What's new

Leaving Japan - Money Back

Harvey

先輩
10 Jun 2002
Hello all,

I heard that once you have worked in Japan for a company for a while, if you leave the country before 60, you can get back some of the money that was automatically pulled from your salary to go to insurance and things like that.

Does anyone know exactly how this works or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any tips.

- Harvey

Sorry, I can't, but just wanted to let you know I did read the post. I hope someone who does know will stop by soon.

Last I heard, you can get back up to three years contributions to 厚生年金. Details available at the 年金 desk of your local city hall.

Approx how much money is going into that every year anyway?

Wondering how much I should expect to get back in case I ever leave.

If you have worked and payed into the pension for 3 years you will get about 3 months wages minus 20% for tax (which I'll come back to). You need to supply a form Dattai Ichijikin Saitei Seikyusho for the Kokumin Nenkin/Kosei Nenkin at your city hall. The forms can't be submitted in Japan, you have to file it from overseas.

You can also claim the tax back by collecting a Nozeikanrinin no todokedesho (gaikokujin-you) form. I think you grab this one from your local tax office. Then you submit that via a proxy in Japan along with the Shikyu Kettei Tsuchicho which is effectly a receipt of the pension payment.

How much you pay each month will be on your pay slips, shown as 厚生年金

How about when you pay pension for 20 years, and then you move out of the country. Can you get something back from that?

Mike Cash said:
Last I heard, you can get back up to three years contributions to ナ津コツ青カ窶扼窶ケテ?. Details available at the 窶扼窶ケテ? desk of your local city hall.
:p
There ya go.

Dutch Baka said:
How about when you pay pension for 20 years, and then you move out of the country. Can you get something back from that?

You get back 36months (3 years) worth, which works out to be about 3months wages. Doesnt matter if you stay 5 or 20, you get 3 years. Otherwise you hang around till your 60 and get your pension ;)

Dutch Baka said:

In that case, you may be better off to leave it alone and just draw the pension when you become eligible. I believe that if you have contributed for fewer than a certain number of years (25?) the total amount you receive in pension payments may not exceed the total amount you have contributed over the years. Still, that would beat losing 17 years worth of contributions.

International agreements between Japan and one's home country may make everything I said above a useless load of total crap. Also, I may be totally mistaken about everything I said. As always, with questions of this nature one is best advised to get the answers from the 窶扼窶ケテ? authorities rather than rely on hearsay from random knuckleheads on the internet.

Speaking as a random knucklehead, I just want to say that International agreements between Japan and one's home country may make Mike Cash above, a useless load of total crap.

Hey Harv, going to China?

Back
Top Bottom