let's gaijin plastic surgery makeover

den4

先輩
15 Nov 2002
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-japan13.html

Plastic surgery changes face of Japan to Western one

October 13, 2003

BY GARY SCHAEFER Advertisement

TOKYO -- Risa Arato never liked her hooded eyes -- even her friends said she had a stony gaze. So the 19-year-old saleswoman decided to remake her face -- and to do it on ''Beauty Colosseum,'' a prime-time Japanese TV show in which people get free makeovers from a panel of ''beauty experts'' including a cosmetic surgeon.

''I used to be afraid to show my face in public -- I was a real indoor person,'' said Arato. ''Now I can look people in the eye.''

Women are more than ever changing the face of Japan by walking into cosmetic surgery clinics and walking out with rounder eyes, bigger noses and fewer wrinkles.

''Cosmetic surgery used to have a shadowy reputation,'' said plastic surgeon Toshiya Handa. ''It was the kind of thing you only heard about celebrities and bar hostesses doing.''

By one credit agency's reckoning, spending on cosmetic surgery climbed to around $25 million last year, up 50 percent from 1994.

Cosmetic surgeons say insecurities about typically Asian looks can be partially explained by Japan's long infatuation with images of the West -- Arato said she idolizes Julia Roberts -- though most of the clinic's testimonials simply describe anxiety about looking plain. AP

For some people plastic surgery can be a good thing and really help, but it is not something to wade into like they sometimes do on the TV show that was mentioned (a whole different thread). Risa's surgery, as are probably the vast majority really are, seems at first to be fairly superficial. But specifically for Arato, she might indeed have a form of social anxiety disorder. ''I used to be afraid to show my face in public -- I was a real indoor person.'' It is difficult from the article to tell just how gripping or serious that fear was. Since mental issues are not really addressed in Japan (that has been changing), it is hard to tell how many people going in for surgery are just going for looks, while how many others are dealing with real and possibly quite serious mental problems.

I do, of course, like the other posters, think it is best to be yourself and I am not putting down their posts, but things are not always so black and white as we would like.

The Other Way ??

I wonder if any foreigners dye their hair black and have their eyes slanted so they can fit in better ? When I was thinking of staying there, I'm short enough that I thought of doing it. I hated seeing signs saying no gaijens !

Frank

I have blonde hair blue eyes and average (american) height, 5'9"ish......

Would I stick out like a sore thumb if I went to Japan? :-/

sacredBlue - yes ;)

Frank - that could be an idea...... Somedays the attention is waaaaay too much. It would nice to be able to blend in at times :p

I'm going to admit something kind of embarassing. When my husband and I first started dating, I dyed my hair black thinking he would like it better, because it would seem more "Japanese". He then finally told me that one of the reasons that he was attracted to me was because of the fact that I had light brown hair and looked nothing like Japanese! How silly of me... :p

Growing Old !

Funny, when you get old enough, you don't care how you look half as much. I do wish they had a fat bank where you could go lipo suction some off for people too thin !

Frank

yah, I've heard of this being quite common in Japan. What exactly do they change about themselves? I've heard of the one eyelid and double eyelid thing, but that just confuses me. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Originally posted by kirei_na_me
I'm going to admit something kind of embarassing. When my husband and I first started dating, I dyed my hair black thinking he would like it better, because it would seem more "Japanese". He then finally told me that one of the reasons that he was attracted to me was because of the fact that I had light brown hair and looked nothing like Japanese! How silly of me... :p

Yeah, I have read quite a few times before that one thing you don't do when dating a Japanese man is try to be Japanese if you aren't Japanese! ^^ Since Japanese men would date a Japanese woman if they wanted another Japanese person, not a gaijin woman. So the reason they're dating you is because they're attracted to what's different about you compared to Japanese women. :)

I think if I dyed my hair black I would look weird anyways. o_O;

Hmm....are quite a few Japanese men attracted to gaijin women though? Like if I went to Japan would I have Japanese men all over me? o_o;;
😍

probably

but "all over me" is sometimes not necessarily something to be desired
there's good attention and there's bad attention
know that knew, just saying jic

Originally posted by Kat
Hmm....are quite a few Japanese men attracted to gaijin women though? Like if I went to Japan would I have Japanese men all over me? o_o;;
😍

I think a lot of them are attracted to Western women, but I have heard a lot of Western women in Japan have a hard time hooking up with them. I think the main reason is that the men are just intimidated. The language barrier is a big issue too. Even though they know some English, they are going to be scared to use it most of the time. Especially with an attractive woman.

My husband and I were friends first. I think he was always attracted to me, but the situation being what it was when we met, we kind of had to be friends first. I think it made the transition much easier...and a whole lot of fun... :p

if they are drunk though, i don't know where the intimidation goes
i gave that girl this website address, but she hasn't joined yet i guess...

Originally posted by kirei_na_me
I think a lot of them are attracted to Western women, but I have heard a lot of Western women in Japan have a hard time hooking up with them. I think the main reason is that the men are just intimidated. The language barrier is a big issue too. Even though they know some English, they are going to be scared to use it most of the time. Especially with an attractive woman.

My husband and I were friends first. I think he was always attracted to me, but the situation being what it was when we met, we kind of had to be friends first. I think it made the transition much easier...and a whole lot of fun... :p

Well, being friends first is good for me actually because I kind of like to get to know the person well before actually dating them or at least get to know them to some extent. It would make me more comfortable in the relationship too since I'm quite shy.

So I actually think a Japanese guy would be just as shy around me as I would be around him.

I hope I can at least 'try' a relationship with a Japanese man at at least some point in my life anyway because I am very attracted to some Japanese men. ^_^; At least the way some of them look anyways!

One of my friends is the girlfriend of a Japanese guy. However, I believe he was born and raised here in Canada so I think that makes him more Canadian or western-like I guess. Dating a Japanese man from Japan is probably very different.

I am friends with a Japanese man who is actually a Japanese actor but he is much older than me! lol. He does think I'm attractive though and I think the same about him but I'm not going to start anything with him.
😌

Back
Top Bottom