What's new

Learning Japanese - Tips and Tricks

ax

後輩
27 May 2003
Let's share your Learning Japanse Tips and Tricks here.
I am sure many of the member in JREF has somehow reach fluency in Japanese. Yokattara, Please chip in a few tips and tricks for us who are still learning.
I for one use many methods. I try to cram many vocabularies using JQuicktrans. I also try to speak everynight at the Izakaya no matter they understand me or not. I play Japanese squabble with Japanese to quickly absorb new vocabularies. I read tons and tons of Japanese emails at work so I am now daitai accustomed to the politesse of written Japanese.
If you have any tips and tricks, kindly share it with us.

ax

I liked using post it notes. I'd write the japanese word for something on it then stick it on the thing. Like ..... the word for door i'd put on the door ... the word for chair i'd put on a chair. That really helped seeing it everday I hardly had to work at memorizing.

Of course that only works for things you can stick notes on =o)

Also flashcards .... and i'd say the japanese words into my microhpone then play it back and try to remember what it means.

Get conversation partners, Japanese, People who are fluent and study partners.
It helps to be able to constantly read write or hold conversations in japanese to help you with constant recalls. One thing I like to do is learn new forms of grammar and immediately start putting them to use. After a few days you'll be able to use that type of grammar maybe 75% of the time when having converations. I learned some new ways of saying things and was able to immediately put them to use.
Alot of people say to not practice everyday but i think it helps. Even if it is a small amount. I try to use Japanese EVERYDAY whether studying or just reading and writing(typing). Every lil bit helps. I do think it is Very important to be able to write out Hiragana Katakana and Kanji. This is has been one of my down falls now I can't write 1/3 of the kanji that I can read. Writing helps you to memorize kanji to a point where you could probably read alot faster.
Try not to memorize what kanji symbols represent. but try to remember the readings.
I don't know how many times I see kanji in other usage but don't recognize b/c I only one particular way it's used. 😌

The biggest incentive you can ever have is an economic one; if your ability to earn a living depends on functioning in Japanese, you tend to learn faster and retain more.

I often say that I get the results of my Japanese proficiency test on the 6th of every month (my payday).

Back
Top Bottom