What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Learning Scentence Structure and Syntax. Help?

bluemariodog

後輩
Reaction score
Someone mentioned in one of my posts that learning Japanese through the translation of Anime subtitles in a terrible way to start. Knowing hiragana and katakana, where would you recommend I start? Obviously words are important, but what about learning how context is understood in a Japanese sentence or series of sentences? What would be a good resource for that? By context, I mean how certain words are omitted after the subject has already been stated once before. It seems this would be a good way to start in terms of grammar, but I'm kind of free-balling this whole thing anyhow, and trying to learn on my own. Any advice is always appreciated.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Before asking a new question, you should respond to the replies to your question in your previous post.

mdchachi

Reaction score
As you should have understood in the other thread, they were translating for meaning not for study purposes. So the translation includes context, not just word for word. Not very helpful for language learners.

I think the most common suggestion you'll hear from people here is to diligently follow a good textbook. The Genki series is frequently recommended.

bluemariodog

後輩
Reaction score
As you should have understood in the other thread, they were translating for meaning not for study purposes. So the translation includes context, not just word for word. Not very helpful for language learners.

I think the most common suggestion you'll hear from people here is to diligently follow a good textbook. The Genki series is frequently recommended.
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out. Right now, in fact. Appreciate the help.

Top Bottom