What's new

Learning Material : Audio Course sugestions?

daiphoenix

後輩
22 Aug 2006
Hi there, I'm a beginner japanese self-student, working on spoken japanese. I've been learning with the Pimsleur compreehensive audio course (which is pretty good), and now that I'm nearing the end of the third part (which is the last one), I would like to ask for suggestions of other good audio courses and material to learn japanese. It has to be audio based, as Pimsleur, and not depend on written material (like the Genki Audio CDs do for example :/ ), although it can have some accompanying written material (again, like Pimsleur).
Thx!

I'm not aware of any audio courses that would take you above the level that Pimsleur level 3 would leave you at. I think if you've got that far it's probably time to attend some classes, get a tutor, visit Japan or the like. Of course I could be completely wrong as I realise Pimsleur level 3 isn't exactly anything approaching fluency. I would recommend some book learning though, there are a lot more things you can learn there now you have the basics from Pimsleur.

Like the previsous poster said, you're going to need to learn the writing system, grammar, particles, kanji, sentence structure (and it's flexibility), coloquialism, et cetera... You simply can not learn a language by listening to audio cd's only, and especially not Pimsleur's...

However, check out, https://japanesepod101.com/

...their audio content is free, and since you have to pay for the accompanying source material you can let cost be your motive in avoiding it there.

I'll encourage you to get a structured course like Genki, or even better than Genki is probably the underlooked & somewhat rare, Situational, Functional Japanese.

Baring that--- what I do is watch movies without the subtitles, and practice my comprehension that way. Listen to music, et cetera... I hope this gives you some ideas.

What is your comprehension level at now? What outside of Pimsleur are you listening to?

Last edited:
Like the previous poster said, you're going to need to learn the writing system, grammar, particles, kanji, sentence structure (and it's flexibility), coloquialism, et cetera... You simply can not learn a language by listening to audio cd's only, and especially not Pimsleur's...
I have read some written material, in the web, namely stuff about particles, sentences, verb conjugation, and other basic grammar notions, which are a nice complement to Pimsleurs, and are indeed best learned with written material.
However the bulk of the language study will be learning new vocabulary, and that can be done by audio-based means quite well. Note that I don't have plans to learn the kanji anytime soon, my interested right now is just spoken fluency, which certainly is going to take long. (also, I have read about the writing system and the kana, so that I would know what kind of phonemes are available in Japanese, and how to write Japanese in romaji)

However, check out, https://japanesepod101.com/
...their audio content is free, and since you have to pay for the accompanying source material you can let cost be your motive in avoiding it there.
I'll encourage you to get a structured course like Genki, or even better than Genki is probably the underlooked & somewhat rare, Situational, Functional Japanese.
Baring that--- what I do is watch movies without the subtitles, and practice my comprehension that way. Listen to music, et cetera... I hope this gives you some ideas.
What is your comprehension level at now? What outside of Pimsleur are you listening to?
My comprehension level is still very basic. It's certainly far from being able to listen to movies without subtitles. I'm not learning anything formal outside Pimsleurs, although I occasionally pick some new words from watching anime. I'm also collecting anime soundtrack songs 🙂:.
Thanks for the japanesepod101 suggestion, I'll check it out.

Back
Top Bottom