few

Re: Rent and electricity - small places to be had for about 50,000 yen a month, so I hear. However, you usually have to sign a lease. I have not heard of a three month lease (could be out there). You might be able to share with someone who will be sticking around. Electricity is anyones guess, but I spend about 5,000 to 6,000 a month. My hot water is on the electric bill, not the gas. However, Kyoto in the summer is horrible for heat, so your AC will be running all the time.

Re: Food - All of what Iron Chef said. Just FYI, not eating out and not eating a lot of meat, I live off 3,000 yen for food to last about 5 to 7 days (lunch 5 days a week at the canteen, 4550 a month).

Public transport - get a bike. You are in Kyoto.

Movies - with student ID 1500 yen. Meal out, I count on 2000 yen a head. Clubbing, never appealed to me.

Telephone - I spend a lot of time on the phone and have internet figured into the total. Costs around 17,000

Based on that... Adding a few thousand Yen extra to live comfortably, also an extra 10,000 for housing, You would need to make around 998.00 a month, so roughly 12,000.00USD a year to live comfortably...

Hiya,

Haven't had time to write to the forum for a while, but I read your answers. Thank you all of you!
..And yes, I was quite desperate, tired and moody on my second comment, so I apologise for the dark tone of it.. :) ..(especially Iron Chef ;) )
I have to read and think about your answers later, so I'll get back to this topic on a better time, now I'm in a bit of a hurry. But I'd want to survive with as little money as possible, so nothing that luxurious. The main problem is where, and on what cost, will I find a place to stay. I had counted on my crude knowledge that I'd need about 4000 euros to get by.

Also, there is a show that has been showing lately in Japan. Where a few people 2-3 people live in an apartment(in seperate rooms) and try to survive with only 10,000 en about 100.00. The person with the most money not spent is the winner.

SO if you really are a penny saver and go for the bargins and watch this show.. you could probably live in japan with only 1,200 USD.... But that depends on your situation where you live and whether or not you have to use public transportation or not.

Originally posted by nihonjintaylor
Also, there is a show that has been showing lately in Japan. Where a few people 2-3 people live in an apartment(in seperate rooms) and try to survive with only 10,000 en about 100.00. The person with the most money not spent is the winner.

SO if you really are a penny saver and go for the bargins and watch this show.. you could probably live in japan with only 1,200 USD.... But that depends on your situation where you live and whether or not you have to use public transportation or not.

It's a pity that show isn't on tv here in Finland..would be interesting ;)

But by 1,200 USD, do you mean I could survive the three months with it? It would be absolutely great, but I doubt that I could do that... but if you meant 1,200USD/ a month, it's what I was thinking about..so, is that little? .. :/

I'm not sure on how much your housing is going to cost, and since everytime I have gone to Japan I have never had to worry about rent or food costs, I haven't had to really scrape up my pocket change to survive... but a good Idea for living japan to the fullest is if possible have 2,000Usd(212,200.01en) per month.

4-60,000 窶ー~for housing
1-20,000 窶ー~for utilities
the rest for food and travel.
maybe another 10,000窶ー~for a cheap cell phone.

also, besure you have a place to stay, and All your money to pay up front since most people require that for apartments....

actually, if you don't have a person to stay with, it'll be good to do some research about getting a place in Japan beacause I heard it could be a long hard deal....

I checked out the pages of the Osaka English House in Hirakata, it seems to be quite nice! Something exactly what I'm looking for. And the price is ok as well, 51,000yen for a month.
..and 25minutes to Kyoto, that's ok.. :)

But 2000usd for a month is way, way, too much for me. I'm not looking for luxurious "tourist life-style" so I think I'll settle for something more simple ;)..I'd be there working and exploring, experiencing and above all, learning...not just having fun in clubs etc.. :)
But thank you anyway, for the tips.

Back
Top Bottom