What's new

Letter to my Ōsaka Host Family

ledojaeger

後輩
19 Jul 2015
I hope this is alright to request.
I wrote a letter to a host family in Ōsaka. I wrote it in English first, then tried to repeat it in Japanese. If anyone could give me pointers and tell me if I'm on the right track, I cannot express how appreciative I would be.

Main Text:
To the (Name) Family,
Thank you very much for your letter!
As soon as I got it, I was so happy.
Thanks for the pictures as well. I'll treasure them!
Your family is so kind. Your son and relatives, too, were great people.
Also, Mr. (Name)'s English skills were impressive. He knows so much! I enjoyed talking with him in English.
The okonomiyaki and takoyaki were delicious. Gochisōsama deshita!!
Thank you for taking me to a buffet, having fun conversations, and letting me stay in such a cool room.
I wish I could have spent more time with you. Let's keep in touch. I want to know more about Ōsaka!
Let's meet again. Eren

本文:
(名前)さん達へ、
手紙を書いてくれてありがとうございました。
貰ってから、すごく嬉しくなりました。写真もありがとうございます。大切にしますね。
お宅(ご家族?)はとても優しいです。息子さんも親戚もいい人だと思います。
それに、(名前)さんの英語スキル偉かったです。たくさん知っていますよね!彼と英語で話すことは楽しかったです。お好み焼きとたこ焼きは美味しかったです。ご馳走さまでした!!
ブッフェに連れて行ったり、楽しい会話をしたり、かっこいい部屋に泊まらせたりしてくれてありがとうございました。(名前)さん達と一緒にもっと時間を過ごせばよかったです。
連絡しましょうね。大阪についてもっと知りたいですね。
また会いましょう。エレン

I hope that this is not too long.
I'm wondering about my usage of (name)-santachi, and also otaku vs. gokazoku.
Thank you very much.

You did quite well!👍 It's enough to convey your feelings but here's some modifications.

(名前)さん達へ
(名前)さんへ (達 and the comma are unnecessary.)
手紙を書いてくれてありがとうございました。
It's not wrong, but お手紙ありがとうございました。 is the most common.
お宅(ご家族?)はとても優しいです。
みなさんはとても優しいです。
息子さんも親戚もいい人だと思います。
息子さんも親戚の方々もすごくいい方たちでした。
(と思います is unnecessary. )
それに、(名前)さんの英語スキル偉かったです。
それに、(名前)さんの英語スキルも高かったです。 / 英語もお上手でした。
たくさん知っていますよね!
(言葉を)たくさんご存じですよね!
彼と英語で話すことは楽しかったです。
彼と英語で話すのは楽しかったです。
お好み焼きとたこ焼きは美味しかったです。
お好み焼きとたこ焼きも美味しかったです。
(は gives a nuance of "only" here, i.e., it means "The other dishes were not good".)
ブッフェに連れて行ったり、楽しい会話をしたり、かっこいい部屋に泊まらせたりしてくれてありがとうございました。
ビュッフェに連れて行っていただいたり、楽しい会話をしたり、素敵な部屋に泊めていただいたり、本当にありがとうございました。
(名前)さん達と一緒にもっと時間を過ごせばよかったです。
みなさんともっと一緒にいられたらと思います。
連絡しましょうね。
これからも連絡を取り合いましょうね。
大阪についてもっと知りたいですね。
大阪についてもっと知りたいです。
(ね is unnecessary. )

Toritoribe,
Thank you for so kindly (and thoroughly) going through that. I can imagine it was painstaking. I'm very grateful!!

ご存じ, I'm guessing, is a keigo form of 知る?
I noticed いただく used a lot as well, and as of yet, I'm uneducated on its usage, though I've heard it a lot. 丁寧な日本語でしょうか。I suppose I'm confused on why:

Tsurete ittari -> tsurete itte itadaitari
tomarasetari -> tomete itadaitari
But kaiwa o shitari remains the same.

My original intent for 「泊まらせたり」was 'let me stay'. Perhaps I played with the conjugation too much? Does 泊めていただく carry the meaning 'let me stay'?

Thank you for all your help.

Yes, ご存じ is a polite noun form of 知る. It's common to use more polite language than conversation in written language.

連れて行ったり can be misinterpreted that the subject is the writer, i.e., you, even if してくれて is put at the end of the list. That's why I used 連れて行っていただいたり. 会話をする is mutual, so I didn't use 会話をしていただいたり, but ビュッフェに連れて行っていただいたり、楽しい会話をしていただいたり、素敵な部屋に泊めていただいたり、 is more appropriate (sounds a bit repetitive, though).

Ahh, I will have to keep that fact in mind when I'm writing letters and things.

Your explanation of why you used itadaku was clear. I will definitely have to go and research the use of the word more.

Ahh, if I could trouble you once more...

Is it correct to use such a phrase: あなたの日本語は上手ですね!
My confusion lies in whether or not I can actually say 'MY Japanese', 'YOUR English', like we do in English. That's why I opted for 'Mr. Niimi's english skill.

Also, if I can say 日本語スキルが高い, can I also say 日本語スキルが短い? Thank you very much.

日本語お上手ですね。
あなた is omitted when you are talking about the addressee's skill since it's obvious from the context. You need to mention ~さん in your letter, though.

The antonym of スキルが高い is スキルが低い.;)

As I wrote in my initial post, your original is quite good. If I were your host family, I would be quite pleased to receive such a nice thank-you letter. (To tell the truth, though I revised your sentences, your host family would never misinterpret your intention even if it contains those tiny mistakes.:))

Thank you very much for your help, Toritoribe. Your corrections and explanations were clear and you are also very encouraging. どうもありがとうございました。

Back
Top Bottom