What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Question Lesson 10 Question 20

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
(Moderator's Note: this thread is separated from Question - Lesson 9 & 10: The End | Japan Forum.)

upload_2018-7-29_16-55-4.png

upload_2018-7-29_16-57-58.png

(1)は: topical
(2)を: Oh we've seen that one before only it was taking a shower I think. I've looked up sample sentences:

upload_2018-7-29_17-4-37.png

(4)の: attributive
(5)が already seen and explained before.
(6)から:reason/cause
(7)に: Regarding 「入る」"to enter". I figured this was the kind of situation where a specific particle would come in play. I've looked up sample sentences and both を and に seem possible.

upload_2018-7-29_17-11-26.png

I'll go with に though as most sentences have 入る with に.
(8) This is the only one I'm not certain of I'd say. ストレス『blank』とれて. From what I gather, とれて is actually 取れる. In this case it means "disappear" out of the many meanings of 取れる. The most logical answer for me would be を as in the direct object of とれて. But this might be a case where が is used instead since it's an emotion, sort of like 好きです. I'll go with が.
Perfect score! Finished strong!
Now I only need to finish up on the remaining explanations and that'll be it for particles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
You missed 3.

The reason が is used here is wrong. を can't be correct since the verb is 取れる and 疲れ is not the object (hint: intransitive vs. transitive).
取れる doesn't express "emotion", by the way. In the first place, the object marker が is used for adjectives for sense/emotion, not verbs.
e.g.
敵が憎い 敵を憎む
音楽が好きだ 音楽を好む
数学が嫌いだ 数学を嫌う

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
(3)が: conjunction meaning but➡although in this case.
I think I wasn't clear in my explanation of (8), so just to clarify further:
I meant that ストレス was an emotion, not 取れて. This being said,
ストレス is a noun here, not an adjective. I would have said the reason is: When predicates are transitive adjectives or stative transitive verbs, the elements which corresponds to the direct object in English are marked by "ga".
But... ストレス is a noun and 取れる is intransitive. So I'd say が as the subject of the sentence.
取れる is intransitive which is why を is out of the question.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
(3)が: conjunction meaning but➡although in this case.
Correct.

I think I wasn't clear in my explanation of (8), so just to clarify further:
I meant that ストレス was an emotion, not 取れて. This being said,
ストレス is a noun here, not an adjective. I would have said the reason is: When predicates are transitive adjectives or stative transitive verbs, the elements which corresponds to the direct object in English are marked by "ga".
But... ストレス is a noun and 取れる is intransitive. So I'd say が as the subject of the sentence.
取れる is intransitive which is why を is out of the question.
Exactly. ストレスが取れる (intransitive, ストレス is the subject) vs. ストレスを取る (transitive: ストレス is the object).

Top Bottom